Capello stays on

Doctor Zaius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matthew Upson was horrendous I thought. Amazed he started for England, considering they were saying King was fit. Not a player for this level. When England fans see Upson and Heskey trotting onto the pitch in an England shirt, they ust feel the same way I do when Kaita and Danny Shittu (easily the widest player in WC 2010) suit up for us. Suicidal. Especially as much better players are overlooked for them in both cases.

Guest BooBoo

Venables returning would be a step backwards but the fact remains that only him and SBR have come remotely close since 1966. Both were probably only a missed penalty or two from glory as England would have had a great chance of beating both the Argies and the Czech Republic. I think Venables deserves a bit more credit.

Matthew Upson was horrendous I thought. Amazed he started for England, considering they were saying King was fit. Not a player for this level. When England fans see Upson and Heskey trotting onto the pitch in an England shirt, they ust feel the same way I do when Kaita and Danny Shittu (easily the widest player in WC 2010) suit up for us. Suicidal. Especially as much better players are overlooked for them in both cases.

Upson was a big part of the shambles that was West Hams defence last year and even discounting form, has never been a quality player.

Beggars belief that Jagielka & Lescott weren't even considered for the squad when both are miles better. King & Dawson are sat on the bench having had superior seasons to Upson as well.

Then you've got younger players like Shawcross & Gary Cahill who have been consistently better than Upson for the past two seasons. Taking them would also give the added bonus of handing those lads experience of being around the squad for a major tournament in advance of them playing a bigger part in future tournaments.

Venables returning would be a step backwards but the fact remains that only him and SBR have come remotely close since 1966. Both were probably only a missed penalty or two from glory as England would have had a great chance of beating both the Argies and the Czech Republic. I think Venables deserves a bit more credit.

Venables is only one of two managers of England to play in a tournament on home soil.  During his managerial career he won two trophies at Barca, one being the Spanish League Cup and he won an FA Cup with Spurs.  He's hardly set the world on fire and I don't know where his reputation comes from.  The record of Capello pisses all over the record of Vanables, it's miles better, 14-3 to Capello says it all.

Venables is only one of two managers of England to play in a tournament on home soil.  During his managerial career he won two trophies at Barca, one being the Spanish League Cup and he won an FA Cup with Spurs.  He's hardly set the world on fire and I don't know where his reputation comes from.  The record of Capello pisses all over the record of Vanables, it's miles better, 14-3 to Capello says it all.

Terry Venables is 100% English though, you can never be sure what's going on when our national side is in the hands of Johnny Foreigner. Tel's natural successor is out there and I'm sure he's very willing  :harry:

I would keep him on till the next world cup, now he has all his management team and stuff in place and all his research of the Eng game and players, IMO it would be a massive advantage to have him as part of the rebuilding. Made a couple of gaffs this WC, but what manager hasn't?

I would keep him on till the next world cup, now he has all his management team and stuff in place and all his research of the Eng game and players, IMO it would be a massive advantage to have him as part of the rebuilding. Made a couple of gaffs this WC, but what manager hasn't?

I agree with that. He's got a great track record as a club manager, and he did well in the qualifiers,  but until now he has never managed in the World Cup Finals. And that is a very different gig to any other. He's shown that he wasn't sure what to do in South Africa. But he's intelligent enough to realise how he screwed up even if he won't admit it in public. Sadly the way of the world is that he won't get a chance to use the experience of this failure. A sacrifice must be made and, lets face it, the chances are it will go some way beyond not picking Upson again. There is no scope for learning on the job and valuable experience may well walk out the door just as it has done before in the last 20 years or so.

Beckham already being massively touted (or at least it seems like that over here with our medias Anglophile views) as your next manager.

As much as I am aware just the general idea of Beckham managing England sounding completely bonkers, I think that might work for you for some reason.

:lol:

That would be an utter shambles tbh.  If he was appointed it would only be for all the marketing money he would bring.  The likes of the two Nevilles back in the England fold doesn't bear even thinking about.

Klinsmann worked for Germany, Bilic for Croatia.

Then again those two are probably on a completely different level tactical brain wise than Beckham. But appointing young (manager terms, not player) recent players have a decent track record in International management so far.

Then again those two are probably on a completely different level tactical brain wise than Beckham. But appointing young recent players have a decent track record in International management so far.

Klinsmann is shit when it comes to tactics. The "mastermind" was Löw. Klinsmann was only the "motivator".

I think the difference between Beckham and Klinsmann is that the later got away from german football for a few years, coached in the US (where he learned about new training-methods) and then came back.

Absolutely barmy that some folk are keen to bin Fabio Capello whilst touting David Beckham as his replacement.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is complete insanity. 100% batshit crazy.

Then again those two are probably on a completely different level tactical brain wise than Beckham. But appointing young recent players have a decent track record in International management so far.

Klinsmann is shit when it comes to tactics. The "mastermind" was Löw. Klinsmann was only the "motivator".

I think the difference between Beckham and Klinsmann is that the later got away from german football for a few years, coached in the US (where he learned about new training-methods) and then came back.

International management is mostly about keeping the players motivated, though. You have such a short period of time to work with the players, motivation plays a much bigger part than tactics for "good" sides. Though it's the contrary for "lesser" sides.

International management is mostly about keeping the players motivated, though. You have such a short period of time to work with the players, motivation plays a much bigger part than tactics for "good" sides. Though it's the contrary for "lesser" sides.

All Spain seem to work on is those silly little runs from the left while a sqadron of dwarfs tinkers with the ball near center circle.

I agree with you, as soon as it comes to the tournament. But you have to qualify for that, too. That's where you need tactics as well. More than motivation.

I agree with you, as soon as it comes to the tournament. But you have to qualify for that, too. That's where you need tactics as well. More than motivation.

Yeah, which is why both a great tactician and motivator is needed. Capello is just one of the two, which is why it was bound to happen that England failed at the WC.

Yeah, which is why both a great tactician and motivator is needed. Capello is just one of the two, which is why it was bound to happen that England failed at the WC.

Exactly. Either both or both in one person. (Like Mourinho)

Klinsmann is s*** when it comes to tactics. The "mastermind" was Löw. Klinsmann was only the "motivator".

You can't be just a great tactician to be successful at club level, so don't really buy into that.

I think most would agree something wasn't right in the English training camp.  As outsiders it's pure speculation at the moment but Capello can't be blamed for the total failure of our World Cup just yet.

Klinsmann is s*** when it comes to tactics. The "mastermind" was Löw. Klinsmann was only the "motivator".

You can't be just a great tactician to be successful at club level so don't buy into that.

I think most would agree something wasn't right in the English training camp.  As outsiders it's pure speculation at the moment but Capello can't be blamed for the total failure of our World Cup just yet.

You can. As a club manager if you fall out with someone, you'll sell him. And the big difference with being at a world cup is that you are together with your players 24/7.

You can't be just a great tactician to be successful at club level so don't buy into that.

You can. As a club manager if you fall out with someone, you'll sell him. And the big difference with being at a world cup is that you are together with your players 24/7.

You can?  As in - 'you can blame him for our total failure at this World Cup'?

He made big mistakes tactically but even so, our players - in whatever formation - should be able to beat Algeria.

Our players should also know how to defend against a lone striker, from the oppositions goal kick.

You can?  As in - 'you can blame him for our total failure at this World Cup'?

He made big mistakes tactically but even so, our players - in whatever formation - should be able to beat Algeria.

Our players should also know how to defend against a lone striker, from the oppositions goal kick.

No. I was referring to the

part.