World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Their keeper and defence is really solid with Josue/Melo/G Silva in front. That's a decent base and they've still got enough talent in attacking areas to do very well imo. Interesting to see what tactic he goes for though with not many wingers in the squad.

Brazil

Goalkeepers: Julio César, Gomes, Doni

Defence: Daniel Alves, Maicon, Gilberto, Michel Bastos, Lúcio, Luisão, Juan, Thiago Silva

Midfield: Gilberto Silva, Josué, Ramires, Felipe Melo, Kaká, Elano, Kléberson, Júlio Baptista

Attack: Luís Fabiano, Robinho, Nilmar, Grafite

Yes, that really is Spurs' Gilberto and Man United's Kleberson.

I that official? No Ronaldinho, no Diego, no Pato? Brazil's chances of winning the World Cup are "zero" now imo.

I wouldn't really say that. After a tough start, Dunga has got some momentum and they'll be right in the mix.

Still, he takes Grafite to the World Cup! Grafite? Who has basically been shit all season and has played a big part that Wolfsburg have been mid-table this season instead of competing for European places. And Kleberson? Josue? Gilberto?

I can't understand that. But at least it will increase the chances of England to win that thing.

Aren't you German? ???

Officially yes. Like the country (great to live and so on) but dislike the football. (some exceptions are there, though)

Brazil

Defence: Daniel Alves, Maicon, Gilberto, Michel Bastos, Lúcio, Luisão, Juan, Thiago Silva

Midfield: Gilberto Silva, Josué, Ramires, Felipe Melo, Kaká, Elano, Kléberson, Júlio Baptista

I that official? No Ronaldinho, no Diego, no Pato? Brazil's chances of winning the World Cup are "zero" now imo.

I wouldn't really say that. After a tough start, Dunga has got some momentum and they'll be right in the mix.

Still, he takes Grafite to the World Cup! Grafite? Who has basically been shit all season and has played a big part that Wolfsburg have been mid-table this season instead of competing for European places. And Kleberson? Josue? Gilberto?

I can't understand that. But at least it will increase the chances of England to win that thing.

Aren't you German? ???

Officially yes. Like the country (great to live and so on) but dislike the football. (some exceptions are there, though)

I don't get the "I support another country than my own" thing some people got going on. I mean, sure, this WC I'm hoping the US does well, but that's only because Norway didn't make it and because it makes it more interesting if you have a favourite you hope will do well. On the other hand, if Norway did make the WC I'd be all dressed up in red, white and blue dancing around like a mental with a plastic viking helmet on during the entire WC being completely oblivious to the fact that we're shit and would go out in the group stages regardless. The state I'd be watching the WC in with/without Norway wouldn't be comparable.

Fair play to Dunga to sticking to his guns & picking his grafters but IMO he is risking it only taking 4 strikers and they're going to struggle if Kaka picks up a knock/suspension.

Brazil

Still, he takes Grafite to the World Cup! Grafite? Who has basically been s*** all season and has played a big part that Wolfsburg have been mid-table this season instead of competing for European places. And Kleberson? Josue? Gilberto?

Sorry let me just point out that you are a delusional :angry: person.

Zero chance? First of all Pato has been injured and just recently got involved. Ronaldinho and Diego have been s*** and have had a s*** attitude towards the national team. Diego is a good player but hasn't ever had any good attitude.

Kleberson is a shcok to me. Thats though because I dont follow Brazilian club football so much but hes apparently been grea there. Then again Gilberto, Josue they are not players I would choose in my team, but Dunga has built a team who has played together the last three years, winning everything they could (not olympics but not same team) beating Argentina by many goals, beating Portugal 6-2, beating Italy 3-0, England 1-0. So I dont think we should look to much into who the players are and more into why they are there.

We have probably the best striker on international level when playing for his national team in Luis Fabiano who has been immense. Ramires who has been outstanding in the Portuguese league. Nilmar who has scored plenty for Villarreal, Robinho who has returned to Brazil and found the joy again.

Lucio, Thiago Silva, Maicon and Julio Cesar who have been the best defensive people in the Italian league. Dani Alves who to be is the best right back in the world. Gomes who has been Premier Leagues best goalkeeper this season.

I mean we have a team full of quality, but this team will also give it's all not like the team we had back in 2006 who didn't care. These guys will give everything and I dont see why we wouldnt be able to win ther world cup while I dont expect us to do that.

Fair play to Dunga to sticking to his guns & picking his grafters but IMO he is risking it only taking 4 strikers and they're going to struggle if Kaka picks up a knock/suspension.

Julio Baptista can play as a striker and he has another 7 players, incl. 2 strikers who are on the reserve list if someone goes down injured.

If Kaka goes down, then well yes we're pretty much f***** but I hope he doesn't.

Brazil

Still, he takes Grafite to the World Cup! Grafite? Who has basically been s*** all season and has played a big part that Wolfsburg have been mid-table this season instead of competing for European places. And Kleberson? Josue? Gilberto?

Sorry let me just point out that you are a delusional person.

Zero chance? First of all Pato has been injured and just recently got involved. Ronaldinho and Diego have been shit and have had a shit attitude towards the national team. Diego is a good player but hasn't ever had any good attitude.

Kleberson is a shcok to me. Thats though because I dont follow Brazilian club football so much but hes apparently been grea there. Then again Gilberto, Josue they are not players I would choose in my team, but Dunga has built a team who has played together the last three years, winning everything they could (not olympics but not same team) beating Argentina by many goals, beating Portugal 6-2, beating Italy 3-0, England 1-0. So I dont think we should look to much into who the players are and more into why they are there.

We have probably the best striker on international level when playing for his national team in Luis Fabiano who has been immense. Ramires who has been outstanding in the Portuguese league. Nilmar who has scored plenty for Villarreal, Robinho who has returned to Brazil and found the joy again.

Lucio, Thiago Silva, Maicon and Julio Cesar who have been the best defensive people in the Italian league. Dani Alves who to be is the best right back in the world. Gomes who has been Premier Leagues best goalkeeper this season.

I mean we have a team full of quality, but this team will also give it's all not like the team we had back in 2006 who didn't care. These guys will give everything and I dont see why we wouldnt be able to win ther world cup while I dont expect us to do that.

Well, "zero" chance was probably a bit too heavy, but I don't think Brazil will win, anyway.

At least you agreed with me about Josue and Gilberto.  O0

And what's your opinion on the involvement of Grafite?

I agree entirely Felipao. That is still a very strong squad, however I can see why people are shocked by the ommissions to the squad. He's stuck to his guns and selected the players who have stood him in good stead, and no doubt he will also stick to the same system he normally does. However many people who haven't watched Brazil under Dunga will be surprised by the lack of 'star' names and the number of 'flair' players that have been ommitted.

Only thing I disagree with is when you say Alves is the best RB in the world. I think Maicon is better in almost every aspect.

Dunga is signing his own departure...

If Brazil doesn't win, people will ask why Pato and Ronaldinho wasn't in the team and Dunga will probably be sacked.

To be honest Dunga shouldn't really be questioned in terms of results so far. He's won everything put infront of him..Copa America, Confed Cup, WCQ group. I also doubt he'll be sacked after this if he doesn't win it. That team will get to the Semis at least, and that is reasonable success.

Only thing I disagree with is when you say Alves is the best RB in the world. I think Maicon is better in almost every aspect.

True. For me Dani Alves harldy counts as right back anyway because I almost only see him on the other side on the pitch as a right wing player.  :lol:

If Brazil doesn't win, people will ask why Pato and Ronaldinho wasn't in the team and Dunga will probably be sacked.

To be honest Dunga shouldn't really be questioned in terms of results so far. He's won everything put infront of him..Copa America, Confed Cup, WCQ group. I also doubt he'll be sacked after this if he doesn't win it. That team will get to the Semis at least, and that is reasonable success.

Maybe you're right, but there's one big problem.

Brazil is playing Ivory Coast and Portugal in their group and if Brazil finish 2nd in the group, then they will play Spain in the first knock out round.

Brazil

Sorry let me just point out that you are a delusional person.

Zero chance? First of all Pato has been injured and just recently got involved. Ronaldinho and Diego have been s*** and have had a s*** attitude towards the national team. Diego is a good player but hasn't ever had any good attitude.

Well, "zero" chance was probably a bit too heavy, but I don't think Brazil will win, anyway.

At least you agreed with me about Josue and Gilberto.  O0

And what's your opinion on the involvement of Grafite?

Of course, they aren't players with flair, they are guys who are nonvisible, and Josue is awful. But still they manage to rarely let the team down with their solid defensive invisible work.

Well I've see far too little of Grafite to be honest, but when I've seen him he's been immense. The game he scored three in the Champions League and agaisnt Ireland when he was subbed in (immense is an overstatement but he showed glances of being a very very good player). But then again we lack strikers, Neymar is too young but a good player and i think Grafite won't play anyways unless Fabiano goes down or we're loosing in the knockoutstages and after all he is a proven goalscorer.

But im undecided on him, I just can't think of anyone better except Pato who should've been in the squad even with a broken leg, but Dunga seems to have something against him.

I agree entirely Felipao. That is still a very strong squad, however I can see why people are shocked by the ommissions to the squad. He's stuck to his guns and selected the players who have stood him in good stead, and no doubt he will also stick to the same system he normally does. However many people who haven't watched Brazil under Dunga will be surprised by the lack of 'star' names and the number of 'flair' players that have been ommitted.

Depends on what kind of right back you want. While Maicon scores, hes pure muscle machine who will give you the occasional goal and be very good defensively. But Dani Alves offensive play is just so much, and he will rarely let you down defensively also. Then again doesn't matter both are Brazilian and we don't ahve to worry who plays.

But I'd rather see Dani Alves in a more offensive role in midfield like during the Confederations Cup where he borught a new dimension to this team.

Julio Baptista can play as a striker and he has another 7 players, incl. 2 strikers who are on the reserve list if someone goes down injured.

If Kaka goes down, then well yes we're pretty much f***** but I hope he doesn't.

Who is on the reserve list out of interest?

Brasil's defence (some would say + keeper but I still have my reservations) will win them the World Cup not their attack, a lot of people still cling to this notion that all Brasil teams mirror the 70/80s flair team hence some of the reactions. IMO they are a lot more like an international version of Inter build on strong defence and midfield but with a forward group who are quick and decisive.

Bit disappointed Roberto Carlos didn't get a call up instead of Gilberto but thats just me. Do you think if Pato had been fit he would be in the squad?

Maybe you're right, but there's one big problem.

Brazil is playing Ivory Coast and Portugal in their group and if Brazil finish 2nd in the group, then they will play Spain in the first knock out round.

Ronaldinho in the squad? What is this with Ronaldinho, everyone seem to think its a surprise he isnt in it. Ronaldinho is shit. end of story.

We beat Portugal 6-2, Lucio singlehandledly dominated Chelsea (where Drogba plays) during the Champions League matches.

And also Sven Göran-Eriksson is the coach for Ivory Coast, so f******* hell they'll be last in that group.

Neimar hasn't really set the world alight at Villarreal. Has done decently but I would imagine Brazil got better than that. Showed up more overall playing skill than goalscoring prowess, which might be the reason he's picked.

I'm really worried about Kaká's fitness given how he's hardly been able to kick a ball regularly for Madrid this season.

Who is on the reserve list out of interest?

Brasil's defence (some would say + keeper but I still have my reservations) will win them the World Cup not their attack, a lot of people still cling to this notion that all Brasil teams mirror the 70/80s flair team hence some of the reactions. IMO they are a lot more like an international version of Inter build on strong defence and midfield but with a forward group who are quick and decisive.

Bit disappointed Roberto Carlos didn't get a call up instead of Gilberto but thats just me. Do you think if Pato had been fit he would be in the squad?

The reserve list will not be released by the federation until first of june I think when the final squad has been given.

While I would've done everything to have Pato in that team, unfortunately Dunga must have something against him and no I don't think he would've been if he hadn't been injured. But look at his scoring rate in the Serie A, thats high for such a young player and look how Milan does without him offensively.

I'm really worried about Kaká's fitness given how he's hardly been able to kick a ball regularly for Madrid this season.

Could well be him that stands between Spain and the cup though so i wouldn't worry too much although it would be a shame not to see him at the WC.

Neimar hasn't really set the world alight at Villarreal. Has done decently but I would imagine Brazil got better than that. Showed up more overall playing skill than goalscoring prowess, which might be the reason he's picked.

Yes I know, but Nilmar will give you goals and will run his socks off for the team.

I'm also worried about Kaka, but all Brazilian palyers that Dunga have picked do so well in the national team, although they're almost all bunch of average players. Just seems like Dunga takes everything out of them.

Depends on what kind of right back you want. While Maicon scores, hes pure muscle machine who will give you the occasional goal and be very good defensively. But Dani Alves offensive play is just so much, and he will rarely let you down defensively also. Then again doesn't matter both are Brazilian and we don't ahve to worry who plays.

But I'd rather see Dani Alves in a more offensive role in midfield like during the Confederations Cup where he borught a new dimension to this team.

Maicon is an absolute physical monster, very solid defensively in a flat back four but he also offers alot going forward. Infact I think he offers just as much as Dani Alves in attack. You just need to look at his statistics for Inter over the last couple of seasons to see how important he is for them.

Serie A this season:

GOALS

21 Milito (4)

12 Eto’o (2)

9 Balotelli

6 Maicon

4 Sneijder

ASSISTS

11 Maicon

7 Sneijder

4 Pandev

That is such a huge contribution. I admire Dani Alves aswell, however I truly believe the only attribute he has that outdoes Maicon is his set-piece taking.

No Charlie Davies for the US. What we'll do at forward will be quite interesting.

Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Onyewu, Bocanegra, Spector, Cherundolo, DeMerit, Bornstein, Pearce, Goodson, Marshall

Donovan, Dempsey, Clark, Bradley, Edu, Torres, Holden, Feilhaber, Beasley, Bedoya, Kljestan, Rogers

Altidore, Ching, Buddle, Gomez, Findley, Johnson

Shame one of them isn't English or in Brasil's case left footed.

Yeah Brazil are pletty blessed at RB.

Similarly France are absolutely stacked at LB: Evra, Abidal, Clichy, Cissokho, Tremoulinas.