Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thought the US were pretty shit first half, created one good chance, but I felt we were well on top. Second half they just played for a point and did ok tbf, if we had our shooting boots on we would have nicked it though.

Heskey probably did more for the team than Rooney today. But there's your problem, Heskey plays well and still doesn't score. If Rooney doesn't turn up...

tbf to the US, they literally always tried to have two to three men on him at all times. It was a good defensive tactic by Bradley that worked most of the time, that's what caused Rooney to look like he never really was in the game. It's a compliment to Rooney's ability that he managed to break free as many times as he did, but also again an insult to the English midfield as since most attention was at Rooney, there were loads of space for them to join up in attack. It's rather bad form by you not to capitalize on it, and a big gamble by Bradley tactically, but at the end of the day it worked for the US when really it shouldn't have. I think you will improve a lot when Barry is back to tie up midfield and defense and let Lampard play more offensively.

Thought a draw was a fair result, all in all.

Couldn't believe it when I saw England's starting lineup. There are so many reasons why playing that quartet of players in midfield was a shocking decision from Capello it's not even worth going into. Real cause for concern for you guys that Capello, who should be one of your best assets in this tournament, made such a hash of things tonight.

Thought the Americans looked pretty decent in possession, played some tidy stuff at times and looked capable of creating a chance or two. They look awful at the back though, if they come across a really good attacking outfit at any point they could get absolutely stuffed. Was surprised they came out and basically played for a draw the second half, didn't think they'd hold on but they did so credit to them.

Got to be some sort of 4-3-3 formation from here on in though, surely? Barry/Carrick, Gerrard and Lampard in midfield and then Heskey/Crouch leading the line with Rooney playing from the left and Lennon on the right to provide some width?

Just reading back over some of the thread in game time...

Mike seems to ignore the US goal completely. :lol:

I've been hurt too many times. I learned from my scars, man.

Couldn't believe it when I saw England's starting lineup. There are so many reasons why playing that quartet of players in midfield was a shocking decision from Capello it's not even worth going into. Real cause for concern for you guys that Capello, who should be one of your best assets in this tournament, made such a hash of things tonight.

Thought the Americans looked pretty decent in possession, played some tidy stuff at times and looked capable of creating a chance or two. They look awful at the back though, if they come across a really good attacking outfit at any point they could get absolutely stuffed. Was surprised they came out and basically played for a draw the second half, didn't think they'd hold on but they did so credit to them.

Got to be some sort of 4-3-3 formation from here on in though, surely? Barry/Carrick, Gerrard and Lampard in midfield and then Heskey/Crouch leading the line with Rooney playing from the left and Lennon on the right to provide some width?

A formation which would have our best player out of position, daft.

Poor bastard, I'll bet the commentator screamed "Wide Right!!" on Rooney's shot in the second half. :lol:

Seriously though, you go from...

Milner had a horrible night.

to...

WHere is our fucking Defense! Wake the FUCK up!

The goal goes in somewhere in between. :lol:

Poor bastard, I'll bet the commentator screamed "Wide Right!!" on Rooney's shot in the second half. :lol:

to...

:lol: Well I was celebrating the goal. I didn't type shit, though. England kicked off faster than hell, and got a really good look at net because of it.

I'm a traumatized sports fan, man. I'm like the old one eye rat in the maze that knows which pieces of cheese have voltage running through them. Seen it all.

Best part of the day was sitting in the (totally packed) pub with a bunch of singing English fans (about 200 of 'em) and the US goal going in to chants of "YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANYMORE!"

Great times.  Decent match.  Thank god Green made a hash of it - although Alitdore should've scored there when he hit the post.

A formation which would have our best player out of position, daft.

He's not going to be playing as a winger though, when you're in possession at least. Playing as one of the wide men in a 4-3-3 isn't overly far removed from playing just off the center forward, and you have a genuine wide man on the other side so he'd have plenty of scope for getting central and playing more of his natural game.

Think he'd be a nightmare coming in from the left quite frankly, especially with someone as good as Ashley Cole bombing down that side looking to overlap and thus creating more space for him.

to...

:lol: Well I was celebrating the goal. I didn't type shit, though. England kicked off faster than hell, and got a really good look at net because of it.

I'm a traumatized sports fan, man. I'm like the old one eye rat in the maze that knows which pieces of cheese have voltage running through them. Seen it all.

What the fuck is this shit? :lol:

Capello suffering from Hughtonitis in his early days.

Play a left winger on the left wing, does that seem so extreme?  Joe Cole should have played there.

We're desperately weak in defence if Carragher is next in line.  What's he even doing there?

Line-up should be:

Hart

Johnson  Terry    King    A. Cole

Lennon  Barry  Lampard  J. Cole

Gerrard

Rooney

Anyone else concerned that Rooney's last goal in a tight international win (i.e. not a 4-0 or 6-0 win) was in 2005?

Guest Heneage

Thought Heskey did quite well in the first half tbh.  ???

Made the goal and caused a few problems for the US defence.

Agree about Cole though. I'd have started him, if fit obviously, and certainly wouldn't have brought SWP on at all.

He did well in his overall play, but he should have buried that one on one. Against a better side the game may hinge on a chance that like, arguably as it did tonight.

The sad thing is as he burst through, I didn't for one minute think 'Goal'. Rooney did also seem quite frustrated with him at times, but he was poor by his own high standards. I'd like to see a Rooney Gerrard up top, with Joe Cole on the left Lennon right, and then a Lampard Barry or Lampard Carrick in the middle.

Thought Heskey did quite well in the first half tbh.  ???

Made the goal and caused a few problems for the US defence.

Agree about Cole though. I'd have started him, if fit obviously, and certainly wouldn't have brought SWP on at all.

He did well in his overall play, but he should have buried that one on one. Against a better side the game may hinge on a chance that like, arguably as it did tonight.

The sad thing is as he burst through, I didn't for one minute think 'Goal'. Rooney did also seem quite frustrated with him at times, but he was poor by his own high standards. I'd like to see a Rooney Gerrard up top, with Joe Cole on the left Lennon right, and then a Lampard Barry or Lampard Carrick in the middle.

Did you see Capello's reaction to the Heskey miss? He looked like he half expected it. If Rooney had have missed you'd have seen a much bigger reaction from him.

Guest Heneage

It's at that point where you wonder 'What would Bent have done?' I think he'd have finished that rather easily and thus won the game for England

Our back line was surprisingly good today, sans the goal. DeMerit and Onyewu continued a solid partnership, and I always forget how good Cherundolo actually is.

A rough road ahead, we have to completely change out style for the next few games, I think we can do it.

my balls are real

so home boy please

don't tempt me

or i'll cross you over like the

great clint dempsey

the rhyme is simple so

please don't tread on this

this is soccer and rap

with a screwed up twist