Toon owner is region's richest man (SPLASH THE CASH ASH)

Thespence

If he is up £190m may as well  spend £40 million on us & keep the other £150 million. Obvious this increase is not all in ready to go money but he knows what he has to do to make it happen  :knuppel2:. He really could of done with this news story coming out after the next transfer window.

HIS team are top of the Championship and Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is sitting pretty at the top of the North East Rich List.

According to the Sunday Times Rich List 2010, Ashley has seen his wealth swell to £890m – £190m (27 per cent) up from last year.

But despite the rise, Ashley – who today will see his team pick up the Championship trophy at St James's Park – slipped five places in the national list to 65.

Freddy Shepherd, who sold the Toon to Ashley in 2007, has seen his wealth rocket 52 per cent in the past year, from £48m to £73m.

And former chairman Sir John Hall, who recently revealed he is battling prostate cancer, saw no change to his £63m fortune.

Department store boss Mark Fenwick, at No2 on the list, saw his wealth rise from £365m to £420m – a rise of 15 per cent.

Also on the list is South Shields-born film director Ridley Scott who, with brother Tony, has a combined wealth of £110m – a £5m rise from last year, while one behind – at No12 – is Dame Margaret Barbour, of South Shields outdoor clothing company Barbour, who has seen her wealth rise 14 per cent from £85m to £97m.

The Sunday Times Rich List 2010 reveals that the total wealth of the North East region's Top 10 has gone up from £2,551m in 2009 to £2,874m this year – an 11 per cent rise.

The 22nd annual Sunday Times Rich List – the definitive guide to wealth in Britain and Ireland – is published tomorrow as a 104-page supplement free with the Sunday Times

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Toon-owner-is-region39s-richest.6250487.jp

Guest sicko2ndbest

He will be much further up the list after this years world cup.

He sells about 80% of all England shirts iirc

I am more than happy for him to keep making money if he turns us into a stable premier league club

I am more than happy for him to keep making money if he turns us into a stable premier league club

Already seen the ads on TV for Sportsdirect selling England shirts.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Already seen the ads on TV for Sportsdirect selling England shirts.

I remember him/someone from SD bemoaning England missing out on Euro 2008 costing him about 100mil

edit

70mil

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/consumer_goods/article3075888.ece

He argues that without the perfect storm of a dismal summer, the England football team's failure to qualify for Euro 2008 and tough Christmas trading, Sports Direct would be sitting pretty rather than seeing its profits disappear. England's failure could cost £70 million in 2008 given the replica shirts Mr Ashley has committed to buy from Umbro but cannot sell.

“We are in no way a broken business,” he said. “We've had three train wrecks — the weather, England being smashed out of Euro 2008 and Christmas has been very tough. We have a broken nose, broken arm and broken leg but we are still going to get on the next train and get to our destination.”

Guest Kenton Magpie

Regardless of what has gone on this season which has been fantastic I still believe he needs to fuck off!

I think we are going to have to get used to the idea that Newcastle are going to have to generate their own money as a football club unless the club is sold which is unlikely. Ashley has plenty of money so if he wanted to pump some funds in to give us (and himself) a club to be really proud of, he can certainly do that but he's shown no signs previously that he wants to lavish money on Newcastle. He'll continue to run the club on the cheap because that's his mentality.

Guest neesy111

I think we are going to have to get used to the idea that Newcastle are going to have to generate their own money as a football club unless the club is sold which is unlikely. Ashley has plenty of money so if he wanted to pump some funds in to give us (and himself) a club to be really proud of, he can certainly do that but he's shown no signs previously that he wants to lavish money on Newcastle. He'll continue to run the club on the cheap because that's his mentality.

tbh, i wouldn't be expecting any owner putting their own money in tbh

:rolleyes:

He's put something like £25 to 30 million in this season and still level 7 sing "Get out of our club" today.

He's put something like £25 to 30 million in this season and still level 7 sing "Get out of our club" today.

He put in money in this division because let's face it you don't have to spend that much in this division. Next season will be a very different proposition and the sort of money it takes to become a a force in the Premier is beyond Ashley's generosity. That's not a criticism, it's his money and he can spend it how he likes. There are a lot worse owners as we are starting to see this season with clubs like Liverpool and Portsmouth.

But the fact is he does have quite a wedge and he could use it to ensure Newcastle make a much bigger impact next season if he wanted. 

Me step dad somehow got into the after party in the Diamond yesterday night and he was talking to Ashley (two faced sod :razz:) and he was saying summit about buying Barnet :idiot2:

Could have meant Leon ;)

He put in money in this division because let's face it you don't have to spend that much in this division. Next season will be a very different proposition and the sort of money it takes to become a a force in the Premier is beyond Ashley's generosity. That's not a criticism, it's his money and he can spend it how he likes. There are a lot worse owners as we are starting to see this season with clubs like Liverpool and Portsmouth.

But the fact is he does have quite a wedge and he could use it to ensure Newcastle make a much bigger impact next season if he wanted. 

he could, he probably thinks he's put enough in though.

• 10 months later...

Probably going to be a lot richer this year with the SFO now officially off his back and his share price rocketing

http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=4096635

His wealth on paper will increase without doubt. But even with the recent sharp rises the share price is still way below £3.00 flotation price. So the "whingers" who invested in the flotation (and put almost £1 billion of cash into the Ashley coffers) are still well short on their investment.