The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

I predict right now that Tottenham will have a terrible season next year, and Redknapp will be gone at the end of the season. You can just see it happening.

I actually think the opposite. His comments recently indicate that he's well and truely fed up with a few players so hopefully it's the return of the cut throat, no nonsence Redknapp and not this 'nice guy' imposter we've had this season.

He said we need to bring in "class players" too. All sounds promising.

Out of interest, what's the general attitude of Spurs fans to Harry?

I always get the impression that the rough, diamond geezer thing wouldnt naturally go down too well at Tottenham, but then he produces results, which can't be sniffed at.

I predict right now that Tottenham will have a terrible season next year, and Redknapp will be gone at the end of the season. You can just see it happening.

I actually think the opposite. His comments recently indicate that he's well and truely fed up with a few players so hopefully it's the return of the cut throat, no nonsence Redknapp and not this 'nice guy' imposter we've had this season.

Nee offense but which 'class' players are going to move to Spurs?

If they want quality players then they'll have to scrap their wage structure. Quality players want quality money.   

Guest kingdawson

Noone of quality will come to Spurs if they're not in Europe.

In fact, you won't get that much more interest in the Europa League.

We won't get any more interest in the Europa league which ive already stated. It's cool, we'll wait and see come summer time but i think we'll bring in some class players (much like we usually do).

Loads tbh. Say what you like but we're an attractive option for players these days. I'm not saying world class players because that's obviously unrealistic but class players? yes we can do that (much like we did with players like Modric and Berbatov without Europe to attract them).

Surely Harry must be in the market for a striker?

Guest kingdawson

I always get the impression that the rough, diamond geezer thing wouldnt naturally go down too well at Tottenham, but then he produces results, which can't be sniffed at.

Majority don't like him and never have done tbh.

Of all the strikers you went for in Jan who didn't move you're only in a weaker position now which aside from Aguero and Forlan the players are all in a stronger position with their teams. Yes they'll be attractive to the second tier type player but top notch I think not.

Guest kingdawson

Loads tbh. Say what you like but we're an attractive option for players these days. I'm not saying world class players because that's obviously unrealistic but class players? yes we can do that (much like we did with players like Modric and Berbatov without Europe to attract them).

Surely Harry must be in the market for a striker?

Yep he's already stated we need a couple so that's a great sign. The only problem is finding a buyer for Keane (Defoe and Pav will be easier...think Defoe will stay anyway).

I don't think the Europe thing comes into it much, to be honest. Were they even playing in the Europa League when they signed Modric, for example?

The thing with their good signings is not that they've attracted them on the basis of the fact they're Tottenham - in that respect, they're going to struggle, as they don't offer mega wages and they're not one of the largest clubs - the key point is that they identified them and went out and got them. They've signed some decent players.

Their problem, I think, will be that their players have now tasted the CL - a decent chunk of it, too - and that is something of a double edge sword, as the players will want more, and anything that happens next season is going to be a bit of a let down by comparison. As for the Europa League, I honestly think most players would prefer not to be involved in that at all.

My prediction of doom for Spurs next season, though, is based as much on "because that's exactly the sort of thing that happens to Spurs" as it is on rational evidence, mind.

Yep he's already stated we need a couple so that's a great sign. The only problem is finding a buyer for Keane (Defoe and Pav will be easier...think Defoe will stay anyway).

What you need is for Martin O'Neill to get a job, thus securing you a buyer for Keane.

Guest kingdawson

Of all the strikers you went for in Jan who didn't move you're only in a weaker position now which aside from Aguero and Forlan the players are all in a stronger position with their teams. Yes they'll be attractive to the second tier type player but top notch I think not.

I never said top notch. Top notch to me indicates world class so obviously that isnt happening. The next tier down like a Cardozo, Lukaku, Falcao, Cavani etc etc will be attainable though provding Levy breaks wage structure.

What dont they like about him in particular?

You can't argue with his results, surely?

Guest kingdawson

I don't think the Europe thing comes into it much, to be honest. Were they even playing in the Europa League when they signed Modric, for example?

The thing with their good signings is not that they've attracted them on the basis of the fact they're Tottenham - in that respect, they're going to struggle, as they don't offer mega wages and they're not one of the largest clubs - the key point is that they identified them and went out and got them. They've signed some decent players.

Their problem, I think, will be that their players have now tasted the CL - a decent chunk of it, too - and that is something of a double edge sword, as the players will want more, and anything that happens next season is going to be a bit of a let down by comparison. As for the Europa League, I honestly think most players would prefer not to be involved in that at all.

My prediction of doom for Spurs next season, though, is based as much on "because that's exactly the sort of thing that happens to Spurs" as it is on rational evidence, mind.

Great post.

I made that point about Europa League about a week ago but apparently i was wrong. No one gives 2 shits about that lame competition (well players i mean). It's champions league or nothing in their minds.

I never said top notch. Top notch to me indicates world class so obviously that isnt happening. The next tier down like a Cardozo, Lukaku, Falcao, Cavani etc etc will be attainable though provding Levy breaks wage structure.

Class players, top notch, whatever.

Don't know the ins and outs but I can't see Levy breaking the rules, if he'd wanted too surely Jan would've been the time. Falcao, from what I've seen would be devilish in the Premiership, I think Spurs have suffered from playing Crouch too much this season as like with when he plays for England players look or the direct game when they're better playing the short game.

Guest kingdawson

What dont they like about him in particular?

You can't argue with his results, surely?

Personally i really rate him.

The simple fact is Gomes has cost us at least 10 points this season alone. I mean that in itself would see us sitting comfortably in 4th spot. Fair enough he ballsed up bad not bringing in strikers but when a player literally costs you double figures in points then it's a big big problem.

Next season he'll ship out the deadwood and bring in quality imo. I'm very confident.

Great post.

I made that point about Europa League about a week ago but apparently i was wrong. No one gives 2 shits about that lame competition (well players i mean). It's champions league or nothing in their minds.

Shows how much the Europa League needs and overhaul, they should cut down the teams in it, and make it knockout from the start. Or something like that.

Guest kingdawson

Don't know the ins and outs but I can't see Levy breaking the rules, if he'd wanted too surely Jan would've been the time. Falcao, from what I've seen would be devilish in the Premiership, I think Spurs have suffered from playing Crouch too much this season as like with when he plays for England players look or the direct game when they're better playing the short game.

but Levy did try and break the wage structure in january? you think he was bidding over 30m on 3 or 4 players to offer them 50k wage?

but Levy did try and break the wage structure in january? you think he was bidding over 30m on 3 or 4 players to offer them 50k wage?

As I said I don't know the ins and outs.

So if they didn't sign then, why should they sign now?

Even our players never gave a flying one about the Europea League.

Think about it, you're 21, 22 years old, you're picking up 30k a week, you're happy as a pig in shit, you get your afternoons off to swan about town buying clothes and acting Charlie Big Bollocks, so how does it feel having to fly out to Latvia to play FC Cocksocket on a Thursday night, to appear in front of a Channel Five audience which will be dwarfed by repeats of Escape to the Country on BBC2?

The competition is an absolute joke. and I find it impossible to believe that any player anywhere would factor in playing in the EL as a swinging factor in signing for a club.

Guest kingdawson

So if they didn't sign then, why should they sign now?

Do you actually read what i write?

i said not those top tiers but the next tier down and actually state the players by name.

Great post.

Shows how much the Europa League needs and overhaul, they should cut down the teams in it, and make it knockout from the start. Or something like that.

Straight knockout was great. Theres absolutely no appeal in a meaningless group match at home to Bulgaria's finest (not even that!). It took an impressive amount of effort to mess up that competition in such a short timespan. And the name change was stupid too.....it'll always be UEFA to me.

I can see a couple of players wanting to jump ship in search of CL football like.

Then Spurs will be left to pay over the odds on the best of average from the midtable clubs.

Even our players never gave a flying one about the Europea League.

Think about it, you're 21, 22 years old, you're picking up 30k a week, you're happy as a pig in shit, you get your afternoons off to swan about town buying clothes and acting Charlie Big Bollocks, so how does it feel having to fly out to Latvia to play FC Cocksocket on a Thursday night, to appear in front of a Channel Five audience which will be dwarfed by repeats of Escape to the Country on BBC2?

The competition is an absolute joke. and I find it impossible to believe that any player anywhere would factor in playing in the EL as a swinging factor in signing for a club.

Unfortunately the competition is a fucking joke. Still love to see us back in it like. UEFA once again they don't have a fucking clue.

If only it wasn't for money, top 2 Champs League, rest in the Waffa and bring back the Cup Winners Cup, winner of the Waffa goes in the CL. Bingo.