World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Is it just me who doesn't see the pointed of naming a 30 man squad just to knock it down? Surely just name people as stand-bys would be fairer instead of getting peoples hopes up for no reason.

This. The league's are over anyways so it's unlikely that injuries would happen.

Makes for good competition, no one is safe and to be there as back-up and not first choice if an injury happens in camp could effect morale of that player.

Gives a chance for fringe players to get in the spirit and build their hopes up, of course they'll be gutted if they miss the cut, but still until then you've got a fully focused player training his heart out to impress before a WC.

Parker lol.

He's done well over the past couple of months, looked like a good prem player, but England squad? Not a chance.

He'll get left out.

Without a doubt, I just think it was a daft call up in the first place. Saying that, with Barry carrying an injury maybe its giving Caps a chance to have a proper look at Parker; then when he realises his limitations he gets cut.

Bent in, hopefully stays in  :clap:

Looking at that list, barring injury, I can't see Capello picking him ahead of Rooney, Heskey, Defore and Crouch.

He might go with 5 strikers.

i can see him going with walcott as winger/striker

Who do people cut from that then?

Me, I'd get rid of: King, Warnock, Barry (thought he'd been ruled out?), Huddlestone, Parker, SWP, Heskey.

Switch Carragher with King and that is pretty much who I would leave out.

Do realise however that Heskey will somehow manage to cling onto his place.

Me, I'd get rid of: King, Warnock, Barry (thought he'd been ruled out?), Huddlestone, Parker, SWP, Heskey.

Would you take 3 keepers? I wouldn't, I know its a risk, but i dont think its that big a risk.

Would you take 3 keepers? I wouldn't, I know its a risk, but i dont think its that big a risk.

Do you not have to?

Shit, I didn't even see Carragher there. Neither of them should be in the squad for me, King can't play more than a game a week and Carra is just shite.

King has played 3 games in a row right at the end of the season and i think he's started more games this season than Ferdinand.

Do you not have to?

No idea tbh.

Goalkeepers - Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders - Leighton Baines, Mathew Upson, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry.

Midfielders - Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Theo Walcott.

Forwards - Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

My 23.

Shit, I didn't even see Carragher there. Neither of them should be in the squad for me, King can't play more than a game a week and Carra is just shite.

kings played more than rio so whos the real crock there?

Looking at that list, barring injury, I can't see Capello picking him ahead of Rooney, Heskey, Defore and Crouch.

Should take 5 imo.

Or remove Heskey as he is utterly s****.

are you looking for a bite?  Him and Rooney are fantastic together.

Nay,I simply find it hard to believe that someone that struggles to get in the Villa squad, is likely to be leading the line for us at the World Cup.

Him and Rooney may work well together in the qualifying stages, but when it comes to the last 16, imo Heskey will be a massive liability.

Should take 5 imo.

Or remove Heskey as he is utterly s****.

are you looking for a bite?  Him and Rooney are fantastic together.

Nay,I simply find it hard to believe that someone that struggles to get in the Villa squad, is likely to be leading the line for us at the World Cup.

Him and Rooney may work well together in the qualifying stages, but when it comes to the last 16, imo Heskey will be a massive liability.

:thup:

Goalkeepers - Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders - Leighton Baines, Mathew Upson, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry.

Midfielders - Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Theo Walcott.

Forwards - Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

My 23.

whos back up rb ???

Here's mine if you can just have two keepers, if not i'd take out Johnson (adam)

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart, David James,

Defenders

Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Theo Walcott

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Really could do with a proper RB. Why Carra was brought in to cover that position is beyond me, Richard though off form is a much better bet. (or even Gary Neville)