The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Yeah that wasn't great, hopefully the content will get a bit more meaty with the rest of the series when stuff is actually going on. That snippet for the next episode with Rodgers going through the pre-game tactical analysis with the players is the kind of thing I want to see and interests me about this kind of series.

That was just the set up like, it'll be much more interesting as the season goes on. Is it gonna be on Five all way through?

6 parts only

What, there are only six parts? Or only six are going to be on Five? I assume the former.

That was just the set up like, it'll be much more interesting as the season goes on. Is it gonna be on Five all way through?

6 parts only

What, there are only six parts? Or only six are going to be on Five? I assume the former.

only 6 parts in total most of which I think was filmed during pre season maybe one or two bits from the actual season but doubt if anything overly interesting (like losing 3-0 to wba) will make it into it, just not good advertising for new fans as the entire thing seems to be

A question for the older lads on here, but isn't this "historical rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United" hype simply rewriting history? I'm 43 and I don't remember any great rivalry between them in the late 1970s and 1980s before Ferguson. At that time, Manchester United were simply not a competitive club. Liverpool's rivals were teams like Forest, Ipswich, Everton, Arsenal, and Villa. Conversely, in the Sky/Premiership era, Liverpool have barely been competitive and have watched on as Manchester United have domestically surpassed their historical achievements.

So hyping the rivalry helps Man U forget they were massive underachievers and were even relegated when Liverpool were coming to be the main force in English football and helps Liverpool forget they have been mainly also-rans for the last twenty years. If Man U have rivals, they are Arsenal, Chelsea and now Citeh. Liverpool are just a team that raises their game against them.

Yep, I lived in Manchester from 1966 to 1976 and undoubtedly the main rivalry was between Man U and Man City. Liverpool were only rivals in the same way that Leeds, Spurs, Everton and the other leading teams were rivals.

Things changed with Man City's decline.

I think the Liverpool - Man U thing has become more talked about over the last 15 years or so, with Liverpool's frustration and anger at their inability to crack the Man U stranglehold. That's added a bit of spice to their matches.

Fergie was told he had to out do liverpools titles.  He has done a great job in domestic terms but Liverpool have 5 european cups.

That would surprise me tbh. After a gap of over 20 years, Man U were desperate for just one title. Liverpool's total looked unassailable and I don't think anyone dreamed that it could be overtaken that quickly.

A question for the older lads on here, but isn't this "historical rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United" hype simply rewriting history? I'm 43 and I don't remember any great rivalry between them in the late 1970s and 1980s before Ferguson. At that time, Manchester United were simply not a competitive club. Liverpool's rivals were teams like Forest, Ipswich, Everton, Arsenal, and Villa. Conversely, in the Sky/Premiership era, Liverpool have barely been competitive and have watched on as Manchester United have domestically surpassed their historical achievements.

So hyping the rivalry helps Man U forget they were massive underachievers and were even relegated when Liverpool were coming to be the main force in English football and helps Liverpool forget they have been mainly also-rans for the last twenty years. If Man U have rivals, they are Arsenal, Chelsea and now Citeh. Liverpool are just a team that raises their game against them.

Yep, I lived in Manchester from 1966 to 1976 and undoubtedly the main rivalry was between Man U and Man City. Liverpool were only rivals in the same way that Leeds, Spurs, Everton and the other leading teams were rivals.

Things changed with Man City's decline.

I think the Liverpool - Man U thing has become more talked about over the last 15 years or so, with Liverpool's frustration and anger at their inability to crack the Man U stranglehold. That's added a bit of spice to their matches.

Wasn't a large part of it due to Fergie's public "Knock [Liverpool] off their fucking perch" tirade?

Can't believe that they have to print that.

It shouldn't be f***ing sung end of.

In a perfect world yes, but we live in one far from it, and with them singing munich songs at every opportunity at the manure fans then it just continues to escalate. Hopefully this puts a stop to both sets of chants, but really, it'll be a temporary cease fire at best.

Can't believe that they have to print that.

It shouldn't be f***ing sung end of.

In a perfect world yes, but we live in one far from it, and with them singing munich songs at every opportunity at the manure fans then it just continues to escalate. Hopefully this puts a stop to both sets of chants, but really, it'll be a temporary cease fire at best.

Aye i forgot about the Munich chants.

Awful.