Premier League Years

TheGuv

If we'd stayed up we'd only have gone down this season. Aye, we're years behind now, but simply due to the fact we've come straight back up - relegation has done us a favour in some respects. This time last year, i wouldn't have taken relegation - obviously, but like i say - with hindsight... we're on a better footing now than we were 12 months ago (or now, had we stayed up).

Agree with this. Wouldnt go as far as saying its been a blessing in disguise, but there have been alot more positives than I expected about relegation. I wouldnt have liked to have seen the state of us now had we stayed up last season on the last day.

Above all, it's given us a clean slate. Aye i don't still fully trust the owners but if they're willing to give Hughton more than ten million to spend, with a squad and manager (and fanbase) finally on an even keel - then it arguably has been better going down than staying up.

If we'd stayed up, we would still have lost the same players as we did... either that or we'd have kept them and they'd have maintained their miserableness. We'd have got relegated either way imo.

Not going down last season would have just prolonged the inevitable, as there's been absolutely nowhere else we're heading other than down. We've done it, it's out of the way, we've got a clean slate and it's time to rebuild. Obviously, this is all with the benefit of hindsight... the risk of not coming straight back up meant that no-one would have 'favoured' relegation a year ago. But like i say, we've gone down, come straight back up and it's time to kick on again. The owners are still dicks but we're on an even keel.

Guest neesy111

i can't believe ppl still saying bad luck etc for last season, we finished 18th and deserved to get relegated simple as!

also blaming refereeing decisions is just making pathetic, as all teams at the bottom don't get the decisions

the players we're simply to blame, we has a strike force cost us 12 million in wages a year and delivered 20 goals, also many of them used the off the field stuff as an excuse for some of their pathetic performances i.e. villa

looking back, what made a difference last season was the points we lost in the final minutes of games, notably Stoke and Wigan at home.  Would've had 6 points from those games instead of 2.

tbf against wigan they were a goal up and looking like getting more when emerson boyce got wrongfully sent off.

i can't believe ppl still saying bad luck etc for last season, we finished 18th and deserved to get relegated simple as!

also blaming refereeing decisions is just making pathetic, as all teams at the bottom don't get the decisions

the players we're simply to blame, we has a strike force cost us 12 million in wages a year and delivered 20 goals, also many of them used the off the field stuff as an excuse for some of their pathetic performances i.e. villa

We deserved to be relegated but come on, we were incredibly unluckly in some games :lol:

Agree with WBCP there. Our relegation was decided during those home games. Stoke, Sunderland and Wigan in quick succession (Man City wasn't a bad result to be fair). All poxy draws that - if we were ever gonna have a hope of staying up - we should have won.

looking back, what made a difference last season was the points we lost in the final minutes of games, notably Stoke and Wigan at home.  Would've had 6 points from those games instead of 2.

tbf against wigan they were a goal up and looking like getting more when emerson boyce got wrongfully sent off.

still though, to be 2-1 up and concede in the last minute and only getting a point instead of all 3 is an absolute kick in the bollocks, especially when we only went down by 1 point.

All in all though, we weren't good enough last season.

Guest Chris P

Above all, it's given us a clean slate. Aye i don't still fully trust the owners but if they're willing to give Hughton more than ten million to spend, with a squad and manager (and fanbase) finally on an even keel - then it arguably has been better going down than staying up.

If we'd stayed up, we would still have lost the same players as we did... either that or we'd have kept them and they'd have maintained their miserableness. We'd have got relegated either way imo.

Not going down last season would have just prolonged the inevitable, as there's been absolutely nowhere else we're heading other than down. We've done it, it's out of the way, we've got a clean slate and it's time to rebuild. Obviously, this is all with the benefit of hindsight... the risk of not coming straight back up meant that no-one would have 'favoured' relegation a year ago. But like i say, we've gone down, come straight back up and it's time to kick on again. The owners are still dicks but we're on an even keel.

well said

Guest Heneage

How can you say don't try and use one excuse then say that 'all teams down the bottom don't get the luck.'

If Viduka's had counted, Fulham would have scored another.

We were meant to go down and deservedly so. There's nothing more to it.

Certainly agree about the last bit - the club committed suicide after a great start at OT where we deservedly got a point. The ridiculous obsession with Wise & Co, the double-dealing over the Milner affair which caused KK's walk-out and the subsequent fiasco would have caused many clubs to implode.

The whole episode has set the club back for years and we face a tough struggle to establish the club back in the PL, let alone challenge for European places..

We conceded too many late goals at home (Bramble & Faye for starters), but for me Owen's misses late in the season sent us down. He had good chances against Pompey but he missed an absolute sitter against Everton where a slip had left him 10 yards out with Howard stuck on his line and he contrived to miss. Had we won that game we'd have stayed up comfortably.

Lovenkrands missed badly against the Toffees, too.

*Sigh* It's not about the misses, it's about the overall direction and management of the club which sent us down. Merlin summed it up, as have all of us over and over again a billion times.

Having said that, those misses still fucking hurt.

YOU GET PAID MILLIONS YOU FUCKS.

When you get relegated by just the one single point then I suppose every little incident that didn't go our way takes on that extra bit of meaning and potentially has that massive impact.

They all counted though towards the massive shitball.

Certainly agree about the last bit - the club committed suicide after a great start at OT where we deservedly got a point. The ridiculous obsession with Wise & Co, the double-dealing over the Milner affair which caused KK's walk-out and the subsequent fiasco would have caused many clubs to implode.

The whole episode has set the club back for years and we face a tough struggle to establish the club back in the PL, let alone challenge for European places..

I think the decline had started long before that really, we were struggling to stay in the top half of the Premiership and we were overspending pretty massively to do it.

I think the decline had started long before that really, we were struggling to stay in the top half of the Premiership and we were overspending pretty massively to do it.

Exactly. Barring a run under Roeder, and 6-7 games under Keegan, we'd been shocking and heading towards where we are now since we finished 5th. Even that season you could see the decline beginning to set in.

Exactly. Barring a run under Roeder, and 6-7 games under Keegan, we'd been shocking and heading towards where we are now since we finished 5th. Even that season you could see the decline beginning to set in.

Had KK been allowed to manage with a decent budget, he would have kept us up AND improved the side.

Whether you like him or not, he was a successful league manager wherever he went...nobody got relegated with him as manager.

He was coming to the end of his time as a manager, but would still have given us 3 good years - enough to make the club an attractive proposition for top players again.

All the downward drift was due to Shepherd's regime after SBR went.

Completelt correct Merlin. I truly believe we were making progress. 4 points from those first 3 league games were very satisfactory. We had 4 points from three games. And we ended up with 34 from 38.

I am a KK lover for all the right reasons, just why he resigns from jobs...on principal. But it does infuriate me to think what could have been last season if we had him for a whole one.

Saying that mind i went to a John Beresford talk in last year. And you know when we had the training day at SJP? KK said to Bez 'can you hear that?' Bez replied no. And Keegan said 'Exactly'. There's no banter, there's no friendship. Something which was important last time around.

We seem to have it now 18 months on. So relegation may be a blessing in disguise. But it was and still is humiliating. That is why i will take a bit more time to come around to Ashley

Guest firetotheworks

Faye equalising at SJP was the worst moment for me, I had to have a shower after wards. The moment that I remember for missed chances is always, always Owen against Portsmouth. One on one ffs.

Fuck it, we're back there now.