The Liverpool Thread

Parky

They really have entrusted Dogleash with a frightening amount of cash. But when i look at their squad, there's so little that really frightens me.

I'd forgotten/never noticed that they finished runners-up the year we went down. I know the league has changed, what with that brand new Arab club gaining entrance to the league, but the Scousers look lightyears away from even challenging for runners-up.

Alonso  Mascherano

Gerrard

Torres

That was what made them the team they were. 3 of them gone, the other is never fit and probably finished.

He's hardly sniffing out great deals is this Comolli. He simply seems to hunt out British players and throw ridiculous money at them. As a previous poster said, these days, there's very little in a Liverpool side that frightens me.

Other of course, than the thought of hearing Jamie Carragher talk.

Guest Heneage

Outside of his work boosting the North East economy he's been on the sniff for prospects. Coates is one and Pelosi an American lad is one they've just signed.

He's hardly sniffing out great deals is this Comolli. He simply seems to hunt out British players and throw ridiculous money at them. As a previous poster said, these days, there's very little in a Liverpool side that frightens me.

Almost sure that Dalglish has some input in transfers too. I imagine Kenny has to approve suggestions by Commoli before anything happens.

So it's quite annoying that Liverpool fans are quick to blame Commoli for any sort of flops even though Dalglish should probably share some of the blame like.

It doesn't work in theory either, unless you play him on the right. Downing cuts inside all the time, he's a glory seeker and would rather take the shot on, leaving the gap between him and Carroll when playing on the left hardly big enough for a decent pass never mind a cross. Better distance if Carroll was the right forward or downing the right winger with Carroll in his normal position, but Suarez likes that right spot and henderson is too shit to play anywhere else but the right wing.

Downing needs to change his game to help out Carroll, but I doubt he will, I doubt even KD even sees this problem.

Also, Henderson when in that spot needs to release the ball early in the air for Carroll to attack, like Barton used to, but unlike Barton, Henderson fancies himself as a bit of a winger, bit of a player who'll run with the ball and try to advance, and when he does finally put a ball in the entire defence is facing the right way to deal with carroll moving with pace, enough to get the jump on him and either nullify or disrupt Carrolls arial ability. Flatfooted defended with the early ball, that's what Carroll is all about, Liverpool don't have a player to provide him with it, apart from gerrard who'll spit his dummy if you put him on the right wing if he ever gets fit again.

Nice points. It's a flawed system without a doubt, but even if in principle it worked it's never a gameplan that would get them anywhere.

Downing's a dependable player and can whip a canny ball in but really is a fairly limited player. The game has moved on from a wide man crossing in towards the big man. They've spent that £55 million on a tactic that is just not going to get them where they want to be with that money.

Compare them to City (now I know this is discounting wages) but you look at the linkup between Silva and Aguero who cost around the same and it's on another planet. Their play is so much more dynamic, varied, incisive and free-flowing. The only Liverpool player who could fit into that City front line and not look out of place is Suarez.

Before PhilB marches in and tells me Liverpool couldn't attract those two, they are just an example. There's numerous other players better than Downing and Carroll they could have signed and for less money too. Infact, they actually looked a better side LAST year when they had Meireles, Maxi Rodriguez and Kuyt in there.

There's absolutely no balance to the squad, nothing that really shines centrally either to take the pressure off the wingers and the aerial threat Carroll should bring. A shambles of a central defence due to injury, only really kept together by Reina, while apart from getting lucky with Jose, their team just doesn't work for me in any department.

Their spine won them the CL along with other victories and good standing, but it's been ripped out, not replaced properly and messed about with too much, to hold any kind of respect anymore. Losing Gerrard through injury and old age while selling Alonso and mascherano is a huge blow to them which they'll not get over, certainly not by trying to erase the initial mistake of losing two of them and replacing them inadequately by trying to change their entire formation and philosophy by now playing down the wings to fit players with totally different styles that they are used to. It may have worked if they had the usual solid base of defenders to keep steady and evolve, but they don't, so from facelift to facelift it gets worse, nobody knows exactly wtf it's supposed to look like. It tickles me to say the least, as it is the shit we've had to put up with for years changing from manager to manager, style and philosophy, reactionary shite from the board throwing tens of millions down the drain only to be worse of squad wise by the end of it.

# 2006 - 2011 Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season

1 Manchester City £537,670,000 £100,550,000 £437,120,000 £87,424,000

2 Chelsea £267,100,000 £122,200,000 £144,900,000 £28,980,000

3 Liverpool £309,540,000 £225,530,000 £84,010,000 £16,802,000  :frantic:

4 Tottenham £238,300,000 £162,100,000 £76,200,000 £15,240,000

5 Aston Villa £168,550,000 £100,400,000 £68,150,000 £13,630,000

6 Sunderland £146,900,000 £84,225,000 £62,675,000 £12,535,000

7 Stoke City £72,725,000 £11,520,000 £61,205,000 £12,241,000

8 Manchester United £217,200,000 £160,350,000 £56,850,000 £11,370,000

9 Fulham £76,975,000 £30,075,000 £46,900,000 £9,380,000

10 Bolton £73,150,000 £34,150,000 £39,000,000 £7,800,000

**Our net spend is 29m+ (ie profit on transfers) over that period.

Almost sure that Dalglish has some input in transfers too. I imagine Kenny has to approve suggestions by Commoli before anything happens.

So it's quite annoying that Liverpool fans are quick to blame Commoli for any sort of flops even though Dalglish should probably share some of the blame like.

My brother (who is a liverpool fan) pointed out this week that since kenny was appointed their squad is much less cosmopolitan with Glen Johnson being their only black first team player.  I've heard a few stories about dogleash and tbh, i'm not too surprised.