Capello stays on

Doctor Zaius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guus Hiddink would be a step up from Capello imo, and has proven he can get his teams to play decent football at international level.

Only trouble with him (beyond signing up with Turkey) is I reckon he won't want the job because the selection of players is actually s*** for what is needed to form a good side at this level.

At first I liked Capello, despite his odd decisionss. I just assumed 'he knew best'.

However, the Heskey debacle as well as playing 4 CM's in a major tournament just makes me lose confidence in him. Especially since it clearly wasn't working.

YES!!

I think he is a great club manager, but he's made far too many mistakes up to and during the world cup.

Also sorry if it's been discussed already, but just read this in a Guardian article which really annoyed me

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/28/fabio-capello-england-future-press-conference

...It would cost the FA around £10m to terminate Capello's contract .after both parties removed a break clause in the Italian's contract prior to the tournament which would have allowed them to part company after the finals..

:facepalm:

Guest BooBoo

He made so many mistakes in the WC and in it's build up, it's unfathomable to think he's won so much. Time to go.

I hate the word "passion".

The emphasis on this sort of thing is the one of the main problems with the English game IMO. It's why John Terry madly closes down a German midfielder and leaves a gaping hole behind him, it's why Gerrard charges off out of position all the time, and it's why skilful players aren't allowed to develop in this country.

No he should not go BUT he will be hounded out - its just how it goes

The players are just not good enough, he could have perhaps tried some different formation BUT the end result really would have been the same - coming unstuck against a decent side

There are only a few players worth keeping, the rest need to be gotten rid of - I think more players like Wilshere are needed for the future

Thing is... he could have gone for Crouch up front, he could have taken Adam Johnson to play on the left, he could have kept Lennon for width on the right, he could have left out an unfit Barry, he could have dropped Rooney, he could have played Dawson instead of Upson,  etc etc.

He's not just the innocent victim of s*** players, he's made a lot of mistakes recently.

and if he tried those things and they didnt pay off (which is highly likely) (Actually not taking Johnson was wrong) he would have got lambasted

There really is a bigger issue here than the manager - no doubt he could have tried some different formations, some different players BUT the final result would have been the same - getting outplayed by better teams

Changing the footballing culture overnight is not going to happen BUT when technically good players are coming through (Wilshere the prime example) they should be highlighted and brought into the setup as soon as possible

Arry wont do jackshit - when he finds out he has a transfer budget of £0 he will be out the door faster than Usain Bolt

Roy Hodgson has international experience so he could do a good job BUT it will take him time to build a side - will the media, fans give him that time?

The players are just not good enough, he could have perhaps tried some different formation BUT the end result really would have been the same - coming unstuck against a decent side

There are only a few players worth keeping, the rest need to be gotten rid of - I think more players like Wilshere are needed for the future

Thing is... he could have gone for Crouch up front, he could have taken Adam Johnson to play on the left, he could have kept Lennon for width on the right, he could have left out an unfit Barry, he could have dropped Rooney, he could have played Dawson instead of Upson,  etc etc.

He's not just the innocent victim of s*** players, he's made a lot of mistakes recently.

and if he tried those things and they didnt pay off (which is highly likely) (Actually not taking Johnson was wrong) he would have got lambasted

There really is a bigger issue here than the manager - no doubt he could have tried some different formations, some different players BUT the final result would have been the same - getting outplayed by better teams

Changing the footballing culture overnight is not going to happen BUT when technically good players are coming through (Wilshere the prime example) they should be highlighted and brought into the setup as soon as possible

Well that's the job of a manager, if he only makes safe decisions that the press will approve of it's pointless having him.

I don't buy into the fact that we would always have been outplayed no matter what. Yes, there are better teams than us, but we have the talent to beat any of them if it's used properly and the players perform as they can.

Arry wont do jackshit - when he finds out he has a transfer budget of £0 he will be out the door faster than Usain Bolt

Roy Hodgson has international experience so he could do a good job BUT it will take him time to build a side - will the media, fans give him that time?

Eh?

If he stays, i hope he stays, i want him to bring in some younger players. People like Shawcross, Walcott, Johnson, Wilshere. It needs to be done at some point.

Absolutely, most of the comments of where Capello went 'wrong' are said with the benefit of hindsight. That's nature of football critics especially English media whenever the team lose. They just take the other side, never mind if as a result they contradict their previous opinion/writings. So many examples, when Sven experimented with a 4-5-1, the same people (who are now claiming we have to go beyond 4-4-2) bitched that we are English and we have to play 4-4-2 because that is the formation that English players were most comfortable with. The same people who are now saying that we need an English manager said that we needed a foreign manager after the McClaren debacle, you couldn't make it up.

Had Capello dropped Rooney, played Crouch and Defoe and lost, the critics/media would have called for his head, how dare he drop our World Class Rooney. Had he taken Walcott & Johnson instead of the likes of SWP & Joe Cole, he would have been attacked for over depending on inexperience youth instead of experience seasoned players.

The truth is, whatever decision he took, when we get eliminated, he would always be 'wrong'. The only way he could have been 'right' is had we won the World Cup which is downright delusional! 

Personally I don't think he should. I'll admit he's made mistakes - but the real problem lies a lot deeper than just pointing the finger at Fabio Capello. I'm prepared to back him, we could certainly get no-one better.

Don't want to start a massive quote pyramid, but I'm definitely not just criticising his selections in hindsight... I always said I would start with Crouch, play A Johnson on the left, play Dawson instead of Upson, not take King and that stuff.

Whether it would have made a difference is another thing, obviously!

Also, it's not true that he would only have been able to succeed by winning the WC. If we had performed well, got to a decent stage (QF/SF) then gone out being outplayed by Brazil or someone most people would have been satisfied IMO.

Personally I don't think he should. I'll admit he's made mistakes - but the real problem lies a lot deeper than just pointing the finger at Fabio Capello. I'm prepared to back him, we could certainly get no-one better.

While i don't think the English style of play is ever likely to beat a good continental or South American one at international level one area i feel Capello and probably Sven have screwed the pooch is trying to make England play like Italy or someone, with a lower tempo game.

We have particular strengths as a footballing nation and not playing to them is suicidal.

The Germans played the game we should have played to be honest, fast paced and using width well.

What the fuck Capello's plan was I'd love to know.

Don't want to start a massive quote pyramid, but I'm definitely not just criticising his selections in hindsight... I always said I would start with Crouch, play A Johnson on the left, play Dawson instead of Upson, not take King and that stuff.

Whether it would have made a difference is another thing, obviously!

Also, it's not true that he would only have been able to succeed by winning the WC. If we had performed well, got to a decent stage (QF/SF) then gone out being outplayed by Brazil or someone most people would have been satisfied IMO.

Yah I take your point, a semi final exit with a decent showing might have been acceptable to the critics. But my point stands, had the team not achieved what was deemed acceptable, then regardless of whatever decision Capello had taken, the critics/media would have said that he was wrong and should have done the opposite. I don't know about you, but many who are saying he should brought the younger players would have then blamed him for not going with experienced Champion League players. You can almost see the headline "Capello naive boys humiliated against experienced Brazil"....etc. I suspect that bold decisions like dropping Rooney (had it not worked out) would have subjected him to even more poisonous criticism.