World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Can somebody tell me why we keep calling Dani Güiza, it's not like he's scoring 15+ every season and he has absolutely nothing interesting to his game. Rather had Soldado in there, heck, even Bojan would have been better.

Offers a plan B i guess.

Would love it if say once every 4 years in between major tournaments (say 2013, 17, etc) there was a mini 8-team tournament with each countries leagues in it. So say Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, etc. in two groups of 4 or whatever.

Guest je85

we wont win it if joe cole is left behind.  only decent option on left of midfield we have.

Don't rate Downing or Ashley Young?

or Adam Johnson.

Australia's 31

Goalkeepers:

Adam Federici (Reading/England)

Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide Utd)

Brad Jones (Middlesbrough/England)

Mark Schwarzer (Fulham/England)

Defenders:

Michael Beauchamp (Al-Jazira/United Arab Emirates)

David Carney (FC Twente/Netherlands)

Scott Chipperfield (Basel/Switzerland)

Shane Lowry (Aston Villa/England)

Mark Milligan (JEF United/Japan)

Craig Moore (uncontracted)

Lucas Neill (Galatasaray/Turkey)

Jade North (Tromso/Norway)

Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow/Russia)

Rhys Williams (Middlesbrough/England)

Midfielders:

Mark Bresciano (Palermo/Italy)

Tim Cahill (Everton/England)

Nick Carle (Crystal Palace/England)

Jason Culina (Gold Coast Utd)

Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers/England)

Richard Garcia (Hull City/England)

Vince Grella (Blackburn Rovers/England)

James Holland (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands)

Brett Holman (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands)

Mile Jedinak (Antalyaspor Kulubu/Turkey)

Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht/Netherlands)

Carl Valeri (Sassuolo/Italy)

Dario Vidosic (Nuremberg/Germany)

Forwards:

Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus/Japan)

Harry Kewell (Galatasaray/Turkey)

Scott McDonald (Middlesbrough/England)

Nikita Rukavytsya (FC Twente/Netherlands)

No Mark Viduka  :yikes:

Seriously, I think Viduka was one of the (if not the) most important player for Australia for a long time. Think they're gonna miss him badly this World Cup.

He's started 3 games in the last 2 years, man. Not to mention he's been retired since last June.

I know. But what I meant is that the Mark Viduka who once played for Middlesbrough and was a top PL striker. At the World Cup 2006 he was very important for them I think.

He's started 3 games in the last 2 years, man. Not to mention he's been retired since last June.

I know. But what I meant is that the Mark Viduka who once played for Middlesbrough and was a top PL striker. At the World Cup 2006 he was very important for them I think.

Scored none iirc.

Scored none iirc.

True, again. He was never a player to score a great amount of goals for Australia. But his hold up play has been great normaly.

England squad:

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Who said Parker would and should be in that squad?  :snod:

Bent in, hopefully stays in  :clap:

Looking at that list, barring injury, I can't see Capello picking him ahead of Rooney, Heskey, Defore and Crouch.

Looking at that list, barring injury, I can't see Capello picking him ahead of Rooney, Heskey, Defore and Crouch.

He might go with 5 strikers.

Should take 5 imo.

Or remove Heskey as he is utterly shite.

Is it just me who doesn't see the pointed of naming a 30 man squad just to knock it down? Surely just name people as stand-bys would be fairer instead of getting peoples hopes up for no reason.

He might go with 5 strikers.

Thought that as well. Löw for example has said he will even take 6 striker to the world cup. So I don't think 5 is too many or anything.

Is it just me who doesn't see the pointed of naming a 30 man squad just to knock it down? Surely just name people as stand-bys would be fairer instead of getting peoples hopes up for no reason.

This. The league's are over anyways so it's unlikely that injuries would happen.

Quite a few countries just announce the final squad iirc.