A Lesson in Respect and Sportsmanship From Plymouth Argyle

Doug

Time now to drop the Hooligan inspired chants of  "We are the Geordie boot boys" and the appallingly uneccesary "Your support is fucking shit" The latter raging out at true fans of many of the clubs we have met this season.

In the main these are fans who have avoided the easy option of jumping on the bandwagons of ManU or Liverpool in order to loyally follow their own teams.

We witnessed good sportsmanship last night from the Plymouth club in their despair of relegation. Their support was certainly not fucking shit nor are the countless other great fans of all the smaller clubs it has been an eye opening honour to mix with this season.

A humbling example in fraternity and sportsmanship should be seen as a lesson in how to gain respect from your opponents.

Alas I fear it will be forgotten as usual when one of the favourite pantomime villains visits on Saturday.

It would be a shame if the atmosphere was soured by torrents of dog wanking chants in preference to the Blaydon Races.

Plymouth have shown us the way. Let us learn from it.

Guest Roger Kint

Top marks to Plymouth pre and post match for their banner and PA belting out songs for us.

Would probably think different if i was a home fan having just been relegated to hear 'We are the Champions' playing at full time mind ;D

The "Your support" chant makes me cringe when I hear it.  A bit like that Division 3 "Easy Easy" chant that occasionally makes an appearance from time to time (at other clubs I hasten to add).

Plymouth FC and their supporters were nothing short of tremendous last night.  It is easy to forget that they were also relegated after 6 seasons in the Championship. 

We entered that league at the start of this season full of fear that we were slipping and would end up even lower, it was clear that the media and certain sections of fans from other clubs - not just the mackems - were revelling in our misfortune.  probably in reality just grateful it was not them and their own clubs facing the precipice that we stood before!

However, through sheer determination from the players we have battled through and won this league well, we will remember this season (hopefully) for our very proud home record and the fact that we have lost so very rarely throughout a very tough campaigne.

Some of the more enlightened media commentators have now conceded that Newcastle are a Premier League team and the league has been missing us.  Not necessarilly for the team persay but, more for the infrastructure , the fact our stadium is quality, right in the centre of our city and as a result away fans mix freely with home fans making the pre match atmosphere very special.

Next season we will be full more often than not so let's use this years experience to come back as better, slightly more humble and more sporting towards our opposing fans. 

Would be great if the abiding image the media want to take away from Newcastle next season is the fantastic city and brilliant fans who make every home game special instead of their favourite fat drunken Geordie wrapped in a bed sheet with some dopey slogan written on it with gloss paint.

I'd like to echo that Plymouth's fans were excellent last night, more than magnanimous in defeat and very good of them to play us some songs on the PA at full time. Hope they have a swift return to the Championship.

The "Your support" chant makes me cringe when I hear it.  A bit like that Division 3 "Easy Easy" chant that occasionally makes an appearance from time to time (at other clubs I hasten to add).

Plymouth FC and their supporters were nothing short of tremendous last night.  It is easy to forget that they were also relegated after 6 seasons in the Championship. 

We entered that league at the start of this season full of fear that we were slipping and would end up even lower, it was clear that the media and certain sections of fans from other clubs - not just the mackems - were revelling in our misfortune.  probably in reality just grateful it was not them and their own clubs facing the precipice that we stood before!

However, through sheer determination from the players we have battled through and won this league well, we will remember this season (hopefully) for our very proud home record and the fact that we have lost so very rarely throughout a very tough campaigne.

Some of the more enlightened media commentators have now conceded that Newcastle are a Premier League team and the league has been missing us.  Not necessarilly for the team persay but, more for the infrastructure , the fact our stadium is quality, right in the centre of our city and as a result away fans mix freely with home fans making the pre match atmosphere very special.

Next season we will be full more often than not so let's use this years experience to come back as better, slightly more humble and more sporting towards our opposing fans. 

Would be great if the abiding image the media want to take away from Newcastle next season is the fantastic city and brilliant fans who make every home game special instead of their favourite fat drunken Geordie wrapped in a bed sheet with some dopey slogan written on it with gloss paint.

if only  :smitten: it would be fantastic for newcastle to have the reputation of a fantastic city with brilliant fans.

'nuff respect to plymouth for last night, they battled to the last and were fantastic after the match. hopefully they'll bounce straight back up next season

Guest toonlass

Have to say that Plymouth were fantastic to us, with the banner and the songs. I can't think of any clubs that would do that, especially as we relegated them. Fair play to them.

Guest Micktoon

Plymouth became my second team last night.

Total respect to the club and their supporters. A class act that many could and should learn from.

I was at the match, and fair play to them, they handed a huge banner out to our fans saying "Congratulations Newcastle United from The Green Army" and a lot of their fans even joined in the post match celebrations on the pitch, even had a few congratulations from their fans whilst walking past too. Great bunch of fans, it's a shame we won't be in the same league as them next season.

Time now to drop the Hooligan inspired chants of  "We are the Geordie boot boys" and the appallingly uneccesary "Your support is f***ing s***" The latter raging out at true fans of many of the clubs we have met this season.

In the main these are fans who have avoided the easy option of jumping on the bandwagons of ManU or Liverpool in order to loyally follow their own teams.

We witnessed good sportsmanship last night from the Plymouth club in their despair of relegation. Their support was certainly not f***ing s*** nor are the countless other great fans of all the smaller clubs it has been an eye opening honour to mix with this season.

A humbling example in fraternity and sportsmanship should be seen as a lesson in how to gain respect from your opponents.

Alas I fear it will be forgotten as usual when one of the favourite pantomime villains visits on Saturday.

It would be a shame if the atmosphere was soured by torrents of dog wanking chants in preference to the Blaydon Races.

Plymouth have shown us the way. Let us learn from it.

A great post Doug - very well said.

I also noticed the records and announcements made at Plymouth last night and thought it was exceptional sportsmanship, esp for a club that we had finally condemned to relegation ....how many at SJP would have been happy if the reverse had occurred in Newcastle ?

In the main, the fans of CCC sides have been far less hostile to the presence of NUFC in their midst than was expected and they certainly took less glee in the club's relegation than many of the so-called 'elite' in the Prem. There have been many congratulatory messages on, for example, BBC 606 boards from other clubs' fans, often saying that Newcastle were worthy Champions - even from WBA fans.

If we believe that to be the case, then it is the responsibility of the fans at SJP to show the same application and dignity that the team has displayed and rub the accusations of arrogance, delusion etc into the faces of those who wish to rubbish the club, by showing the right kind of support for the side this Saturday - and EVERY match-day next season.

Forget about mocking Keane - he has enough problems to sort out and if his record is any guide, he won't have to look far for more next season...Ipswich are a friendly club who, let us not forget, were managed by SBR for many successful years so let us enjoy the day and show them that we are a fine club - both on AND off the field.

If NUFC wants to be a really top club, the constant siege mentality of many fans and suspicion of outsiders has to stop - we need as big a following as we can get and it doesn't matter whether they are from Hexham or Hong Kong. That is why the likes of Liverpool will be a more attractive target than NUFC at this time for overseas buyers - they have a big fanbase OUTSIDE of Merseyside.

:lol: Yeah, reading it from their perspective, I would have been on fire if someoen like Liverpool clinched it at our ground and we played that god damn song.

Whilst we were being relegated too!!

The ground would have been raised to the ground if that ever happened!!

:lol: Again, full respect to Plymouth.

Pedro, the hypothetical scenario has set me into a bad mood. :lol: Liverpool lifting a trophy while that god damn song plays, Andy Gray wanking, and us relegated, all at home. It would be unbelievable.