The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Fair do's

Ive not really paid much attention for the most part. I just chimed in when I heard epic swindle :lol:

The man's a class A cunt. He's off his fucking rocker if he thinks he deserves anything but a smack in the face.

Fair do's

Ive not really paid much attention for the most part. I just chimed in when I heard epic swindle :lol:

The man's a class A c***. He's off his f***ing rocker if he thinks he deserves anything but a smack in the face.

I think he has been great!

Guest VegasToon

Fair do's

The man's a class A cunt. He's off his fucking rocker if he thinks he deserves anything but a smack in the face.

TBF, I think you are trading one problem for another.  My personal opinion, I don't think American owners have a place in the Premier League.  Us Americans do not have a full grasp of the passion you have for your clubs.  We have choices to go from one team to another during the year with American Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey.  England pretty much has one sport all year long.  For example, the Red Sox miss the playoffs (equalivant to Liverpool missing Europe,)  have an aging squad, and their is no out cry from the fans.  Why?  The fans are now watching the New England Patriots and Boston Bruins.  Our culture is different about how we follow sports.  I believe Parky should get another point for Liverpool trading one American owner for another.  This will not have a happy ending.

A statement from Hicks' and Gillett's New York representatives announced they were suing over "an extraordinary swindle" but appeared to accept that they will have to relinquish ownership of the club.

Steve Stodghill, the Texas lawyer representing the duo, said: "This outcome not only devalues the club but it also will result in long-term uncertainty for the fans, players and everyone who loves this sport because all legal recourses will be pursued. Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett pledged to pay the debt to RBS so that the club could avoid administration that was threatened by RBS. That offer was rejected.

"It is a tragic development that others will claim as a victory. This means it won't be resolved the way it should be resolved."

Hicks told the Associated Press that his attempts to block the club's sale, which he believes undervalues the club, were blocked by "the British establishment" in collusion with members of Liverpool's board. "This was a conspiracy of the British establishment and our own [club] employees," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/15/liverpool-nesv-takeover-complete-john-henry

Is Hicks correct?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Its far fetched. Chances are there was a bit of communication between RBS and the Liverpool Board, but it'll have been to get a deal done quickly as it was in both of their interests.

Fair do's

TBF, I think you are trading one problem for another.  My personal opinion, I don't think American owners have a place in the Premier League.   Us Americans do not have a full grasp of the passion you have for your clubs.   We have choices to go from one team to another during the year with American Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey.  England pretty much has one sport all year long.  For example, the Red Sox miss the playoffs (equalivant to Liverpool missing Europe,)  have an aging squad, and their is no out cry from the fans.  Why?  The fans are now watching the New England Patriots and Boston Bruins.   Our culture is different about how we follow sports.  I believe Parky should get another point for Liverpool trading one American owner for another.  This will not have a happy ending.

Everyone's creaming their pants now that John Henry's arrived. It reminds me of Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize (wtf?) simply for not being George Bush.

TBH, I'm entirely devoid of any expectation of the new owners one way or the other. We've avoided a 9-point deduction, but apart from that ... meh.

I can see anything happening, from us building a new stadium, and winning the league thrice, but at the cost of ticket prices being bumped right up to what the market will bear (though I'm not sure they're too far from that now...) to things being much as now, or even worse. I know he masterminded the first World Series in an eternity for the Red Sox, but so what? This ain't MLB.

A statement from Hicks' and Gillett's New York representatives announced they were suing over "an extraordinary swindle" but appeared to accept that they will have to relinquish ownership of the club.

Steve Stodghill, the Texas lawyer representing the duo, said: "This outcome not only devalues the club but it also will result in long-term uncertainty for the fans, players and everyone who loves this sport because all legal recourses will be pursued. Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett pledged to pay the debt to RBS so that the club could avoid administration that was threatened by RBS. That offer was rejected.

"It is a tragic development that others will claim as a victory. This means it won't be resolved the way it should be resolved."

Hicks told the Associated Press that his attempts to block the club's sale, which he believes undervalues the club, were blocked by "the British establishment" in collusion with members of Liverpool's board. "This was a conspiracy of the British establishment and our own [club] employees," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/15/liverpool-nesv-takeover-complete-john-henry

Is Hicks correct?

Hicks is full of shit. What he calls the "British Establishment" is what we know as "British Law".

He applied for an injunction, because the bank turned him down when he "pledged" to repay the debt.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEtrhc12lI-0Qhaah3HrLo9JdIty8Wk3tSTrrgxMcaes4QLOE&t=1&usg=__AgF42rJBfWYMfAkJgGHJu_WrNsc=

His valuation of the club is based on something he read on Forbes.com website. Our own Johnny C did an exhaustive explanation why it's a load of nonsense, but the essence of it is they pulled the numbers out of their arses. A glance at the numbers is enough to see that.

I reckon that, if a US court even accepts his case, jurisdiction will get booted back to the UK, where they'll tell him to get lost. Again.

I've no idea what the exact financial details are (and I'd love to know). In particular, I'd really like to know how much H&G have lost :)

Has anyone seen a proper financial breakdown of the figures?

Just seen Hicks on ssn, came across quite well tbf.

As much as I think Hicks is a bit of a shyster, in his long interview on sky (utube), he comes across quite measured and balanced. Interesting to hear that he had plans and art ready for the new stadium (spent 30m with architects at the end of 2008) and was readying to build a 'world class stadium'. He notes that the world fiancial crisis robbed him of the funds and backing he had in place for the stadium, which had to be put on hold. He also points out that Rafa had the second biggest amount of money to spend only behind man city (SAF also points this out somewhere). I think he has a point in the sense that there was a ;conspiracy' by the board to keep him from getting back into the club even though as he maintains "we had the funds ready to pay the RBS loan off". if the last bit is true, there is a good chance that the 1Billion $ law suit for damages looks more promising than just vengence or payback.