NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

With all the people here saying they don't rate long how much have ye seen him play?I don't think he's worth 10mil but in today's Market he wouldn't be far off.he's the exact player we should be going for young quick, good attitude,decent finisher and hungry to succeed.I think he would be a big success here as well,the crowd would warm to him as from what I have seen of him he works his balls off.anyways I can see Reading backing down and I would be delighted to get him for 6 or 7 million

Guest bimpy474

It would be hilariously daft if we were willing to shell out £10m for Long but not for N'Zogbia.

It would signal blatant stubbornnes to deal with Whelan IMO.

Or Whelan's to deal with us, selling to us i mean.

It would be hilariously daft if we were willing to shell out £10m for Long but not for N'Zogbia.

It would signal blatant stubbornnes to deal with Whelan IMO.

Or Whelan's to deal with us, selling to us i mean.

what I would think personally

With all the people here saying they don't rate long how much have ye seen him play?I don't think he's worth 10mil but in today's Market he wouldn't be far off.he's the exact player we should be going for young quick, good attitude,decent finisher and hungry to succeed.I think he would be a big success here as well,the crowd would warm to him as from what I have seen of him he works his balls off.anyways I can see Reading backing down and I would be delighted to get him for 6 or 7 million

I agree, £10m is probably a bit steep for the lad, but if he signs for someone in the Premier League and fulfills his potential you won't be able to buy him for that.

For £7m or even 8 I'd be cautiously optimistic he'd be a good signing. The kind of movement he has and runs he makes might be ideal for the likes of Ben Arfa and Cabaye to find.

Until last season Long looked like an average to poor Championship striker.  Has he really improved so much all of a sudden at 24 or might he just be a one season wonder?

I really have no idea myself, haven't seen much of him, but I can't remember ever being impressed when I have seen him (of course all those times would have been before last season).

Until last season Long looked like an average to poor Championship striker.  Has he really improved so much all of a sudden at 24 or might he just be a one season wonder?

I really have no idea myself, haven't seen much of him, but I can't remember ever being impressed when I have seen him (of course all those times would have been before last season).

players can improve rather dramatically for a lot of reasons, I'd like to know his record for Reading since McDermot took over since one reason may be to do with his coaching and general management of him.

As for the price 10m is very steep for someone with limited top flight experience like him but doubt it will be that high anyway.

Until last season Long looked like an average to poor Championship striker.  Has he really improved so much all of a sudden at 24 or might he just be a one season wonder?

I watched Long a lot when he was first coming through at Reading and apart from scorching pace he seemed to be a poor imitation of Doyle. But TBF to him he was only about 19 at that time, if not younger.

When I've seen him recently the improvement is dramatic, his movement is very good, he works his socks off and his finishing is very good. His fitness and athleticism are also top drawer.

Can't really say whether he's a one season wonder, last season was definitely his best so I suppose it's possible. Though you could say the same about Andy Carroll and Liverpool paid £35m for him. I just think he has all the right attributes, and those things won't go away.

Like I said, £10m might be a but much but for a decent fee I would take a punt on him for sure.

but £10m will be worth it if he can find his feet quickly and start banging in the goals like..see it this way..we havent got a striker who will get the tap ins or be the fox in the box yet..Demba Ba might be the one but he'll have his injuries..Strolla aint gonna do it suddenly after all these years..Loven isnt..Best is on the way if true..

10 million for 15-20 goals a season? in todays market seeing Henderson for £20mil Wickham for £14mil..maybe £10mil for a goalscorer has to be accepted in this day of age..its much better than getting Carlton Cole thats for sure!!!

£10m for any Championship player like Long would be insane.

Like Dave says, it'd be great to bring in an in-form and goalscoring player, but I'd be paying half of that.

At least we'd be getting a player who is bang in form, admittedly at a lower level. £10m just seems a hell of a lot.

Aye, I think £5-6m would be about right. Wonder if it's one from Erding and Long, or whether we'd go for both?

Both :pow:

Guest Haris Vuckic

but £10m will be worth it if he can find his feet quickly and start banging in the goals like..see it this way..we havent got a striker who will get the tap ins or be the fox in the box yet..Demba Ba might be the one but he'll have his injuries..Strolla aint gonna do it suddenly after all these years..Loven isnt..Best is on the way if true..

10 million for 15-20 goals a season? in todays market seeing Henderson for £20mil Wickham for £14mil..maybe £10mil for a goalscorer has to be accepted in this day of age..its much better than getting Carlton Cole thats for sure!!!

I once bought a pair of brand new trainers - spent a good whack on them, I went out walking on a nice sunny day and I managed to step directly in dog shite, not just normal dog shite but the concentrated evil vicious  terriers lay, and as that foul stench reached my nostrils and the bile shot up my oesophagus, as my wallet sighed, I thought ''this is better than the toon signing Carlton Cole''.

Guest Recoba

Would not like to pay £10 mill for Shane Long.

Surely £4 - 7 million is his value.  He's never been a goalscorer until this season just gone.