Dan Gosling

Dave

I think he's a limited player in the same degree as Guthrie is, but he wasn't awful today by any stretch. He needs games to get back to first team level after such a long time out.

I think he could do a decent job playing with Cabaye or Tiote, but asking him to play alongside Guthrie, who hasn't played a great deal himself, is always going to be more difficult.

He's f***ing s****.

Well, with that out of the way, we need to utilize him to the best of his strengths -- so far I'm not sure what they are. As TT rightfully pointed out, the GosGut are our backup, and in that they have done a decent job of not crumbling under the pressure against an Everton midfield far superior than what we put out for the majority of the game today. With the next option being Smith, Gosling looks like f***ing Zidane.

I just wish he had more bite and creativity about him. Right now he just walks about, with Guthrie putting in hard work.

Jesus

He's f***ing s****.

Well, with that out of the way, we need to utilize him to the best of his strengths -- so far I'm not sure what they are. As TT rightfully pointed out, the GosGut are our backup, and in that they have done a decent job of not crumbling under the pressure against an Everton midfield far superior than what we put out for the majority of the game today. With the next option being Smith, Gosling looks like f***ing Zidane.

I just wish he had more bite and creativity about him. Right now he just walks about, with Guthrie putting in hard work.

:jesuswept:

:lol: You guys need to relax.

Read the whole freaking post. I do hope for the best for him, though. I hope he's not another crock we signed who disappears once his contract is up. At least got his injury out of the way.

Needs to enforce himself more.

I think that there has been enough evidence this season that we should stop writing players off. Absolute nonsense to be saying Gosling is shit this early into his NUFC career.

Guest Heneage

He needs to find his niche to be honest. I would imagine Pardew is still analyzing him as a player because in many ways he's like an inherited new signing ( :bluestar: ).

To me he doesn't look like a playmaker at all. His touch is a bit iffy but if we can get him going as a ball winner or a box to box midfielder then we could be onto a winner. He's still quite far away from the finished article obviously.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Aye. Made some good interceptions and blocks in and around our penalty area, but we've seen glimpes of Nolan esque ghosting up the other end of the pitch. Think we have a decent player in there.

And that's the crux of it. We don't know what his strengths are, we can only go by the faith Pardew has shown in him by observing him in training and reserves games.

Not writing him off, as some have seemed to have gleaned from my post, just don't think he's shown us anything to be in wonder about thus far. Hence the "fucking shite" hyperbole. I do hope he comes good.

Not least because we need bodies. Each injury makes me want to weep.

Guest Heneage

And that's the crux of it. We don't know what his strengths are, we can only go by the faith Pardew has shown in him by observing him in training and reserves games.

Not writing him off, as some have seemed to have gleaned from my post, just don't think he's shown us anything to be in wonder about thus far. Hence the "f***ing s****" hyperbole. I do hope he comes good.

Not least because we need bodies. Each injury makes me want to weep.

I think the problem is, when he's had a year out (like Ben Arfa) we're going to need to be patient. We all saw how slowly Ba started. I'm not saying the pair of them will replicate such form, but we do need to give them time to just calmly settle themselves back into the rigmarole or Premier League football. I know people have said that Ben Arfa in particular should be playing reserve games, but in truth there is such a gap in class between that and first team level that really it won't benefit him much.

We saw how much Santon dominated against Norwich. The players don't so much need physical fitness work as they do march sharpness. Hopefully Tiote/Cabaye and the other injured players aren't carrying serious knocks as I'd hate to throw players in and be so expectant.

Were gonna lose our next two games regardless it Tiote and Cabaye play, anytime for them to be injured it's now, don't want either of them putting in a decent shift against the Manc clubs as they'll be bidding for them next month and ashley has his price.

Guthrie/Gosling partnership is uninspiring, but they are our backup, and we should be grateful we've got them, next option is smith.

I don't agree that we're going to lose our next two games regardless of whether Guthrie and Tiote play. I think we'd probably lose to Man City but would definitely fancy our chances of nicking something from the Man U or Chelsea games if we can get a midfield two out of either Cabaye, Guthrie or Tiote. All are quite good technical players and can move the ball around quite nicely. If Gosling is playing alongside Guthrie though I think we'll lose control of the middle. Guthrie looks twice the player next to a commanding partner but Gosling looks very limited and I think Guthrie will also go back into his shell if those two start together.

We saw how much Santon dominated against Norwich. The players don't so much need physical fitness work as they do march sharpness. Hopefully Tiote/Cabaye and the other injured players aren't carrying serious knocks as I'd hate to throw players in and be so expectant.

:dontknow:

Thought he got box to box well, made some crucial interceptions and blocks, including his save.

Put a shift in, but as others have said, he didn't show for the ball or get many touches, but he has hardly played at this level in the last 18 months and there is some promising signs I think.  Had a quick check on Guardian chalkboards and he only attempted like 15 passes or something ridiculous, Guthrie 49 I think.

Strange he doesn't get defended that much for his form like others who have had similar long term injuries...

People who have defended him due to his long term injury:

Not sure how anyone can proclaim we will/won't be able to things with him in the side, what number game was this since he joined?

Give the lad a chance, is lacking sharpness and match fitness in a big way. Hes still young and will come good.

Hope people aren't going to make a solid judgement based on today, just remember how much football he's played in the last 18 months.

FFS he's had lengthy injury lay offs

He needs games to get back to first team level after such a long time out.

obviously hes not going to be at absolute maximum with the amount of time he was out and thus missing that match sharpness

The lad has hardly played in the last 2 years. He did as well as could be expected.

Ergo, you're talking bollocks.

Strange he doesn't get defended that much for his form like others who have had similar long term injuries...

Not sure how anyone can proclaim we will/won't be able to things with him in the side, what number game was this since he joined?

Give the lad a chance, is lacking sharpness and match fitness in a big way. Hes still young and will come good.

Hope people aren't going to make a solid judgement based on today, just remember how much football he's played in the last 18 months.

obviously hes not going to be at absolute maximum with the amount of time he was out and thus missing that match sharpness

The lad has hardly played in the last 2 years. He did as well as could be expected.

Like I said, not much compared to others...

+1

he has hardly played at this level in the last 18 months and there is some promising signs I think.

Oh and judging by the number of posts regarding his performance on Saturday, the percentage of people mentioning his injury seems fairly high to me ????

Even people that criticised his performance I'm sure are well aware of his situation. I don't really understand what you're getting at. I see no difference to the trend of discussion in this thread to that of Ben Arfa's.

Apart from people shooting down anyone that dare criticise his performance and claiming that they don't understand football.

Gosling could do with a few fan boys that support him rather than the team to make that happen.

Well HBA is a different style of player, no doubt a more exciting one. It's hardly surprising that people are ready to forgive more mistakes by HBA, his very style of play demands it. And when he gets it right the results will be spectacular.

Gosling deserves patience as much as anyone returning from injury, obviously. And game time.