NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

How many attacks does Defoe break up simply by getting the ball, putting his head down and shooting.  So frustrating.

He's a greedy cunt and he only managed 4 goals this season.  Definitely wouldn't be excited at the prospect of signing him.

Playing regularly as the No.1 striker at the club he'll get 15+ a season.

Problem is we are planning on playing Ben Arfa in behind a striker and I can't see those two working too well together.

Playing regularly as the No.1 striker at the club he'll get 15+ a season.

Problem is we are planning on playing Ben Arfa in behind a striker and I can't see those two working too well together.

I think it could work a la Beardsley/Cole tbh. Think Defoe thrives on throughballs and balls pulled back to him rather than crosses. Think we'd be well suited to him.

We could get better, younger and cheaper elsewhere.

Defoe should be avoided

We could (and probably will) get cheaper and younger. Better? I don't know about that.

Guest Chubby Jason

I really don't think we're in any position to totally disregard a goal-scorer like Defoe, some of the comments on here regarding him have been ridiculous.

I really don't think we're in any position to totally disregard a goal-scorer like Defoe, some of the comments on here regarding him have been ridiculous.

A goalscorer who scores 8 goals in all competitions?

In a team which is set up to focus on the strengths of Modric, van der Vaart & Bale rather than the centre-forwards.

In a team which is set up to focus on the strengths of Modric, van der Vaart & Bale rather than the centre-forwards.

Because they are all mediocre. No matter how a team plays, you're center forward to score goals. There's no reason to pay an inflated fee for someone who had such a poor season.

Guest Chubby Jason

It's clear to see that the team does not play to his strengths any longer and he is in-and-out of the team, as I already said he'd bang in plenty of goals for us if we were willing to play him every week and cater to his style.

Because they are all mediocre. No matter how a team plays, you're center forward to score goals. There's no reason to pay an inflated fee for someone who had such a poor season.

One bad season? He always seems to get around 10-13 a season which is pretty impressive.

Why the fuck would we want to cater to Defoe's style though? :lol:

He's a small striker, in both size and style, he offers no work rate, or physical presense that could help us up top. All he has is decent strike and a turn of pace which has netted him a slightly above average goal record. Absolutely useless signing for the price he would cost us.

Almost 29, coming off the worse season of his career. Like I said, whatever we would have to pay for him would be too much. He's shown nothing lately to warrant someone to believe he can score goals if he starts regularly.

Guest Chubby Jason

Why the f*** would we want to cater to Defoe's style though? :lol:

He's a small striker, in both size and style, he offers no work rate, or physical presense that could help us up top. All he has is decent strike and a turn of pace which has netted him a slightly above average goal record. Absolutely useless signing for the price he would cost us.

Because he'll return that with a haul of goals? He's done it all his career, I really don't know what standard of striker people are expecting us to sign to be honest, given the response to Defoe being linked.

Guest dogbeak

as if ashley's going to spunk big cash on anyone 29.

and fair play to him for that, i guess. i think. i dunno.

Why the f*** would we want to cater to Defoe's style though? :lol:

Because he'll return that with a haul of goals? He's done it all his career, I really don't know what standard of striker people are expecting us to sign to be honest, given the response to Defoe being linked.

Jermain Defoe? A haul of goals? All his career? :spit:

Jesus fucking wept.

I've always quite liked Defoe as a player.  If he was going to cost £10m+ and be on £80k a week or something then you can forget about it, but I think he'd potentially be a good player for us at the right price.

Almost 29, coming off the worse season of his career  Like I said, whatever we would have to pay for him would be too much. He's shown nothing lately to warrant someone to believe he can score goals if he starts regularly.

But you think Spuds will want £12m for him?..