4-2-3-1: Should we give it a go?

The Prophet

Don't think it would work with our current players tbh. Although I think Barton could play in that "Schweinsteiger role" and next to him I would probably prefer Nolan.

Offence something like that:

Barton           Nolan

Routledge           Guthrie            Jonas

Carroll

People only seem to talk about Inter and Germany, but Liverpool reached the dizzying heights of 6th place with that formation.

Formations are overrated. It's using the adequate players and good positional sense/coaching that makes the difference.

that should be nailed on thr wall of every manager's office

Guest firetotheworks

In our situation I imagine the formation will be an irrelevant series of numbers amounting to 10 when the reality will pretty much always be that we're 4-5-1 with those 5 being in line with the '2' in the proposed 4-2-3-1. And Andy Carroll being the 1 in both.

It would take the players very little to adapt to a 4-2-3-1 formation as they were playing virtually that formation all last season.

Nolan was the attacking part of central midfield with one other midfielder pushing up, the wingers were our main points of attack with Carrol being our target.

I would rather go for this formation and for Taylor to push up on the wing like enrique does whilst attacking:

-----------------Krul------------------

Taylor---Willi-----Colo-----Enrique

------Barton------Guthrie--------

Routledge----Nolan-----Jonas

-------------Carrol--------

It feels like the game is getting overly complicated now and is being over analzysed.

Get the right type of players, playing the style of football they enjoy, and you 90% of the way there.

strange comment robster, it's traditionally how teams with less talent overcome their more talented opponents: analyse their weaknesses and your own strengths to overcome adversity

Low is doing a fucking amazing job of combining the two things at the minute...

FWIW I agree with Prophet, we should play it 100% but i think hughton is the type of manager who'd tinker it back to 4-5-1 as he's more defensively minded

People only seem to talk about Inter and Germany, but Liverpool reached the dizzying heights of 6th place with that formation.

Formations are overrated. It's using the adequate players and good positional sense/coaching that makes the difference.

:clap:

formations are overrated?  :facepalm:

Liverpool - Gerrard and Torres = Average team.

What I mean is that I never bought the "this or that formation is best" bollocks, or that tactics are that different once you're on the pitch and people start running. What matters is players ability to react and adapt to changing situations on the pitch, and the coaching to do so. 442, 433... it really matters little, football is not a game of subbuteo.

Guest Antigalican

To me if your not capable of holding down a place in a 442 or 352 then you're probably just not capable.

The formations are all blurred together anyway. What is the difference between 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-4 other than the mentality of the players. Most people will say a team like Chelsea play a 4-2-3-1, but I would argue that it is more of a 4-2-4.

Playing 4-2-3-1 requires the 2-3 to be able to be a fluid and cohesive unit - defending when we don't have the ball and supporting the striker when attacking. Our shower of s**** wouldn't be able to understand let alone play the system. They're just not up to it.

We'd start banging long balls to Carroll who would lose it and the 4-2-3-1 would become a 4-5----1 and we'd get a hiding. It's a great idea in princple but our midfielders can't make it work effectively imo. :(

to be fair we'll do that ina 4-4-2 anyway.

Very true, unfortunately :sadnod:

Eh? Inter Milan have just won the Champions League with it.  :lol:

And Liverpool failed miserably with it, as I said. players/coaching >>>>>>> formation.

what's the German coach said?  he had a system in mind and picked the players that would best suit it, no?

i think what you're saying is obvious, and kind of a given; there's no point in picking a system such as Chile have just done if there's very little/shit coaching to back it up and/or the players are so brain dead they can't adapt to it

not sure liverpool is a great example, benitez had relative success with a version of that system 'til he sold the heartbeat of the side (Alonso) plus Gerrard and Torres had shocking seasons - had they performed to their usual standard liverpool would have finished 4th imo

formations are important but how they're implemented is also key; anyone remember keegan catching 3-5-2 fever and trying that out?  i do, i wish i didn't but i do...

Guest teepee

the 4-2-3-1 will certainly end up as 4-5-1 for us - and that is a general problem with this formation...

Does that mean Kevin Nolan is the equivalent of Sneijder/Ozil?

:laugh:

Was about to bring this up but seen you have done it.

That role needs pace and dribbling skills to make best use of the space and uncertainty of the two centre backs, who don't know whether to come out of formation to stop you or keep formation and allow you to run.  Nolan would be so slow that it he wouldn't be able to be the "rapier" that the role requires.

Guest Stephen927

What I mean is that I never bought the "this or that formation is best" bollocks, or that tactics are that different once you're on the pitch and people start running. What matters is players ability to react and adapt to changing situations on the pitch, and the coaching to do so. 442, 433... it really matters little, football is not a game of subbuteo.

Agreed.

it is with the movement we show.