Dan Gosling

Dave

Wonder what signing on fee he and his agent took, if any.

I hope he turns out a good player for us but I'm under no delusions as to why we signed him.

What are these delusions that you aren't under?

There is quite a difference between picking up a free agent and signing a player on a free after the player has refused to sign a new contract and left on a Bosman.

Davids, Falmini, Ballack, Sol Campbell etc (no I'm not comparing Gosling to these players, just highlight that good players don't always command a transfer fee).

I hope he turns out a good player for us but I'm under no delusions as to why we signed him.

Illusions even. :blush:

We signed him in a purely cynical, opportunistic move IMO. As mentioned I hope he does well for us but I believe the move was sanctioned as a money-making exercise first and foremost.

We signed him in a purely cynical, opportunistic move IMO. As mentioned I hope he does well for us but I believe the move was sanctioned as a money-making exercise first and foremost.

If we make money from his signing it's been justified tbf. You are making a great case for the opposition here mate.  :doh:

Suffered a setback, probably out for the rest of the season.

Great signing.

He cost nothing, we hadn't exactly built our whole game plan around him, so what if he can't play for a while? Post this again in two years time and maybe we can have a sensible conversation about him.

He cost nothing? Mike Ashley's regime has been fairly vocal about factoring in wages when it comes to money spent on players, so unless Gosling has been unpaid this season I'd say there's already been a significant outlay. Hopefully he'll turn out to be a player worth all this time and expense.

My apologies. He cost us a wage, as have any number of players who have taken a while to prove their worth - Enrique, Nolan, Barton, Colo all had less then promising starts here, The point I was making was  that they all cost us a transfer fee, and Gosling didn't.

Good players tend to command transfer fees. I'm not saying Gosling isn't a good player but just because they are free doesn't necessarily make them the right player to sign.

We've seen enough in recent years to know that the transfer fee is related to a combination of how long is left on the contract and. of course, the demand for the player. So Carroll signs a new contract with us for 5 (was it?) years and, thank you very much, if you want to buy him him the price is going to be a bit steep.

The Gosling situation seems to be one where the contract wasn't sorted by Everton (to their annoyance) and, shits that we are, we exploited it. But yeah I haven't got a clue if he's going to make it as a player, my best mate is an Evertonian and he reckons they've cocked up big time on Gosling fwiw.    

If we make money from his signing it's been justified tbf. You are making a great case for the opposition here mate.  :doh:

When did I say it wouldn't be justified? I'm not on a 'side' here, just giving my opinion. ???

When did I say it wouldn't be justified? I'm not on a 'side' here, just giving my opinion. ???

If making money for Newcastle is cynical and opportunistic then I'm glad we're cynical and opportunistic.

What I mean is that I don't believe we signed him with any particular consideration of whether he'd fit into the team, and the manager at that time probably didn't have any say in it. He was available for free on a unique deal and we took advantage of it.

If making money floats your boat then fair enough. Personally I don't really care, I just like to see the team do well.

What I mean is that I don't believe we signed him with any particular consideration of whether he'd fit into the team, and the manager at that time probably didn't have any say in it. He was available for free on a unique deal and we took advantage of it.

If making money floats your boat then fair enough. Personally I like to see the team do well.

But we'll only make any decent money if he does well in the team...

/Circular arguements are circular.

If he does well in the team then why would we want to sell him? We'd make money by selling him even if he was rubbish as he'd be under contract. I'm not saying that getting him was a bad thing, far from it. I just don't believe it was motivated by the requirements of the team or the specific wishes of the manager. It was purely because at absolute worst-case we'd be able to make a few bob by selling him on. A similar principle applies to signing Ben Arfa permanently so early.

Just my opinion, doesn't make it the truth.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BooBoo

Any word on when Gosling is likely to be fit? Could really do with him considering Tiote is banned and Nolan teetering ever closer to a ban.

I know its not his fault but he's been a disaster so far with his injuries. The combined game time of 3 of our summer signings (HBA, Fat Sol and Gosling) has been miniscule.

Guest icemanblue

Got a feeling this lad could be a perma-crocked type.

:lol: Why is that, like? Because he's had a serious, long term, injury that we rushed him back from?

Guest icemanblue

Got a feeling this lad could be a perma-crocked type.

:lol: Why is that, like? Because he's had a serious, long term, injury that we rushed him back from?

Just an opinion.

An entirely baseless one, yes.

Carry on.