The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Taken from the BBC website

Liverpool have appointed ex-Tottenham director of football Damien Comolli as their director of football strategy.

The 38-year-old Frenchman was sacked by Spurs in October 2008 after three years at the club and later joined French outfit St Etienne as sporting director.

He will begin work with Reds owner John Henry and boss Roy Hodgson immediately.

"I am delighted to be joining Liverpool and look forward to working with John and Roy," said Comolli, who also spent seven seasons as a scout at Arsenal.

"I think we all realise there is a big job ahead, but we all share the vision that John has for rebuilding the club and bringing back the success that the supporters deserve."

Since succeeding Rafael Benitez as Liverpool manager last summer, Hodgson has endured a difficult start to life at Anfield.

His side were knocked out of the Carling Cup by Northampton, won only one of the first eight Premier League matches this season and were in the relegation zone until Sunday's late victory at Bolton.

"I am looking forward to working with Damien whom I have known for many years," said former Fulham boss Hodgson.

"We are engaged in an exciting project here and he will bring a lot to the table. We all want to see moves to strengthen the squad and support player development over the next few years.

"John Henry and I are totally united in delivering on that ambition."

Henry's New England Sports Ventures (NESV) group completed a £300m takeover of Liverpool in October and the American indicated Comolli's appointment could be the first of several."

On the surface it looks like a good appointment, don't really know that much about him apart from the fact he was an ace scout.

Commoli isn't as bad as some people make him out, he did make some really good signings at Spurs. He also had his fair share of flops though and certainly isn't the reason they are doing so well right now which he tries to claim all the credit for.

He likes to play the political game. I don't see this ending well.

Didn't Comolli have a job at Arsenal once?

Think he was one of their main scouts for a few years

Was with Wenger at Monaco and then taken to the arse as Eur scout. Tricky one this, there are many permutations.

If Liverpool use him in the right way I think it might just work out for them unfortunately.  :undecided:

First sign that they are going the cheap route with youth development and all that guff. Personally I think his main job will be overlooking the transition from Hodgson to the next manager.

His big spending at Spurs

1. Vedran Corluka, Manchester City, £8.5m

2. Roman Pavlyuchenko, Spartak Moscow, £14m

3. Cesar Sanchez, Real Zaragoza, Undisclosed

4. David Bentley, Blackburn Rovers, £15m-17m

5. Heurelho Gomes, PSV Eindhoven, £9m

6. Giovani dos Santos, Barcelona, £4.7m

7. Luka Modric, Dinamo Zagreb, £15.8m

8. Gilberto, Hertha Berlin £1.9m

9. Alan Hutton, Glasgow Rangers, £8m

10. Jonathan Woodgate, Middlesbrough, £7.5m

11. Chris Gunter, Cardiff City, £2m

12. Kevin-Prince Boateng, Hertha Berlin, £5.2m

13. Danny Rose, Leeds United, Undisclosed

14. Younes Kaboul, Auxerre, £8.2m

15. Darren Bent, Charlton Athletic, £16.5m

16. Adel Taarabt, RC Lens, Undisclosed

17. Gareth Bale, Southampton, £5m – £10m

18. Ben Alnwick, Sunderland, Undisclosed

19. Ricardo Rocha, Benfica, £3,5m

20. Mido, AS Roma, £4m

21. Pascal Chimbonda, Wigan Athletic, £4m

22. Steed Malbranque, Fulham, £3.5m

23. Didier Zokora, St Etienne, £6.5m

24. Benoit Assou-Ekotto, RC Lens, £3.5m

25. Dimitar Berbatov, Bayer Leverkusen, £10.9m

26. Hossam Ghaly, Feyernoord, Undisclosed

27. Danny Murphy, Charlton, £2m

If Liverpool use him in the right way I think it might just work out for them unfortunately.  :undecided:

First sign that they are going the cheap route with youth development and all that guff. Personally I think his main job will be overlooking the transition from Hodgson to the next manager.

Ladies and gentlemen, met your new *ahem*......."Director of Football Strategy"..... ???

What the fuck does that mean btw?  ???

Ladies and gentlemen, met your new *ahem*......."Director of Football Strategy"..... ???

What the fuck does that mean btw?  ???

means they don't want woy buying or selling the players i think