World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Let's hope captain fantastic can pull out a few of those convincing dives to test him.

I wrote something and deleted it, but let me ask.

If that cunt dives and wins a penalty for England. Will you still consider him a cheating bastard, or does anything go in the World Cup?

Both.

:lol: Fair enough.

Already dreading it.

Well, yeah. I mean, when he does it for Liverpool, it's obvious he's a cheater. But mostly everyone here is English. If he pulls that same garbage in the other shirt, what happens?

I'll still despise him. But i won't feel guility about celebrating the win.

Well, yeah. I mean, when he does it for Liverpool, it's obvious he's a cheater. But mostly everyone here is English. If he pulls that same garbage in the other shirt, what happens?

Then he'd still be a cheater, aye. Doesn't mean I won't be cheering when the penalty goes in, though.

I get the image of Gerrard diving when we're actually attacking to make it 1-1 in the 91st minute, then straight from kick off, despite the ball being played about nowhere near him, he just sprints full-tilt into the box and launches himself into a defender and gets a 2nd penalty.

I get the image of Gerrard diving when we're actually attacking to make it 1-1 in the 91st minute, then straight from kick off, despite the ball being played about nowhere near him, he just sprints full-tilt into the box and launches himself into a defender and gets a 2nd penalty.

The ref looks at skinny, runtish Gerrard with his permanently creased head in the fetal position and then notices the towering Onyewu sticking out his chest and flashing that $50,000 grin, he only has one option.

"And Gerrard runs past the last defender, into the box, he doesn't even have the ball...he falls over his own feet...PENALTY!"

"That was a definite penalty Clive. How the USA can do that in the last second, resorting to using the power of the mind to take out the England captain. Captain fantastico. The greatest midfielder that ever lived."

"And Gerrard runs past the last defender, into the box, he doesn't even have the ball...he falls over his own feet...PENALTY!"

"That was a definite penalty Clive. How the USA can do that in the last second, resorting to using the power of the mind to take out the England captain. Captain fantastico. The greatest midfielder that ever lived."

"And, my word, as that's happening, I'm just noticing Wayne Rooney is scratching his arse. Yes, there he is! Just look at him. Have you ever seen a player perform that act with such grace and elegance?"

Australian third choice (and Middlesbrough) keeper Brad Jones may be out of the World Cup due to his son being diagnosed with leukemia (as mentioned on the previous page) Eugene Galakovic on standby

FIFA has granted Australia permission to replace goalkeeper Brad Jones in their World Cup squad after he was granted leave due to a family illlness.

Jones has returned to Perth in Australia to be with his family after his young son was reportedly diagnosed with leukemia. Australia applied to FIFA for the right to replace Jones, should he not return to South Africa in time for the tournament, based on the 'special circumstances' surrounding his absence.

FIFA has agreed to the request, allowing Eugene Galekovic, who was already in South Africa training with Australia as an extra squad member, to replace Jones as Pim Verbeek's third choice goalkeeper behind Mark Schwarzer and Adam Federici if the Middlesbrough player remains at home. Understandably, it is not yet uncertain whether Jones will return to South Africa.

Verbeek said he would understand if Jones decided to remain in Australia to be with his family: "We expect him not to come back - that says enough about the seriousness of the matter. We have decided he needs to be with (his family), as long as he needs to be there."

Captain Lucas Neill said the tragic news came as a shock to the entire squad, but that the players would rally behind Jones and fully support their team-mate.

"We consider ourselves a family, and the news was devastating. It hit all the boys for six," Neill said. "We wish Brad and his family all the strength and the luck they're going to need. I'm sure the character that he is, he'll be big and strong for his family. He has our support."

A Federation Football Australia statement issued on Sunday read: "Socceroos goalkeeper Brad Jones has been granted leave from the 2010 FIFA World Cup camp after receiving news of a serious illness in his family. Jones left South Africa yesterday [saturday] to be with his immediate family and it is unclear at this stage whether he will return and participate in the tournament. FFA requests that Jones' and his family's privacy are respected during this difficult time.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/793222/ce/uk/?cc=3436&ver=global

Apparently the squad was told just before being smashed by the Yanks on Saturday.

Shocking news. Thinking of you, Brad...

Neville said: "I must admit, I did expect Walcott to be chosen in the squad because I think he is goal threat from wide positions and he's explosive. I think he potentially has more goals in him than Wright-Phillips and Lennon; he has played centre-forward in the past so it would have been another option in that position."

I hate him slightly less now

The thing about Walcott playing up front is a big plus for me, I've never understood why he isn't played there more.

Rooney dropping deep and Theo stretching the defence... could work IMO.

In my 'shit England' on the World Cup game, Crouch upfront with Walcott just off him was superb. Translation - It will be just as brilliant in real life :snod:

The thing about Walcott playing up front is a big plus for me, I've never understood why he isn't played there more.

Rooney dropping deep and Theo stretching the defence... could work IMO.

I saw him playing up front for the Under 21s when they had a striking problem. Admittedly it wasn't the best of circumstances, but it did expose certain problems for a striker who was supposed to be leading the line. He didn't have much of a football brain and he couldn't hold the ball up.

He has that pace of course, but unless the opposition are chasing the game and leaving space for him to run into, a good defence will drop deep and limit his opportunities.

Wenger hasn't been keen to play him up front, and I suspect those are the reasons.

I'd love us to get Walcott on loan for the season, upfront with Carroll would work a treat imo.

I'd love you to get him too. Playing week in, week out as a striker would do him the world of good.

I'd love us to get Walcott on loan for the season, upfront with Carroll would work a treat imo.

I'd love you to get him too. Playing week in, week out as a striker would do him the world of good.

It's what he's missing from his game, consistently being started. It would be a great move for everyone.

If he had had something like that the season just gone, i reckon he'd be at the WC.