Vuvuzela

Thespence

Scotland has the best culture in the world. Albeit in small areas.

Which? Which areas?

Highland areas, Orkney, Shetland, all the wee islands dotted around, Hebrides and Edinburgh. Glasgow has some nice parts.

For some reason everyone thinks it's full of neds but it's really no more so than anywhere else.

Stunning scenery in the highland areas, easily among the best in the world on a good day.

"This is harming the football being played. It's impossible to play like we want with the sound of these "trumpets", it's impossible to talk to the players during the match."

- Morten Olsen, Danish manager.

"It is totally impossible to communicate with the players and they should clearly be banned."

- Frank de Boer, Dutch Ass Man.

"Football is about communication, and the sound from the Vuvuzelas makes it impossible to talk to your teammates. Because of the sound it's like you're deaf."

- Lionel Messi

Going by this the argument that the football being played suffering because of the Vuvuzelas gathers speed.

If the World Cup was being held in England and some Del Boy had decided to make a few quid by selling some variety of droning plastic noise makers on every street corner, which created a white noise that totally nullified the atmosphere, I'd expect pretty much every other country to rightly tell us to fuck off.  In fact, I doubt we'd even have been allowed plastic tubes of that size into the stadium anyway, even if they'd been around for five years and we decided it was our "culture".

That's the main problem with them - people who are saying "Oh, I just tune them out after a while so I don't know why they get to people" are missing the point.  Have you ever been in a room with a noisy air conditioner and you've not even noticed it's there until it turns off?  When you suddenly realise that the room wasn't, as you assumed, silent?  That's what this constant drone becomes after half an hour, the base level, silence.  That's why when someone scores, even though there is actually noise, it has the eerie feeling of when a goal is scored at a match that's being played behind closed doors.

It's not about ignorant foreigners trying to oppress South Africa's culture and creativity, it's about the people of whatever nationality with these plastic tubes stopping anyone else from singing, cheering, drumming, playing instruments... What about all of those aspects of countries football culture that aren't being respected?

Maybe if we host the world cup we could drown out the Brazilian samba by having people everywhere selling our own pointless cultural noise maker, the football rattle, on every corner.  Oh, hang on, last I saw it was top of the list of verboten items when you walk into about any stadium in the country, and would probably fall foul of this FIFA World Cup Rule

The following items are prohibited in the stadiums:

•n) mechanically-operated instruments which produce an excessive volume of noise

Other worldly. :lol:

Sounds like 30,000 Peter Griffin's laughing at the same time.

:lol:

This may have changed my opinion on the vuvuzela.

I can no longer hear one without laughing at it myself. :lol:

As someone said, all it takes is for one player to claim not to have heard the ref blow the whistle.

I have hope.

Van Persie did that yesterday.

He blatantly had though. He was just being cheeky.

As someone said, all it takes is for one player to claim not to have heard the ref blow the whistle.

I have hope.

Van Persie did that yesterday.

He blatantly had though. He was just being cheeky.

Loved it, he was already on a yellow, he could well have been sent off if he didn't pull that stunt :laugh:

This is what happens when you give the World Cup to a shitty nation who doesn't deserve it, who spends millions on new stadiums while making millions homeless while watching their Countryman die of AIDs and do nothing about it. The reason they are so popular is because there is a void left to fill due to the new stadiums and increased interest, everyone wants to be involved but haven't a clue how to, they don't know how to support and they don't know what football is about, so these plastic mares fill in that void nicely with a dull monotonous sound driving real football fans crazy. culture my arse, its the lack of culture that has made these so popular with the mongs.

This tournament has shown one thing; Africa wasn't ready for the World Cup and probably will never be in the future. Someone's sitting on some massive back handers, I can guess his name it sounds like Sep(tic) Bladder.

Just look at this cunt:

http://daylife.sky.com/imageserve/0eece2cbS01Il/610x.jpg

That's what football means to her, blow something as loud as possible and need workman earphones so she doesn't go deaf but the rest of the crowd can go fuk themselves.

Jesus, that's some patronising shit, TT.

South Africa is not a developed country so you may be right in saying that the millions spent on stadiums should have been spent on actually helping the people, but I don't see how that makes the country less deserving of hosting the WC.

In fact, since the WC will bring in significantly more revenue than it'll cost to host (ask Japan and Korea), they're probably quite deserving of hosting it as it'll bring a vast amount of people out of poverty with the money and jobs that has and will be created due to the WC.

Secondly, how can you say that they don't know how to support? They've got one of the best rugby teams in the world, they have hosted the Rugby WC and their stadiums are filled with fans singing every time the Spring Boks play, so they certainly know how to host and support sporting events. To say that they don't purely because they use the vuvuzelas is really some condescending shit. It's also noticeable that many, many foreign fans are using the vuvuzelas as well, so what does that say about them? That all these foreign fans who've travelled from all over the world also lack any culture and also don't know how to support football teams?

Lastly, it's fucking laughable that because of the vuvuzelas you've concluded that Africa wasn't ready for the WC and never will be. That's fucking retarded, if I'm being honest. Yeah, let's not mention the world class stadiums that have been built, how nice and flat the pitches are (maybe England should never get to host the WC too since the Wembley pitch is one of the worst pitches football can be played on), how there haven't and likely won't be any security problems. There's a shit load more to hosting a WC than just making sure you make the right noise in the matches.

I agree the vuvuzelas are annoying but let's not extrapolate this minor problem into saying that Africa wasn't ready for the WC and will never be because that's absolute bollocks and you know it.

That picture :lol:

I could easily post a picture of a drunken British hooligan pissing himself and say 'that's what football means to him, coming to the match to get pissed then fight with whoever dares to look at and think about what a pathetic fuck he is' but that wouldn't be fair on the rest of the people who are thoroughly good and fun-to-be-around football supporters, would it?

Selfish cow. Still, I don't think it's fair to say they don't deserve the WC, whether the country is ready to host a WC however ...

Same could easily be said about Brasil for the next one and Rio for the Olympic Games in 2014 that preceed it.

Guest Stephen927

This is what happens when you give the World Cup to a shitty nation who doesn't deserve it, who spends millions on new stadiums while making millions homeless while watching their Countryman die of AIDs and do nothing about it. The reason they are so popular is because there is a void left to fill due to the new stadiums and increased interest, everyone wants to be involved but haven't a clue how to, they don't know how to support and they don't know what football is about, so these plastic mares fill in that void nicely with a dull monotonous sound driving real football fans crazy. culture my arse, its the lack of culture that has made these so popular with the mongs.

This tournament has shown one thing; Africa wasn't ready for the World Cup and probably will never be in the future. Someone's sitting on some massive back handers, I can guess his name it sounds like Sep(tic) Bladder.

Just look at this cunt:

http://daylife.sky.com/imageserve/0eece2cbS01Il/610x.jpg

That's what football means to her, blow something as loud as possible and need workman earphones so she doesn't go deaf but the rest of the crowd can go fuk themselves.

:lol:

Do they blow these things all day? watching the live stream on the BBC site and you can hear them above the speakers with hardly anyone in the stadium.