NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest guinness_fiend

I don't know, my opinion is Sturridge is as good a striker as Carroll in his own right, and both are probably in the £18-20m bracket.

I wouldn't disagree that he's as good but I just doubt that there's a club out there that will spend £20million on Sturridge.

If Henderson is worth £20m, then Sturridge isn't far off.  He is class.

But not every club is like Liverpool and going to throw that sort of money around. How many are even capable of it?

In the Premiership?  Every one that is owned by a billionaire or is reliant upon debt finance.

I don't mean to be awkward, as I appreciate that English players are typically over-priced, but Sturridge looks an awesome prospect and, at the moment anyway, would look a very good investment for the future.  The problem that I envisage us having is attracting superstar (and proven) strikers to the club.  Personally, I do not want to get lumbered with someone like Berbatov, who is approaching the end of his career and who didn't even look interested at Manchester United (other than during the two or three games where he ran riot).

I'd rather go for a younger (and hungrier) striker and the boy Sturridge would fit the bill.  Not that he'd come here in a million years, like :lol:

IMO there are only the top 4 clubs who are capable of paying £20million for a striker and I don't think they would buy Sturridge. After that there is Liverpool who have already blown their load, and then us or Spurs who have got the money to buy him. Can't see Ashley going for it so that leaves Spurs if they sell Modric.

You're right there like, I could never see one of the top four buying Sturridge. :lol:

Which of them do you think will then?

Don't accuse me of being ITK, but I hear that Chelsea are keen.

I don't know, my opinion is Sturridge is as good a striker as Carroll in his own right, and both are probably in the £18-20m bracket.

I wouldn't disagree that he's as good but I just doubt that there's a club out there that will spend £20million on Sturridge.

But not every club is like Liverpool and going to throw that sort of money around. How many are even capable of it?

In the Premiership?  Every one that is owned by a billionaire or is reliant upon debt finance.

I don't mean to be awkward, as I appreciate that English players are typically over-priced, but Sturridge looks an awesome prospect and, at the moment anyway, would look a very good investment for the future.  The problem that I envisage us having is attracting superstar (and proven) strikers to the club.  Personally, I do not want to get lumbered with someone like Berbatov, who is approaching the end of his career and who didn't even look interested at Manchester United (other than during the two or three games where he ran riot).

I'd rather go for a younger (and hungrier) striker and the boy Sturridge would fit the bill.  Not that he'd come here in a million years, like :lol:

IMO there are only the top 4 clubs who are capable of paying £20million for a striker and I don't think they would buy Sturridge. After that there is Liverpool who have already blown their load, and then us or Spurs who have got the money to buy him. Can't see Ashley going for it so that leaves Spurs if they sell Modric.

You're right there like, I could never see one of the top four buying Sturridge. :lol:

I think one of them already own him mate.

Well duh. I was talking about the current situation where he's up for sale at £20million supposedly.

I think one of them already did mate.

For about £5 million.

Has it been decided he'll be willing to drop his wage to join us now? £20m transfer fee is one thing, but he's on a fucking pretty penny at Stamford Bridge, like, isn't he?

In the current market, he's clearly worth the £20m and I see him as relatively low risk given his age, his Premier League record, his fitness record, his obvious potential and his nationality.

He is exactly the type of ambitious signing we should be making this summer given what happened in January and our current striking options, in fact I'm not sure there's anybody who fits the bill more.

In the current market, he's clearly worth the £20m and I see him as relatively low risk given his age, his Premier League record, his fitness record, his obvious potential and his nationality.

He is exactly the type of ambitious signing we should we making this summer given what happened in January and our current striking options, in fact I'm not sure there's anybody who fits the bill more.

:thup:

He is exactly the type of ambitious signing we should we making this summer given what happened in January and our current striking options, in fact I'm not sure there's anybody who fits the bill more.

and yet... :lol:

I just feel like it's a big risk. He's only had a good 12-match spell in the Premiership during which his record was only slightly better than Leon Best's.

Yeah, he looked fantastic doing it, but I wouldn't go as far as to call him the best signing we could possibly make.

Nee chance. Chelsea won't sell. He is homegrown and very much liable to get a fair bit of first team football next season as they either sell/phase out Anelka and Drogba.

He is exactly the type of ambitious signing we should be making this summer given what happened in January and our current striking options, in fact I'm not sure there's anybody who fits the bill more.

All 14 goals?

Guest BooBoo

We should be in for Sturridge but won't be. It's predictable that the Carroll cash will be swallowed by contracts for the likes of Ba, Cabaye and Marvellous.

I'd be surprised if we spend over £7million on any one deal this summer, let alone reaching £20million.

As far as £20million English youngsters go, he's probably more worth it than most others. I actually do think he's going to be a genuine success at this level. But I know Ashley won't spend that and I can't see how many other clubs will want to or be in a position to.

All 14 goals?

Well, yeah, he's still only 21 and hasn't even spent six months as a regular first teamer yet but can clearly cut it in the Premier League.

Man Utd have recently paid the best part of £30m for Smalling and Jones who didn't even have 50 Premier League appearances between them. You're paying for the potential more than the current ability and it's a less risky strategy than paying huge money for a "proven" player from abroad who is not guaranteed to do the business in England.

Guest guinness_fiend
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/aug2005/1/0/000A4A89-37DF-1310-A1B60C01AC1BF814.jpg

I'm not sure that it's a less risky strategy. I think both strategies has its advantages, but I would think the fact that there is such a premium on English players means that we're priced out of most of the guys that you would think we have a chance of buying, Sturridge included.

I like him a lot and I wouldn't mind spending £15m on him, but anymore and we risk blowing a significant chunk of the Carroll money on someone who might not fit into our team (much like Owen, incidentally).

Our strategy at the moment, like it or not, seems to be about value signings and spreading our risk. We are obviously looking for quality but putting an increased emphasis on getting value for money. I reckon it's a good strategy for us for now, since we still have a lot of deadwood to clear, which will clear up wages that can be spent on someone like Sturridge in the future. Right now we just need to get players in, and the players that we have been linked with seem to be of a decent quality; players that should mean we're able to compete for the top 8, which is a good objective for next season.

If all goes to plan, next summer will be the summer where we can look for one or two £10m signings that help push us up to a top 6 position. There's not a lot of value in the market at the moment because clubs seem to be flushed with cash, but the market may be better in a year when the financial fair play rules are fully in place.

At the risk of agreeing with you for the second time in as many minutes.... cannot disagree with a word of this :thup:

He's perfect, absolutely perfect, for what we need. Young, talented, English centre forward. Sign a cheque for £20m and hand him the no. 9 shirt now I say.

It'd be silly not to. He's worth every penny (and probably a couple of million more) IMO.

Has it been decided he'll be willing to drop his wage to join us now? £20m transfer fee is one thing, but he's on a fucking pretty penny at Stamford Bridge, like, isn't he?

That's a factor as well. I wonder what he's on at Chelsea and whether he'd fit into our wage structure where the ceiling seems to be around the 50k mark these days?

I never would expect us to spunk high figures. When we went into the summer transfer window, we had alot of things needing assessment. Left back backup, forward options, right winger options. We had players like kuqi, campbell etc go on a free. Clearly we need another backup for centreback. And I don't really want kadar anymore far to injury prone. Don't think he had one single season w/o injuries yet.

If we can use this oportunity to get some more players here and there. Mostly on the cheap the better. But to use 7mp on a player shouldn't be all that out of context.

I'm also not sure whether following Man Utd's strategy seems to be a good idea. They can afford to blow money on these players because they generate operating profits that can support lavish spending on new players. The last time they spunked this much money they got Anderson, Nani and Hargreaves for £50m+. Only Nani has turned out to be worth it and yet they're still financially fine. They're already spending £50m+ this summer (De Gea, Young and Jones) and Young's the only one with a track record (and one that I actually think isn't good enough for Man Utd).

I'm not sure whether we're capable of blowing £15m on a player and giving him ridiculous wages (which, let's face it, Sturridge will certainly have to be on) when our financial situation is still uncertain.

(and by financial situation, I mean our ability to generate enough revenue to cover all our costs and support our transfer spending. It's useless if we're spending the Carroll money on Sturridge only for us to not be able to afford to pay his wages 2 or 3 years down the line because we're not generating enough revenue. We still have deadwood to remove and that's why we should be able to afford players like Sturridge in a year or two's time when our wage bill is not filled with crap.)

Has it been decided he'll be willing to drop his wage to join us now? £20m transfer fee is one thing, but he's on a f***ing pretty penny at Stamford Bridge, like, isn't he?

That's a factor as well. I wonder what he's on at Chelsea and whether he'd fit into our wage structure where the ceiling seems to be around the 50k mark these days?

Didn he reject a 70k contract at citeh?

cant even begin to imagine ehat he's on now if that is true

I'm also not sure whether following Man Utd's strategy seems to be a good idea. They can afford to blow money on these players because they generate operating profits that can support lavish spending on new players. The last time they spunked this much money they got Anderson, Nani and Hargreaves for £50m+. Only Nani has turned out to be worth it and yet they're still financially fine. They're already spending £50m+ this summer (De Gea, Young and Jones) and Young's the only one with a track record (and one that I actually think isn't good enough for Man Utd).

I'm not sure whether we're capable of blowing £15m on a player and giving him ridiculous wages (which, let's face it, Sturridge will certainly have to be on) when our financial situation is still uncertain.

This.

This.

I just can't agree with that at all. I don't see our financial situation as uncertain in the slightest relative to the rest of the league, especially given the Carroll money.

At what point does believing Ashley's spin stop? Are we still going to be hearing this in five years time after another tenth place finish? Interesting that selling AC was defended on the basis of "it'll give us money to strengthen the squad in summer" and now there's a lad who might be available with similar potential for nearly half the money and suddenly "we can't afford it".

I know it sounds like I'm going on about Carroll but sorry, I don't accept that we cannot afford to spend that money. A club of our turnover should be looking to spend £15m minimum in a summer window even before we receive a penny in incoming funds.