Nicky Butt

binnsy

Still dislike him a little bit as a professional, even if it's somewhat unjustified.

Butt had what is most likely the worst season the Premiership has ever seen from a regular player in our relegation year. Absolute dogshit doesn't begin to describe the majority of his performances, and he had a bigger hand than any other player in us going down, mainly because he was consistently the opposition team's best friend.

My point here is that with his standards (both ability and fitness) slipping to such shocking lows, why not just call time and retire? A good player with real integrity would have retired last summer. Cantona did so at 31 after his standards had slipped, but then he was genuine class and had pride in his ability/reputation. Butt on the other hand seems to be from the Souness school of 'hanging-on-for-every-penny-you-can-get'. He was happy to sit on the bench nearly every week in the Championship on mammoth wages after extending a contract option put in by a previous manager, despite knowing that his time was up and his standard had gone to pot, with the icing on the cake being that he did so at a club that had to sell anyone and everyone it could to reduce the wage bill, a club that even had to axe a large number of normal non-playing employees. It's not as though he wasn't already a very wealthy man having had a long career at ManU, playing for England, picking up a hefty wage from us, etc.

Maybe the expectation is a bit unfair given that other players were on large contracts (though all useful ones not on the verge of retirement), or that he has every right to look after himself and be paid whatever salary was offered to him by the club. But then thinking about Butt's awful standard of play and fitness + his hand in our relegation + his wages + the players/staff we had to let go in the summer (even if Butt leaving might not have changed any exits), forgive me for holding a slight grudge against him.

Great post :clap:

I have a long history of disliking Butt as well from his woeful FA Cup semi performance, to him letting Gareth Barry (and Steven Carr) break up that fight between Dyer and Bowyer when he was the closest player, to his non-attachment/lack of passion to actually playing football (doesn't keep any of his medals - doesn't even know where his CL trophy is and thinks he gave it away) to his lack of leadership (and silence) on the pitch when things go wrong (all of his "leadership" must be behind closed doors)...

...despite all of this I am not bothered that he is lifting the trophy. Hughton made the call to make him captain, Hughton has made other decisions that I didn't like as well but in the grand scheme of things he made more right calls than wrong ones and he made us Champions so I can't really complain.

It's a good day for NUFC when we are irritated by which player is lifting a trophy, because it means we actually have one.

I have a long history of disliking Butt as well from his woeful FA Cup semi performance, to him letting Gareth Barry (and Steven Carr) break up that fight between Dyer and Bowyer when he was the closest player, to his non-attachment/lack of passion to actually playing football (doesn't keep any of his medals - doesn't even know where his CL trophy is and thinks he gave it away) to his lack of leadership (and silence) on the pitch when things go wrong (all of his "leadership" must be behind closed doors)...

...despite all of this I am not bothered that he is lifting the trophy. Hughton made the call to make him captain, Hughton has made other decisions that I didn't like as well but in the grand scheme of things he made more right calls than wrong ones and he made us Champions so I can't really complain.

It's a good day for NUFC when we are irritated by which player is lifting a trophy, because it means we actually have one.

Aye but it's the championship.

Seriously though, who extended his contract, Kinnear?

yes. Kinnear wanted to extend Butt's, Harper's and Owen's contracts. But Owen was a "different kettle of fish" or something like that.  :lol:

Looking back it's funny what we once had for a man in charge with Kinnear.  :lol:

Absolutely no chance Butt will let someone else do it, hes a c***, he will lift the title knowing he did f*** all to earn it.

done as much as smith who no-one seems to have a problem with.

Butt has done more in his time here for me to resent him lifting our first silverware in 17 years. I would honestly rather Nolan lifted it.

Absolutely no chance Butt will let someone else do it, hes a c***, he will lift the title knowing he did f*** all to earn it.

Butt has done more in his time here for me to resent him lifting our first silverware in 17 years. I would honestly rather Nolan lifted it.

i'd rather the official club captain lifetd it.

For what purpose? Because he has a title? Id rather someone who contributed immensely to us winning the league lifting it.

He hasn't done nearly as much as Smith, who actually had some good games earlier in the season.

For what purpose? Because he has a title? Id rather someone who contributed immensely to us winning the league lifting it.

becuase he's the club captain. exactly the same as when killer was handed the trophy or then what, a poll in the chron as to who is most worthy ?

shouldn't let your petty hatreds get in the way.