The Liverpool Thread

Parky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19703504

Mark Halsey complains to police after Twitter abuse

Referee Mark Halsey has made a complaint to Greater Manchester Police about insulting tweets directed at him.

Tweets sent after Manchester United's 2-1 win at Liverpool on Sunday referred to the 51-year-old's treatment for throat cancer in 2009.

Halsey drew criticism from Reds manager Brendan Rodgers after sending off Jonjo Shelvey for a first-half tackle.

Halsey told BBC Sport: "I can confirm that my family have made a complaint to the police."

He added: "I will be speaking to the police on Wednesday after I have returned from refereeing Southampton v Sheffield Wednesday."

Rodgers was angry after Halsey also awarded Manchester United a late penalty, which Robin van Persie converted.

"We could control our players' performance but what we can't control is decisions by the referee," Rodgers said.

Some Liverpool fans later took to Twitter to criticise Halsey's decisions, making reference to him dying of cancer.

The abuse was condemned by the match officials' organisation, Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

PGMOL said: "[We] abhor any abuse of match officials... in stadia or outside of it."

The PGMOL said psychological support was available to referees. "Our main concern is towards Mark and his family, and like with all match officials, there is a backroom team who are there for them," it said.

"This includes a sports psychologist, who has worked extensively with the select group, including Mark, over the past few years.

"Mark has already benefited from the support of all of his colleagues and they will continue to back him this week."

Referees' union Prospect has also come out in support of the referee, calling the tweets "beneath contempt".

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher said: "I know Mark as a friend and ex-colleague, and certainly, he will be shaken by it. Some things cross the boundaries, and this has.

"You expect stick as a referee, that is the nature of the game, but I think this has crossed the boundaries."

Halsey was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2009 but returned to refereeing in March 2010.

He will be in charge of next Saturday's Premier League match between Fulham and Manchester City.

Meanwhile, the Football Association is not expected to take any action over reports of offensive chanting by a minority of fans after the end of Sunday's game.

It noted that both clubs had been active in trying to stop offensive chants.

I'm not sure who the hell Rodgers thinks he is. He's got an extraordinarily unspectacular cv, yet spouts enough bullshit to paint himself as the next Mourinho. He's in for a massive fall. I think in years to come people will ask "did Brendan Rodgers really manage Liverpool!?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19703504

Mark Halsey complains to police after Twitter abuse

Referee Mark Halsey has made a complaint to Greater Manchester Police about insulting tweets directed at him.

Tweets sent after Manchester United's 2-1 win at Liverpool on Sunday referred to the 51-year-old's treatment for throat cancer in 2009.

Halsey drew criticism from Reds manager Brendan Rodgers after sending off Jonjo Shelvey for a first-half tackle.

Halsey told BBC Sport: "I can confirm that my family have made a complaint to the police."

He added: "I will be speaking to the police on Wednesday after I have returned from refereeing Southampton v Sheffield Wednesday."

Rodgers was angry after Halsey also awarded Manchester United a late penalty, which Robin van Persie converted.

"We could control our players' performance but what we can't control is decisions by the referee," Rodgers said.

Some Liverpool fans later took to Twitter to criticise Halsey's decisions, making reference to him dying of cancer.

The abuse was condemned by the match officials' organisation, Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

PGMOL said: "[We] abhor any abuse of match officials... in stadia or outside of it."

The PGMOL said psychological support was available to referees. "Our main concern is towards Mark and his family, and like with all match officials, there is a backroom team who are there for them," it said.

"This includes a sports psychologist, who has worked extensively with the select group, including Mark, over the past few years.

"Mark has already benefited from the support of all of his colleagues and they will continue to back him this week."

Referees' union Prospect has also come out in support of the referee, calling the tweets "beneath contempt".

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher said: "I know Mark as a friend and ex-colleague, and certainly, he will be shaken by it. Some things cross the boundaries, and this has.

"You expect stick as a referee, that is the nature of the game, but I think this has crossed the boundaries."

Halsey was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2009 but returned to refereeing in March 2010.

He will be in charge of next Saturday's Premier League match between Fulham and Manchester City.

Meanwhile, the Football Association is not expected to take any action over reports of offensive chanting by a minority of fans after the end of Sunday's game.

It noted that both clubs had been active in trying to stop offensive chants.

Thought it was a horrible tackle myself. And Mark Halsey is our best referee.

Hopefully this incident might lead to a brake on all the holier-than-thou stuff that comes from Merseyside.

Always thought he was a massive c*nt with a hugely inflated ego myself. Reminds me a lot of Allardyce.

a rather apt comparison actually, the aim is the same really (albeit with vastly different approach's) minimization of all possible risk, at Swansea the short passing wasn't designed to open up and  attack with some free flowing football but frustrate the opposition into making a mistake or at least deny the opposition chances by just keeping the ball. Both employ a rather statistic based approach from what I've been able to gather as well.

I admit that I haven't see endless replays of what happened in the Liverpool match, but it genuinely looked to me like Halsey got all of the big decisions right. 

Shelvey's tackle was appalling and a red card (to me, Evans' didn't look as bad).

I couldn't see a penalty forthe challenges on Suarez or Sterling and it looked pretty clear to me that Johnson fouled Valencia (although Valencia clearly went down pretty easily).

I assume I must have missed some Sky angle that showed these events completely differently from the reaction of Liverpool fans..?

Watching the second episode of this propaganda. Carragher mentioned how Rodgers knows everyone's name, which they followed up with clips of him saying different players names in training. What a guy.

is this shite repeated tonight. had no idea it was on again, dosent seem like a week?