NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

The vast majority of our supporters just don't seem to understand the concept of building foundations before the walls.

To me, that's even more sad.

:lol:

some things will always be the same though

And then you have the likes of Skirge, who was angry that we didn't spend £3m on Beckford and roughly the same on Moses.

Evidently, a club with a limited budget clearly needs to be spending a combined £6m on two attackers who are not/only proven at Championship level. If only we had such realistic and calculating fans in Ashley's seat.

3 mill could be considered a real snip for Beckford,as some self-esteemed "experts" have likened him to a young Andy Cole.

I also said Jonas reminded me a bit of Ginola. Doesn't change the fact that one was great and the other is very average at best.

The vast majority of our supporters just don't seem to understand the concept of building foundations before the walls.

To me, that's even more sad.

:lol:

some things will always be the same though

And then you have the likes of Skirge, who was angry that we didn't spend £3m on Beckford and roughly the same on Moses.

Evidently, a club with a limited budget clearly needs to be spending a combined £6m on two attackers who are not/only proven at Championship level. If only we had such realistic and calculating fans in Ashley's seat.

3 mill could be considered a real snip for Beckford,as some self-esteemed "experts" have likened him to a young Andy Cole.

I also said Jonas reminded me a bit of Ginola. Doesn't change the fact that one was great and the other is very average at best.

http://risorplast.no/rover/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/no2.jpg

Guest Heneage

Shame. I like the fact we looked at him at least. He's very left field.

:laugh:

I know you laugh but still. Players like Bassong and him are the type of players I've been wanting us to go for. Got to look at the silver linings.

We should be happy that the media linked us with a apparently decent player? Makes a change I guess but there's nothing to suggest it shouldn't be filed under 'total bollocks' like the rest. L'Equipe obviously missed the statement.

I know you laugh but still. Players like Bassong and him are the type of players I've been wanting us to go for. Got to look at the silver linings.

Big difference between him and Bassong tbh. Bassong was a no-one in French Championship or something like that when we got him, and costed us about 500k i think. Erding was bought one year ago for £7,8mill, and has had a great season ;)

Guest Heneage

We should be happy that the media linked us with a apparently decent player? Makes a change I guess but there's nothing to suggest it shouldn't be filed under 'total bollocks' like the rest. L'Equipe obviously missed the statement.

I'd say L'Equipe hold a bit more validity in their claimed rumours than you think.

Big difference between him and Bassong tbh. Bassong was a no-one in French Championship or something like that when we got him, and costed us about 500k i think. Erding was bought one year ago for £7,8mill, and has had a great season ;)

True. But how many on here self included to a lesser degree, knew fuck all about the lad. He's a left field player, he's very much slipped under the radar of Europe despite a good season for PSG.

I'd say L'Equipe hold a bit more validity in their claimed rumours than you think.

Why?

Guest BooBoo

There's no reason why a French sports paper with copies to sell in the close season wouldn't print as much tosh as any of their English counterparts.

There's no reason why a French sports paper with copies to sell in the close season wouldn't print as much tosh as any of their English counterparts.

And linking their star striker with, umm, Newcastle, isn't really going to shift copies tbh.

Guest Heneage

Why?

Because with all due respect and not wanting to patronize, you don't quite understand how these papers work, Gazetta, Marca and L'Equipe they are respectable sports papers, they aren't just Europe's equivalent of the Mirror and The Sun. They don't just pluck bollocks from a hat, if it's a foreign story they cite the original paper that claimed it too.

I'm not saying they are a Government body with official press releases. But if they say we bid for him I'm inclined to believe it, more so considering it's not a sensational story.

Just because the club said 'no capital outlay' doesnt mean its true. I'll never believe a word they say. Anyway, didn't we establish there were several meanings of that term?

Yes. It also works out to mean paying in installments over time, something the club has tried to stop doing for a few years now.

Just because the club said 'no capital outlay' doesnt mean its true. I'll never believe a word they say. Anyway, didn't we establish there were several meanings of that term?

Yes. It also works out to mean paying in installments over time, something the club has tried to stop doing for a few years now.

...and something that the new regulations appear to limit.

There's also the possibility that we could have a deal lined up to recoup any money spent, therefore it wouldn't be pure outlay.

Why?

Because with all due respect and not wanting to patronize, you don't quite understand how these papers work, Gazetta, Marca and L'Equipe they are respectable sports papers, they aren't just Europe's equivalent of the Mirror and The Sun. They don't just pluck bollocks from a hat, if it's a foreign story they cite the original paper that claimed it too.

I'm not saying they are a Government body with official press releases. But if they say we bid for him I'm inclined to believe it, more so considering it's not a sensational story.

Aye, papers like Marca, Gazetta, Mundo Deportivo etc... are still real journalism. When they quote a transfer rumor, you can believe there's been at least some genuine interest, even if the transfer doesn't end up happening or a bid it's not placed. Of course, they sometimes quote tabloids and their random bollocks, but they clearly say so and you can disregard them.

I would bet that most of the transfer gossip in both tabloids and broadsheets comes from agents or intermediaries of the players, not sources of any authority at the buying or selling club.  The paper might not have invented the rumour, but it's probably still fiction they have been fed from some agent trying to get his client a better deal. 

Raul Tamudo has left Espanyol. I'm sure we were linked...

He's 32 and past it. I could see it when you were in the CCC but certainly not in the PL. Mint player during his prime, mind, best one those f*****s ever produced.

could see him going to Wigan to play for Roberto Martinez. They were linked with a few times last season.

Guest Antigalican

A little surpised to see Jonny Godsmark has dropped all the way down to Ashington in the Northern league. No offence to Ashington but I thought he would have got a lower division club or Conference club at the very least.

True. But how many on here self included to a lesser degree, knew fuck all about the lad. He's a left field player, he's very much slipped under the radar of Europe despite a good season for PSG.

More down to the general lack of coverage of Ligue Un in the UK than anything. If it was on as much as La Liga for example I'm sure people would be wiser to players from there.

Guest Roger Kint

A little surpised to see Jonny Godsmark has dropped all the way down to Ashington in the Northern league. No offence to Ashington but I thought he would have got a lower division club or Conference club at the very least.

Suppose its a chance to play regularly and build his way back up to find his level. He is from there isnt he? Hope he hasnt settled for the easy option and given up on any real future though.