Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't understand the Howard Webb hate from the Dutch (and Spain to a lesser extent). Absolutely nuts.

spain is understandable enough, alonso did get a karate kick to the chest after all and no red

the dutch however should be thanking webb for not sending off half their side

Well yeah, the Dutch are saying 'he was too harsh' and the Spanish are saying 'he was too lenient'.

From what I saw he got all the yellow cards correct. The Dutch should be ashamed at how they conducted themselves and now they even have the nerve to complain about the refereeing?!? Disgraceful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8812484.stm

World Cup 2010: Dutch tactics upset Johan Cruyff

Dutch football legend Johan Cruyff has launched a scathing attack on Netherlands' display in the World Cup final, deriding it as "anti-football".

The Dutch received nine yellow cards, and a red card for Johnny Heitinga, as they lost 1-0 to Spain in South Africa.

"Sadly, they played very dirty," Cruyff told Spanish newspaper El Periodico.

"This ugly, vulgar, hard, hermetic, hardly eye-catching, hardly football style... If with this they got satisfaction, fine, but they lost."

Cruyff was the symbol of 'Total Football', which earned the Dutch successive World Cup final appearances in 1974 and 1978.

Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk appeared to opt for pragmatism over style as he led the Oranje to a third final in South Africa, but the result was the same, as Andres Iniesta scored an extra-time winner for Spain.

But Sunday's game was also notable for Netherlands' surprisingly aggressive approach.

Cruyff, along with many others, believed Mark van Bommel and Nigel de Jong were lucky not to be sent off before half-time, Van Bommel for a tackle from behind on Iniesta and De Jong for kicking Xabi Alonso in the chest.

"They should have been down to nine immediately, then they made two [such] ugly and hard tackles that even I felt the damage," said the 63-year-old Cruyff.

"It hurts me that Holland chose an ugly path to aim for the title."

Cruyff brought his footballing philosophy to Barcelona in an eight-year spell as manager, and he is widely credited with the one-touch passing style still employed by the Catalan club, who provided the backbone of Spain's World Cup-winning squad.

However, in the Champions League semi-final last season, Pep Guardiola's side were upset by a defence-minded Inter Milan, coached by Jose Mourinho - a fact not lost on Cruyff.

"On Thursday they asked me from Holland 'Can we play like Inter? Can we stop Spain in the same way Mourinho eliminated Barca?'

"I said no, no way at all. I said no, not because I hate this style, I said no because I thought that my country wouldn't dare to and would never renounce their style. I said no because, without having great players like those of the past, the team has its own style.

"I was wrong. Of course I'm not hanging all 11 of them by the same rope, but almost. They didn't want the ball."

Cruyff also joined in the criticism of English referee Howard Webb, accusing him of being too soft with the players.

"A World Cup final deserves great refereeing and, above all, deserves a referee who dares to do everything it means to be a judge," he said.

:clap2:

KK wants football played like that and gets slagged off on this forum.  Make your fucking minds up.

I don't understand the Howard Webb hate from the Dutch (and Spain to a lesser extent). Absolutely nuts.

spain is understandable enough, alonso did get a karate kick to the chest after all and no red

the dutch however should be thanking webb for not sending off half their side

Well yeah, the Dutch are saying 'he was too harsh' and the Spanish are saying 'he was too lenient'.

From what I saw he got all the yellow cards correct. The Dutch should be ashamed at how they conducted themselves and now they even have the nerve to complain about the refereeing?!? Disgraceful.

I think we've been here before, but here we go again:

- De Jong should have been sent off, no doubt about it;

- Van Bommel could have been sent off. He always plays on the edge. For me, this match he didn't step over the line, but I would have accepted it if he was sent off as he was very close to the edge;

- the sending off of Heitinga was harsh. There wasn't much in his first booking, the second bookable offence was similar to:

- Puyol holding back Robben when he was through on goal and already on a yellow. If Heitinga is sent off, then for consistency's sake so should Puyol have been;

- Iniesta lashing out at Van Bommel could and perhaps should have been a sending off;

- Mathijssen and Robben were correctly booked for protesting fiercly against refereeing decision. For consistency's sake, so should Iniesta and Xavi have been for repeatedly requesting for Holland players to be booked;

- in the build up to the deciding goal Webb missed an unmissable deflection on Sneijder's free kick. I mean, the ball was deflected in an angle of almost 45 degrees from its original trajectory. If a corner is given rather than a free kick, with 3 minutes to go and with a man down, Holland can try and keep possession and we would have perhaps reached penalties;

- also in the build up to the goal and with 2 minutes to go, and I admit to have only seen this once, but there appears to be a foul on Elia out on the left wing when Spain wins possession which they score from seconds later. All throughout the second half and in extra time Webb has given free kicks for petty things, yet he missed this particular incident.

Looking at the above, I would say there can be complaints from both sides, and I don't think Webb controlled the match at all. The trick to being a good referee in a match like this is allowing play to flow and be very decisive when things go over the edge (like in the case of the De Jong karate kick). In my humble opinion Webb made lots of small and bigger mistakes and most importantly didn't allow the game to flow as a world class referee like Collina would have done. The final was a subdued affair, and Webb is partly to blame for this (although I accept a large portion of the blame must be placed at the feet of the Dutch team, in particular De Jong and to a lesser extent Van Bommel).

Make no mistake though, Spain deserved to win and Holland didn't play the game in a fair play manner, but neither did Spain and this Holland basking and Spain praising for their attitude is doing my head in. In reality, there wasn't much difference between the sides and the game as a whole was practically unwatchable bar the tension side of things. It's a bitter pill to swallow seeing a Dutch side perform like this when you know they are capable of doing so much better, especially the likes of Van Persie who just hasn't turned up this World Cup..

re de jong....i'll go with webb on this,just. it was high and dangerous but with the ball being there and at pace it puts doubt as to if he deliberatly went for the man.

No way. For me it's not just a question of intent, it's also a question of the consequences it may have. It was bookable because it was high and dangerous, it was a sending off because it was a direct hit which might/may have caused rib fractures..

That tackle was as reckless as you can get. Intent doesn't really have much to do as the disregard for the opposition's safety. I really doubt any player actually intends not to hit the ball when making a tackle (Shawcross on Ramsey for example).

That tackle was as reckless as you can get. Intent doesn't really have much to do as the disregard of the safety of the opposition safety. I really doubt any player actually intends not to hit the ball when making a tackle (Shawcross on Ramsey for example).

Apart from this cunt...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01342/roy-keane_1342720c.jpg

That tackle was as reckless as you can get. Intent doesn't really have much to do as the disregard for the opposition's safety. I really doubt any player actually intends not to hit the ball when making a tackle (Shawcross on Ramsey for example).

you're kidding, there are many every game although they know they are trips etc with no intent to cause damage.

No question about it, De Jong would've been walking back to the tunnel if it hadn't been the WC Final.

Absolutely. Only reason Man Utd's Howard Webb didn't send him straight off is because he didn't want to ruin the final like the ref who sent off Lehmann in the CL 2006 final.

Still, he ended up making a rod for his own back, because he couldn't send off Iniesta then, either.

The poor saps in Brazil are wanting answers why a team like Spain won. The punters over there have been getting fed lines like "you can't win with flair" or "you cant play through the middle" for years & now Spain win. Someone also mentioned most quick players in Brazil are getting  moved to the wing back positions, result being the national team does not have as many fast attacking midfield/forward players coming through. Leonardo is the front runner for the Brazil job as most domestic coaches in Brazil set there teams up like Dunga & the nation is not keen on that. Leonardo has not coached in Brazil or lives there which will count against him.

There was no way Webb could win in this game.  Dismiss Van Bommel and De Jong in the first half and the worlds reaction would have been how the referee ruined the game.  Had he only sent off one of them, then the game would have turned into a defensive game with the dutch parking the bus in front of the goal and just the occaisional hoofs up to Robben. (See Barca vs Inter CL Semi for what that might have looked like).

Webb make one genuine mistake - missing the corner and awarding the goal kick. The rest all comes down to incidents of ITOOTR and how he tried to keep the final played as a final should be. Believe me no referee wants to insert himself into a game, it's the players who should take responsibility for it. No cards are given - they are earned.

Opta's Top 30 World Cup 2010 Facts:        ( http://www.optasports.com/about/news/feature-opta's-top-30-2010-world-cup-facts.html )

- Argentina have not lost a match after taking the lead at the World Cup since their 3-1 defeat to West Germany in 1958.

- Japan had only three shots in their win against Cameroon; the fewest by a winning side in the World Cup finals since 1966.

- Miroslav Klose (4) scored more goals in the 2010 World Cup than he did in the German Bundesliga (3) in 2009-10.

- Italy have now drawn 21 games at World Cup Finals – more than any other side.

- Before their meeting with Portugal, Brazil had scored in 25 successive group matches at the World Cup, since drawing 0-0 with Spain in 1978.

- South Africa became the first host nation to be eliminated from the World Cup at the Group Stage.

- Switzerland set a new record for consecutive minutes without conceding at the World Cup finals, 9 hours & 18 minutes.

- South American sides lost just one of their 15 Group Stage matches.

- Italy’s goalkeepers made just one save at this World Cup, conceding five goals from six shots on target.

- Between 16th and 24th June there were eight consecutive days with at least one red card.

- Brazil have topped their group in every single World Cup since 1982.

- Spain were the first team since Hungary in 1986 not to collect a single card in the group stage.

- There have been six red cards in the last five World Cup matches involving Australia.

- England haven't won a World Cup finals match where the opposition have scored since beating Cameroon in 1990.

- Eduardo was the last goalkeeper to concede at this World Cup, going 332 minutes and facing 15 shots without letting one past.

- The only World Cup semi-final won by more than a one-goal margin since 1986 was Germany v Italy in 2006, and that was after extra time.

- The Germany v England game in the 2010 World Cup saw fewer fouls than any World Cup game from 1966-2010 (13).

- Germany had to wait until the 32nd minute for their first shot in the semi final against Spain, longer than in any of their World Cup games from 1966 to present day.

- Abdelkader Ghezzal picked up two yellows faster than any other sub in World Cup history – it took him just 14 minutes and 19 seconds to be sent off.

- Lukas Podolski has scored more goals for Germany (40) than he has in German League football (39).

- Portugal v North Korea saw six different goalscorers; only one game in World Cup history (Yugoslavia v Zaire in 1974) saw more (7).

- Frank Lampard has now hit 39 shots at World Cups without scoring, more than any other player since 1966.

- Spain v Paraguay was the first time two penalties have been missed in the same match since Argentina v Mexico in 1930.

- Diego Forlan became the first player to score three goals outside the box in a single World Cup tournament since Lothar Matthäus in 1990.

- Juan Sebastien Veron attempted 153 and completed 131 passes against Greece. Both are record World Cup highs since 1966.

- The Netherlands lined up with shirt numbers 1-11. This was the first time that this has happened in a World Cup final since squad numbers were introduced in 1954.

- The Netherlands have picked up 22 yellow cards in this tournament, only Argentina (23-1990) have picked more in a single World Cup finals.

- Spain became the first side to ever win the World Cup after losing their opening match of the tournament.

- Spain have now made more successful passes in a World Cup than any team since 1966, surpassing Brazil from 1994 (3547).

- The Netherlands have made more fouls than any other team in four of the last seven World Cup finals that they have played in.

Bolded are some of the better ones.

Podolski has scored more international goals (40), than German club goals (39).

I think that is wrong.

It is wrong.

He's scored 63 German club league goals.

Some of them in the 2nd tier though, so it should reap top tier German club goals.