NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Just a thought for those already sharpening their pitchforks:

A) Pardew comes out and says "We've got £30m to spend, we're going to go on a spending spree!". All other clubs hike their prices up and we get fucked roundly in the ass spending £30m on 2 crap players bought as panic buys on deadline day

B) Pardew says he's "Trying to get the owner to spend" and is able to negotiate a lot of really good deals, and we still spend £30m by the end of the window

Which would people prefer? Why on earth would the manager come out and declare he has bucketloads of money to spend? What benefit could this possibly have to the club or our ambitions in the transfer market this summer?

Not saying B is definitely true, but to completely discount the fact that we're just being a bit clever about how we go about things is fucking madness.

[Cue all the "cockney mafia out" mob screaming "Waaaaa, but it's Ashley man, he's trying to destroy us!"]

What has been clear from the very start of Ashley's tenure is that he doesn't tell his managers how much they have to spend.

Whether that's just him being a cunt or playing his cards close to his chest so we don't get ripped off, who knows?

What has been clear from the very start of Ashley's tenure is that he doesn't tell his managers how much they have to spend.

Whether that's just him being a c*** or playing his cards close to his chest so we don't get ripped off, who knows?

I'd suggest the manager knows full well how much he has to spend. He's just (quite rightly) not telling the press.

Every club in the world knows we've got £35m burning a hole in our pockets after Christmas, we'd be mental to not try to play this down somewhat.

Just a thought for those already sharpening their pitchforks:

A) Pardew comes out and says "We've got £30m to spend, we're going to go on a spending spree!". All other clubs hike their prices up and we get fucked roundly in the ass spending £30m on 2 crap players bought as panic buys on deadline day

B) Pardew says he's "Trying to get the owner to spend" and is able to negotiate a lot of really good deals, and we still spend £30m by the end of the window

Which would people prefer? Why on earth would the manager come out and declare he has bucketloads of money to spend? What benefit could this possibly have to the club or our ambitions in the transfer market this summer?

Not saying B is definitely true, but to completely discount the fact that we're just being a bit clever about how we go about things is fucking madness.

[Cue all the "cockney mafia out" mob screaming "Waaaaa, but it's Ashley man, he's trying to destroy us!"]

:thup: Pretty much what I was getting at only seconds before!

Can't see anyone getting depressed or sharpening their pitchforks. There would be nothing wrong with Pardew saying he knew what his budget was without revealing it. That wouldn't push prices up at all.

What's strange (and worrying to some) is that he appears to be still unaware of what he has there is to spend, or that he has work to do to convince the owner to release some funds.

Looks like Gameiro could be going to PSG.

Hardly a step up tbh.

4th in Ligue 1 with a game in hand. Maybe he feels he's better suited playing there for a couple more seasons? They've got a pretty good squad IMO.

Guest Antec

Can't see anyone getting depressed or sharpening their pitchforks. There would be nothing wrong with Pardew saying he knew what his budget was without revealing it. That wouldn't push prices up at all.

What's strange (and worrying to some) is that he appears to be still unaware of what he has to spend, or that he has work to do to convince the owner to release some funds.

We're just trying to be a bit clever man

If the two players were say N'Zogbia and A.N.Shithotstriker AND we kept all the good players already at the club then you could feasibly argue that two was enough. Won't happen like that though.

Shiitøtstræikér’s just signed a new three-year deal with Middelfart G&BK :(

If the two players were say N'Zogbia and A.N.Shithotstriker AND we kept all the good players already at the club then you could feasibly argue that two was enough. Won't happen like that though.

Shiitøtstræikér’s just signed a new three-year deal with Middelfart G&BK :(

Bastard. :angry:

What's strange (and worrying to some) is that he appears to be still unaware of what he has to spend, or that he has work to do to convince the owner to release some funds.

Of course it would man. If he'd announced a budget of £25m and we still hadn't identified/succeeded in our targets by late August we'd be shafted by clubs knowing we still had that money sitting there waiting to be spent.

Same if we went in for a player early doors too, mind. If we play it clever we could get far better deals this summer without announcing our budget.

We picked up Tiote for £3.5m and Ben Arfa for £5m this season. Genuine quality for what, in this day and age, is peanuts for International class players.

It serves no purpose for anybody at the club to announce how much we have/don't have to spend, what good could it possibly do?

I'm not sure how transfer deals work (I'm sure it's not as easy as it is on FM) but if a player comes available who we're interested in and we speak (privately) to the club and tell them we have, for arguments sake, £7m left of our seasons budget, they could become interested to sell at that price. Whereas if we say we have £15m left they could say "We'll sell to you for £10m".

Just can't see how it would benefit anybody other than those impatient enough to want to know our budget, and the selling clubs.

EDIT: Just re-read your post Dave and noticed the 'without revealing what it was' bit :lol:

Apologies :thup:

What's strange (and worrying to some) is that he appears to be still unaware of what he has there is to spend, or that he has work to do to convince the owner to release some funds.

The part in bold is what he is saying, nobody knows whether he actually knows how much he has. Besides saying something like "I know how much I have but am not telling anyone" comes across as being smug and would still be an indication that we have money to splash. Given that most other clubs already probably assume we have the 35M to spend, Pardew's quote is the best way to create some doubt in the selling clubs' minds of how much we have.

Of course at this point we're all just speculating, the proof will be in the pudding come Sept 1st.

Of course it would man. If he'd announced a budget of £25m and we still hadn't identified/succeeded in our targets by late August we'd be shafted by clubs knowing we still had that money sitting there waiting to be spent.

Same if we went in for a player early doors too, mind. If we play it clever we could get far better deals this summer without announcing our budget.

We picked up Tiote for £3.5m and Ben Arfa for £5m this season. Genuine quality for what, in this day and age, is peanuts for International class players.

It serves no purpose for anybody at the club to announce how much we have/don't have to spend, what good could it possibly do?

I'm not sure how transfer deals work (I'm sure it's not as easy as it is on FM) but if a player comes available who we're interested in and we speak (privately) to the club and tell them we have, for arguments sake, £7m left of our seasons budget, they could become interested to sell at that price. Whereas if we say we have £15m left they could say "We'll sell to you for £10m".

Just can't see how it would benefit anybody other than those impatient enough to want to know our budget, and the selling clubs.

Did you misread my post?

Aye, see above!

:thup:

I doubt anyone expects him to come out and go 'we have £25m to spend' etc, I just think what's spooking people (who are naturally still suspicious about the club's direction) are comments from Pardew which suggest he doesn't even know himself. That would be more than a bit worrying at this stage IMO, you'd think he'd know the plan for the summer before he even took the job, let alone when Carroll was sold.

Unless he has no control over it whatsoever...

Can't see anyone getting depressed or sharpening their pitchforks.

"trying to get him to spend" f*** off man. Ashley promised reinvestment, so should deliver on it, the fat lying prick.

Mustn't have looked very far then Dave.

There would be nothing wrong with Pardew saying he knew what his budget was without revealing it. That wouldn't push prices up at all.

Agree he could say he knows his budget, but if he didn't explicitly state "My budget is £Xm" then people would still whinge.

There's honestly people here (Probably like chubby, above) who will only be happy if Pardew said "My budget is £25m" just so that they know there's a certain amount to spend so they can then decide whether they're happy with that or not, irrespective of the damage that would do to our intentions in the transfer market over the coming months.

After the Carroll scenario he's probably not going to make a guarantee that he's not 100% sure he can keep.

I think he'll bring in N'Zogbia, Ireland and a striker then look to replace Campbell and Enrique if they leave.

I would be surprised if we are still ion for Ireland tbh, and if it was me a right back would be on the list. We've got three at the club but none of them are up to much.

Guest Chubby Jason

Can't see anyone getting depressed or sharpening their pitchforks.

"trying to get him to spend" f*** off man. Ashley promised reinvestment, so should deliver on it, the fat lying prick.

Mustn't have looked very far then Dave.

There would be nothing wrong with Pardew saying he knew what his budget was without revealing it. That wouldn't push prices up at all.

Agree he could say he knows his budget, but if he didn't explicitly state "My budget is £Xm" then people would still whinge.

There's honestly people here (Probably like chubby, above) who will only be happy if Pardew said "My budget is £25m" just so that they know there's a certain amount to spend so they can then decide whether they're happy with that or not, irrespective of the damage that would do to our intentions in the transfer market over the coming months.

No. The fact he he obviously doesn't know how much he has and the fact he having to "convince" Ashley to spend is what's worrying. He shouldn't have to convince him of anything.

Guest taps01

ffs we brought more than 4 in last summer

Id be happy with four signings if they were of an adequate enough quality and there were no departures.

I think four signings is a realistic expectation this summer.

What does anything Pardew says at this moment in time regarding transfers actually matter? They all play this game at this time of year - throwing out non-committal soundbites about the number of new faces they want to bring in and acting all coy about their progress in the market. Managers aren't judged on what they say to the press before the window opens, they're judged on who they buy.

I, not being a complete fuckwit, will wait until the summer and see what happens rather than throwing a hissy about some throw away quotes in the local rags. Please join me.

What does anything Pardew says at this moment in time regarding transfers actually matter? They all play this game at this time of year - throwing out non-committal soundbites about the number of new faces they want to bring in and acting all coy about their progress in the market. Managers aren't judged on what they say to the press before the window opens, they're judged on who they buy.

I, not being a complete fuckwit, will wait until the summer and see what happens rather than throwing a hissy about some throw away quotes in the local rags. Please join me.

I'll sign up to that  :thup:

Guest taps01

Im wth you on that one.  Lets see what state the squad is in come the end of August.