The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Watching the Arsenal match, it is again another sign that this Arsenal team has not been coached the ugly details (defending set-pieces, pressing, marking). I first thought this last year when they were utterly clueless against Barcelona, evidenced by how indisciplined they were in pressing Barca. I mean, Sagna presses up but the CBs don't, leaving so much room, then the midfield pushes up but the defence stays back, again leaving room. This happened for 180 minutes against Barca and they got fucked. Then yesterday you see how not one of their players jumped to defend VdV's free-kick. If they jumped, the ball would have hit Fab/Chamakh and nothing would have come of it. It's just another example that shows how indisciplined they are defensively. The fact that they're so good on the ball masks most of their defensive frailties because the other team can barely create the chances needed to score, but when they're up against a team that can keep the ball as well they get fucked because they're unorganised at the back. That's the reason they've been fucked by Man Utd's counter-attacks in most of their matches in the past few seasons.

Wenger deserves credit for moulding his team into one that plays good football, but he also deserves criticism for the lack of organisation at the back. The fact that they're so fluid and free offensively is the reason they're so good, but that same philosophy is also what costs them so dear at the back. The fact that Wenger uses his player's instincts and reactions as a key component in attacking is what makes them great, but a player's instincts and reactions can only go so far in defending. Maybe when Wenger can get his team to focus as much on defending as they already do on attacking, they'll be true title contenders.

Took you a while.

:rolleyes:

Excellent post from Apisith.

Guest neesy111

I think the time has come for either Wenger to abandon this transfer policy or for him to leave Arsenal.  They need a change in direction for me, as these players will not win a trophy in their current form.

Guest kingdawson

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg502/scaled.php?tn=0&server=502&filename=xk4j.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

They were canny successful yesterday like  O0

He's just angry his team haven't won anything since 05 and his manager abuses water bottles.

If we don't get 4 points from our next 2 games then I'll be a tad concerned. Because after that we have Chelsea away who, unfortunately, will have Lampard, Essien and a fully fit Terry by then. And a fully fit Drogba. Grand.