The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest neesy111

The champions league is flawed in the fact it allows teams to be considered European Champions when they might not have won a title in there own league.  I'd still prefer old european cup knockout system but would never ever be allowed again.

The champions league is flawed in the fact it allows teams to be considered European Champions when they might not have won a title in there own league.  I'd still prefer old european cup knockout system but would never ever be allowed again.

Problem with that is, the UEFA Cup would then become the stronger competition because while Man U, Barca, Milan, etc. played in the Champions League, Arsenal, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Valencia, Inter, Roma, etc. would be in the UEFA.

I was thinking the other night whether it would be a reasonable idea to prevent teams who qualified for Europe from entering the League Cup. Would free up a bit of the schedule, increase the chances of smaller clubs winning it (and getting into the UEFA Cup and progressing from there) and reduce the number of virtual reserve teams taking part.

Thoughts?

I was thinking the other night whether it would be a reasonable idea to prevent teams who qualified for Europe from entering the League Cup. Would free up a bit of the schedule, increase the chances of smaller clubs winning it (and getting into the UEFA Cup and progressing from there) and reduce the number of virtual reserve teams taking part.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, but would take a bit of the prestige away if we won it with no big clubs in it. :undecided:

Thoughts?

I like the idea, but would take a bit of the prestige away if we won it with no big clubs in it. :undecided:

They generally treat it with disdain anyway though, and hardly anyone describes it as prestigious now.

Also, it could have a positive effect on the FA Cup as the only domestic cup they'd be in.

Thoughts?

Totally agree. Often mulled that.

Guest neesy111

Thoughts?

That is my concern.  Could you then class it as a major trophy then :undecided: ala Anglo-Italian cup.

Thoughts?

They generally treat it with disdain anyway though, and hardly anyone describes it as prestigious now.

Also, it could have a positive effect on the FA Cup as the only domestic cup they'd be in.

The FA Cup is generally still won by one of the top 4 clubs though apart from the occasional year anyway, and the Carling Cup is increasing in importance as well over the past 5 years. Birmingham beat 2 sides who'd qualified for Europe on the way to winning it this season, might as well just leave it. I'm sure if we'd played a full strength side against Arsenal we'd have stood a chance of winning so our own choice that we didn't get through.

Thoughts?

Would that mean that the winners of the competition wouldn't be allowed to defend it the following season?

Guest neesy111

The Carling Cup is there to be won for clubs like ours. We just haven't been good enough or brave enought to make a decent fist of it in recent years. It's mostly down to management.

Tbf, quite a few on here didn't even want us to have a go of it in both cups.  Which is totally wrong imo.

Thoughts?

Would that mean that the winners of the competition wouldn't be allowed to defend it the following season?

Suppose so. Variety FTW. ;)

The Carling Cup is there to be won for clubs like ours. We just haven't been good enough or brave enought to make a decent fist of it in recent years. It's mostly down to management.

Tbf, quite a few on here didn't even want us to have a go of it in both cups.  Which is totally wrong imo.

Totally wrong? As a newly-promoted side our priority is staying up.

Next season however, we should try and win it.

VI, come sort Wacko out will you?

And you're probably the weakest team to win that competition since it became the Champions League. How a side with Dudek, Riise, Traore, Finnan, Smicer, Kewell, Baros, Pongolle, etc. won that is ridiculous.

Which makes the achievement even greater.

If the sides we beat were so much "better", why didn't they beat us?

Were you disgusted that Porto and Monaco beat Real and Man Utd to reach the 2004 final, or just in 2005 because it was Liverpool?

Because everyone would rather watch Total Network Solutions and Young Boys Bern than Real Madrid and Arsenal.

Fair enough if you think the CL/EC should only be for league champions, but let's not pretend the current format doesn't contain much better sides than the old one.

To those suggesting we "had a go" at the cups this season - you did see the fit players remaining on the pitch at the end of the Everton game, right??

The only mistake we did make in the cups was trying to salvage something against Stevenage by throwing Tiote on as a sub and losing Tiote for the next three games.

To those suggesting we "had a go" at the cups this season - you did see the fit players remaining on the pitch at the end of the Everton game, right??

The only mistake we did make in the cups was trying to salvage something against Stevenage by throwing Tiote on as a sub and losing Tiote for the next three games.

It was bad. And so it probably couldn't have been any worse if we'd given it a go in the cups - what's your point?