The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

I'm hoping that Clattenburg was playing an advantage from the handball rather than not seeing it, although the common sense thing to do would have been to pull it back after Gomes cocked it up. Shows that you need to play to the whistle though!

I'm hoping that Clattenburg was playing an advantage from the handball rather than not seeing it, although the common sense thing to do would have been to pull it back after Gomes cocked it up. Shows that you need to play to the whistle though!

Shows that refs need to be stronger or more aware. If felipao was right, it looks like Gomes DID think he was playing to the whistle.

Was it my imagination, or was the linesman doing that hand covering mouth thing, even though Ferdinand was right next to them and so could presumably hear everything he said?

Shows that refs need to be stronger or more aware. If felipao was right, it looks like Gomes DID think he was playing to the whistle.

Was it my imagination, or was the linesman doing that hand covering mouth thing, even though Ferdinand was right next to them and so could presumably hear everything he said?

The hand to mouth thing is for the TV cameras I think. Ferdinand should have been booked for being there as well.

Why would the referee play advantage in the teams own penalty box? The only time advantage really applies is when calling the foul would prevent the team from continuing attacking play. This isn't the case when a striker commits two yellow card offences in the opposing team's box.

Really, I'd be a lot more inclined to give referees slack as far as these goals where players place the ball for freekicks if they hadn't benefited the two biggest teams in England.

The hand to mouth thing is for the TV cameras I think. Ferdinand should have been booked for being there as well.

As if that would ever happen.........

Why would the referee play advantage in the teams own penalty box? The only time advantage really applies is when calling the foul would prevent the team from continuing attacking play. This isn't the case when a striker commits two yellow card offences in the opposing team's box.

Really, I'd be a lot more inclined to give referees slack as far as these goals where players place the ball for freekicks if they hadn't benefited the two biggest teams in England.

Most keepers can kick further from their hands than they can from the floor as they can use their whole penalty box- it's pretty common to play advantage if the keeper has it in his hands, especially if there's a break on. Once Gomes had put the ball on the floor he probably should have blown though.

Guest rabit71

thought the clattenburg decision was shocking

it harks back to when he didnt give that mendes lob against man u

refs are really getting me down this season

btw - how big is this board? this is my first post

Terrible decision. On par with the Sunderland freekick taken/not taken at Anfield.

Just goes to add further to that no-so-myth that the big teams get all the dodgy decisions at home - can't wait for a ref to man up and finally shove it to Man U.

If he didn't blow the whistle then the goal should stand. If anything, the linesman should be at fault for causing such confusion. You can criticise the referee for not giving a free kick, but not for the goal.

Referees are encouraged to let the game flow and with the keeper in possession of the ball, was could benefit from making him drop it and take a free-kick? If anything it would stifle a potential counter-attack so late on in the game.

A lot of the Man U fans think they were robbed of a blatant penalty :lol: I really hate fans who are just so incredibly blind as too what actually occurred. Even when people here were going OTT with the de Jong incident. The colour of your shirt does not change the image relfected on your retina.

The thing that annoys me is that everyone on the pitch thought it was a free kick. Even Kaboul doesn't react when he sees Nani being a bastard and taking the ball away. It's not even worth considering. When Nani steals the ball, he glances at the officials to make sure he will get a goal instead of a yellow card. The other player in the box never reacts at any point, and the end result is a player being rewarded for his petulance.