NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

And then when you buy the ticket and are nowhere near winning said raffle, the manager, scouting network and chairman get hammered for making a shit signing. Look what happened when we got Nacho to improve relations with an agent to curry favour in order to help get players from that region in the future? Got slated for it.

A comment on your signature:

Are we better off getting players like Jermaine Beckford who remind you of players you saw when you were 9?  Perhaps not.

I saw Coley play for Bristol City at Ashton Gate against us in the 92/93 season, can't remember precisely when it was but prob xmas time ish. He was the only fella tomake Robert Lee work as a fullback for an entire game. Pulled our centre halves all over the place and his pace and movement were outstanding. The players in that side were a very capable bunch too. Those types of signing are few and far between. We have rarely made another since.

We probably do have a scouting network that looks at those leagues. We may well have contacts in several places we have no idea exist. The point is though that so do several hundred other clubs of which many are quite prepared to take that risk. It either makes you look 'in the know' or like a complete tit. Ashley does the latter well enough without giving people more ammunition.

Younger forum members may not realise how eagerly people clung to Tony Green or Paul Gascoigne in the past. It was because there was very little chance of seeing the likes of them again in a black and white shirt. In the case of the latter, I havent see the like of him on any pitch in England since. Post cup final was not eh Paul Gascoigne I had seen.

We were linked with him last season I'm sure there was a picture of him in the directors box last year on here some where....

It was 2 seasons ago, some pre-season game. I think it was Valencia. Anyway it wasn't Djalo. Just some random black dude with dreads.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6462/dreads2rt3.png

We were linked with him last season I'm sure there was a picture of him in the directors box last year on here some where....

It was 2 seasons ago, some pre-season game. I think it was Valencia. Anyway it wasn't Djalo. Just some random black dude with dreads.

I remember this mystery :lol:

And then when you buy the ticket and are nowhere near winning said raffle, the manager, scouting network and chairman get hammered for making a s*** signing. Look what happened when we got Nacho to improve relations with an agent to curry favour in order to help get players from that region in the future? Got slated for it.

Exactly.

This is the problem though, we have sections of the fans who are very naive, and think Football is just Premier Manger 98 on the Playstation.

In fairness - we didn't exactly see the fruits of that connection did we?  Can hardly blame ppl for thinking that it was a senseless move.  You don't need to loan players to break into the South American market....

Someone called Scott Wilson who writes for the Northern Echo reckons that Erding is 'still in [our] sights'.

Gone back in with a £2m big after our bigger bid was turned down i wonder. The old CM tactic.

Someone called Scott Wilson who writes for the Northern Echo reckons that Erding is 'still in [our] sights'.

Gone back in with a £2m big after our bigger bid was turned down i wonder. The old CM tactic.

He says the club seem 'bullish' about Cleverley and Gosling - and Erding is still in sights (depenedent on a striker leaving).  You'd imagine that would be Xisco

My problem with Oldtypes suggestion is, how do we know these places hold the talent?

Of course places like Honduras have produced the likes of Suazo, Palacios, and Figueroa, but that's 3 players of how many?

Guess the old saying 'if you don't buy a ticket you wont win the raffle' could apply to that.

I agree with oldtype, though. It seems that this idea/fantasy of Ashley's has collapsed since we got relegated. As someone said, it would cost money to do that and considering he obviously doesn't want to hang around here why should he bother? Loanies and freebies will keep us happy for the moment, sure....

Doesn't have to cost millions if you build up links with top clubs in obscure leagues and then use what they have. Palacios, Figeuroa and D.Suazo all played for the same club in Honduras for example.

And then when you buy the ticket and are nowhere near winning said raffle, the manager, scouting network and chairman get hammered for making a s*** signing. Look what happened when we got Nacho to improve relations with an agent to curry favour in order to help get players from that region in the future? Got slated for it.

Obviously your not going to succeed everyone time, it doesn't work like that. But you've got to keep trying if you want to be the best. It's alway going to be hit and miss in football, but when its a hit you'll reap the rewards 10 times over.

And as for the Nacho fiasco- well obviously our hierachy were going to get slated for it; we weren't buying him to improve the team, it was for a bloody agent! You don't see Arsenal, Man Utd or Everton doing that!

What we need to be doing is bring in well researched players who are seen to having the potential ability- physically/techniqually and mentally- to play for Newcastle United. Smart little signings like Steven Pienaar- £3m from Borussia Dortmund- or Brede Hangeland (no more than a million) which all turn into solid, key players for their respective teams. Instead, we've gone for the Luque's, Owen's, Boumsong's, Duff's etc.

However, by the end of this window I think we'll properly discover whether Chris has an eye for a bargain. IMO he's done quite well prior to June; Williamson, Routledge, Van Aanholt and Lovenkrands.

Guest secteur2010

He says the club seem 'bullshit' about Cleverley and Gosling - and Erding is still in sights (depenedent on a striker leaving).  You'd imagine that would be Xisco

Tidied

Guest Heneage

Exactly.

This is the problem though, we have sections of the fans who are very naive, and think Football is just Premier Manger 98 on the Playstation.

In fairness - we didn't exactly see the fruits of that connection did we?  Can hardly blame ppl for thinking that it was a senseless move.  You don't need to loan players to break into the South American market....

People act like he was like Ali Dia at Southampton. He seemed a fairly decent player, who needed a season of playing football.

You might not think it's good, but we are building relations. Notice how we took Caio Ferriera on trial in the same year...

My problem with Oldtypes suggestion is, how do we know these places hold the talent?

Of course places like Honduras have produced the likes of Suazo, Palacios, and Figueroa, but that's 3 players of how many?

Guess the old saying 'if you don't buy a ticket you wont win the raffle' could apply to that.

I agree with oldtype, though. It seems that this idea/fantasy of Ashley's has collapsed since we got relegated. As someone said, it would cost money to do that and considering he obviously doesn't want to hang around here why should he bother? Loanies and freebies will keep us happy for the moment, sure....

Doesn't have to cost millions if you build up links with top clubs in obscure leagues and then use what they have. Palacios, Figeuroa and D.Suazo all played for the same club in Honduras for example.

True, maybe I meant it takes effort  :razz:

However, to run a global scouting network- or even a couple of continents- it takes time and money. But as they say, its all about knowing the right people...

He says the club seem 'bullshit' about Cleverley and Gosling - and Erding is still in sights (depenedent on a striker leaving).  You'd imagine that would be Xisco

Tidied

Thanks for that

Seriously - you don't need to do favours for South American agents to have an effective South American scouting network.

Not aware of many people who suggest Nacho was awful - he's a Uruguayan international - so clearly had something about him.  Although he hadn't been a roaring success in Europe beforehand or indeed after he left us.

I've said before - we shouldn't really ever have been looking to buy foreign players for huge amounts of money.  Whilst not suggesting we should not have ambition, we do have to be realistic about our position in world football.  We aren't a historically successful club (not by European standards), we aren't a London club, we aren't a massive city and we have been 'struggling' for a while.  If we buy a player for 8+ million, you have to wonder 1) why the player is coming to us 2) why a 'bigger' club hasn't already bought the player ie Luque, Boumsong et al.  Much better off focussing on players in the 1-4 million bracket in my opinion, who are young and hungry.

Tidied

Thanks for that

Take Cleverley out and replace with De Guzman and I would be well chuffed.

Me too. Was madness.

And then there were the two trialists a couple of years ago when there was an open thing at SJP. A brazillian looking baldy and a little black dude. Never found out who they were...

Me too. Was madness.

And then there were the two trialists a couple of years ago when there was an open thing at SJP. A brazillian looking baldy and a little black dude. Never found out who they were...

Brazilian was a Leverkusen left back wasn't he? Can't remember the name, began with a D I think.

Seriously - you don't need to do favours for South American agents to have an effective South American scouting network.

Not aware of many people who suggest Nacho was awful - he's a Uruguayan international - so clearly had something about him.  Although he hadn't been a roaring success in Europe beforehand or indeed after he left us.

I've said before - we shouldn't really ever have been looking to buy foreign players for huge amounts of money.  Whilst not suggesting we should not have ambition, we do have to be realistic about our position in world football.  We aren't a historically successful club (not by European standards), we aren't a London club, we aren't a massive city and we have been 'struggling' for a while.  If we buy a player for 8+ million, you have to wonder 1) why the player is coming to us 2) why a 'bigger' club hasn't already bought the player ie Luque, Boumsong et al.  Much better off focussing on players in the 1-4 million bracket in my opinion, who are young and hungry.

Top post.

The Portuguese paper Ojojo say we had a 5m euro bid rejected.....they want 7-8m

http://www.ojogo.pt/26-190/artigo873551.asp

Would like to see us try for a few S.Americans as  there are certainly some bargains to be had there. If Marcos Angeleri moves for 1.5m after getting a work permit/EU passport that is a fkin steal for example.

Apparently last I read Mirandinha is/was our scout in South America....not sure anymore though.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/26067/default.aspx