Dan Gosling

Dave

Even without the through ball for their goal and the brainless tackle, it was evident that he simply lacks the agility, positional discipline, intelligence, composure, quality on the ball and all other possible qualities to ever resemble a good central midfielder. He should prove that he can be relied on consistently in the reserves before getting another chance with the first team.

Couldn't have put it better. I've tried plenty of times though :lol:

Aye, he doesn't look like a natural footballer at this level. I think he needs more playing time (at a lower level) and more coaching/work to see if he can develop more. A grafter looks like the most we can hope for.

Thought he actually did ok ish first half.  Cabaye had to sit too deep for my liking, again.  But he got forward a few times and played as a box to box midfielder.  Doesn't look comfortable on the ball though and was just so fucking stupid for their goal and then the red  :huff:

If Tiote is still out, just pray Abeid, or even Vuckic get a chance.  Imagine Smith against Swansea's 5 man, possession mad midfield  :undecided:

• 3 weeks later...

Watching MOTD has just reminded me (showed a bit tonight, saw a different bit at the time), he was mouthing off like f*** at someone on the touchline as he walked off.

Pardew?

And then he didn't even make the bench despite being available again v Liverpool. Although this could equally have been because of his abysmal performances. Think that makes it unlikely he will appear on the wing v Man U, thankfully.

Play him on the right? Worth a shot? :undecided:

Might give us a bit more movement in the final third like.

Given that that's exactly what we're lacking on the wings it might be worth a shot.

So far this guy has reminded me of Kevin Nolan more than anyone :lol: (That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for putting him on the wing... But, you get the idea)

Play him on the right? Worth a shot? :undecided:

I think I'd rather play Ryan Taylor there and by now it must be clear how much I rate him. Gosling is another player of limited ability who won't offer us any superiority to even the poorer sides like Wolves or Bolton. But hey, he's probably saying and doing the right things so let's play him.

It's quite clearly nothing to do with what he's saying or doing. More to do with the fact that the alternatives all present a laundry list of problems.

If Gosling plays on the right he'll play shit. He's neither quick enough or got any skill IMO. To me he looks worse than mediocre through the middle, I just can't see him doing anything other than getting shown up by his opposite number out wide. That goes for whoever we're playing whether it's man U or QPR.

He looks to me like the type that could play as a false winger. Essentially providing cover to his full-back and making himself an option in space higher up the park with clever runs - something he's good at.

Guest neesy111

It's quite clearly nothing to do with what he's saying or doing. More to do with the fact that the alternatives all present a laundry list of problems.

If Gosling plays on the right he'll play shit. He's neither quick enough or got any skill IMO. To me he looks worse than mediocre through the middle, I just can't see him doing anything other than getting shown up by his opposite number out wide. That goes for whoever we're playing whether it's man U or QPR.

Barton was shit in CM for us.  Only came into form after he was shifted to RM.

He looks to me like the type that could play as a false winger. Essentially providing cover to his full-back and making himself an option in space higher up the park with clever runs - something he's good at.

From what I've seen he looks like he can run up and down the line without pace so yes he could provide cover for the full back defensively. He might still get into a goal scoring position from there, although his lack of football ability means his possession and general passing will be fairly crap. I think I'd prefer Ryan Taylor tbh, at least he can cross a ball fairly well.