Why Has Hughton Not Resigned?

Crumpy Gunt

You don't want to offer any evidence that Hughton is not a 'winner'...?

He's happy to do the job with his hands tied behind his back while being made to ride a pogo stick.

That's to his credit as far a we're concerned.

No manager that wants to make a fist of it would work under Ashley.

The same could be said of Benitez (and Ferguson to an extent), who has been hamstrung by his club.  I wouldn't say he wasn't a winner. 

:lol:

Again, you might want to offer some evidence to the contrary...

Benitez has been screwed by his board and most pundits and fans would say that no sane man would work under Gillet and whathisface.  The similarities are there for all to see.

If he does go (which he won't) Lee Clark would be ideal for us. Young manager who won't say no and has put together a young vibrant squad at Huddersfield on a shoe string budget, in fact there are several i'd take from him and have in our squad now.

You don't want to offer any evidence that Hughton is not a 'winner'...?

He's happy to do the job with his hands tied behind his back while being made to ride a pogo stick.

That's to his credit as far a we're concerned.

No manager that wants to make a fist of it would work under Ashley.

The same could be said of Benitez (and Ferguson to an extent), who has been hamstrung by his club.  I wouldn't say he wasn't a winner. 

:lol:

Again, you might want to offer some evidence to the contrary...

Benitez has been screwed by his board and most pundits and fans would say that no sane man would work under Gillet and whathisface.  The similarities are there for all to see.

Valencia £16,000,000

Berbatov £31,000,000

Johnson £18,000,000

Aquilani £20,000,000

Simpson, Routledge & Williamson £3,200,000

Man Utd's net spend was -£56m, hardly a board allowing a manager to do what he wants, surprisingly not many managers do...

Liverpool's net spend was -£3m.  As I said, most people would now say that no sane man would work under Liverpool's comedy double act in charge, hence the papers all warning Hodgson off it.  Wouldn't you agree with this?

Again though, despite Benitez working through all of this and having to deal with idiots like Parry you could hardly say he's not a winner despite having to toe the party line.

Man Utd's net spend was -£56m, hardly a board allowing a manager to do what he wants, surprisingly not many managers do...

Liverpool's net spend was -£3m.  As I said, most people would now say that no sane man would work under Liverpool's comedy double act in charge, hence the papers all warning Hodgson off it.  Wouldn't you agree with this?

Again though, despite Benitez working through all of this and having to deal with idiots like Parry you could hardly say he's not a winner despite having to toe the party line.

:lol: :lol:

I look forward to competing with Man U and Liverpool next season then.

I think the club were simply trying to say that they have no intention of sacking him or looking for another manager while Hughton's under contract, so the press shouldn't speculate about it. If he's successful this year, I'm sure they'll offer him a new contract. They're not the best communicators at the best of times, but this was clearly intended to be a positive statement.

Some people like winning, others just like to take part.

Hughton's the latter.

Glad he's happy to use us for experience or it might be Nicky Butt in charge.

I don't see the logic in that at all, he has had one full time management job in which he won the league (with room to spare) and even on the last day was playing to get as many points as possible.

If he wasn't interested in being a winner he would have secured the top 2 place then chucked on the kids for shits and giggles. Every time we reached one target he would move on to the next one.

Every time there is a discussion on Hughton we get more cliched bollocks with absolutely no foundation being spouted, is there something in us as fans that won't allow us just to be happy with something. Do we have to pick faults with everything? It's very similar to the criticism Clark got when he was coach here, no-one really had a clue how good he actually was at his job but he often got slated. Now some are touting him as a prospective manager.

:lol: :lol:

I look forward to competing with Man U and Liverpool next season then.

I haven't got a clue what you're going on about.  I used Man U and Liverpool as examples to illustrate a point, which you clearly missed, it could have been Mallorca's manager or Lazio's etc.

Hughton's the latter.

I don't see the logic in that at all, he has had one full time management job in which he won the league (with room to spare) and even on the last day was playing to get as many points as possible.

If he wasn't interested in being a winner he would have secured the top 2 place then chucked on the kids for shits and giggles. Every time we reached one target he would move on to the next one.

Every time there is a discussion on Hughton we get more cliched bollocks with absolutely no foundation being spouted, is there something in us as fans that won't allow us just to be happy with something. Do we have to pick faults with everything? It's very similar to the criticism Clark got when he was coach here, no-one really had a clue how good he actually was at his job but he often got slated. Now some are touting him as a prospective manager.

Hughton = the new Milner

Hughton's the latter.

I'd genuinely like to see you take a stab at justifying this. What makes you think he isn't a winner? I mean, considering, in his only job in management he's - erm - won, i'm struggling to see how he's anything but.

Hughton's the latter.

Hughton = the new Milner

I wouldn't mind being right again ;)

The benefit of Benitez hanging around is plain for all to see.

Waiting for his pay off tbh.

Hughton's the latter.

I'd genuinely like to see you take a stab at justifying this. What makes you think he isn't a winner? I mean, considering, in his only job in management he's - erm - won, i'm struggling to see how he's anything but.

Hes done extremely well, but I wouldn't say he's 'won' yet at all.

In competition terms, he's merely qualified for the finals :pow:

Hughton's the latter.

I'm not picking fault at all.  In the very post you quoted I said i was glad he is how he is.

it's like saying well my lass weighs 25 stone but I'm glad she does otherwise I wouldn't have a chance.

It's hardly a compliment is it?

As others have said I don't see what basis you have to claim he isn't a winner. He started coaching, got given the chance to manage a big club in crisis and in his first proper task he has excelled beyond all expectations, hasn't sat back when the main objective was achieved and kept pushing to get the team to achieve the best they could.

Define what you mean by being a winner? To me (and others) it comes across as a needless, baseless dig.

it's like saying well my lass weighs 25 stone but I'm glad she does otherwise I wouldn't have a chance.

It's hardly a compliment is it?

Neither was being second choice after Kinnear, it's the way it is though.  Let's not delude ourselves that Liverpool will be banging on Hughton's door once Benny goes the journey.

I love the bloke, he's happy with the challenge of running a club on a shoestring.  He's up for using team spirit to match big money.  There's other journeymen managers like Allardyce who'd do well to admit that's how they thrive, scrapping against the rest of the also-rans.

So what you were saying is he isn't good enough to run one of the better clubs in the country? Okay, erm...

I'm not the daftee that started the thread suggesting he should resign.

Stating the obvious is the only option.

Hughton's the latter.

Hes done extremely well, but I wouldn't say he's 'won' yet at all.

In competition terms, he's merely qualified for the finals :pow:

I can't see though how it can be said that winning isn't that important to Houghton. This season, winning has taken the priority over style. West Brom, Forest and Blackpool have been playing all the football. We've won ugly, and as Cajun pointed out, even when we'd secured promotion, Houghton was eager to keep the momentum going.

That last bit surprised me in fact. I wanted him to give the younger players a chance of first team experience, but he clearly saw it as important to start next season how we'd left this one. That's a winner's mentality.