Premier League Experience v. Potential talent

The Prophet
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basically inspired by the Sol Campbell rumour I was wondering, given a straightforward decision between a played aged thirty plus tried and tested in the Premier League and a younger fella from the lower/foreign leagues who would you prefer?

For me personally it depends on the position they play. For example at the back we have Taylor, Colo and Williamson two of which have played in the Premier League. However with one in need of a mentor of sorts and the other unconvincing against anyone with an ounce of strength I'd personally prefer to sign up a player with a bit of experience in the league ala Sol Campbell. However in the centre of midfield we have plenty of experience but no running, flair or engine so I'd be far more willing to try and untested younster who ticks at least some of these boxes.

Obviosuly I'm basing this on the assumption both players have a bit of quality.

For me it's a case of past experiences. I just want young hungry players with the will to improve and further their careers. Players who are only likely to go up in the game than downwards and have the motivation to make it happen.

Rarely do successful team have a bunch of over the hill players, 1 or 2 I'd be willing to accept and I'm starting to come round to the Campbell signing. However if we sign Campbell and don't go on to strenghten elsewhere with youth I'd be dissapointed.

Depends on the position.  Striker, I'd have to say tried and tested at the minute, but Centre Midfield I'd go for up and coming.

Striker I'd go somewhere in the middle. I'd love us to sign somebody around 24/25 who's proven elsewhere but also has room for improvement, where that player comes from doesn't bother me.

Each team should have a fine mix of both, but in our situation we should lean towards the experience.

In the recent past, 'experience' has done us aproximately bollocks all.

In the past, we aimed for more than survival.

Each team should have a fine mix of both, but in our situation we should lean towards the experience.

The 'experience' went a large part to getting us relegated. I can't really think of an example of bringing in experienced, older players has contributed significantly to a teams survival/success. For the most part, I think it's a total myth tbh.

And still failed at the survival part.

this

I like to think that we can have the best of both worlds. Their is no reason why we can't get 24-26 year olds who can still progress but still have experience. Plenty of younger players these days have done well out on loan at clubs but have not made it at their own clubs but can still do a pretty good job. At this moment in time I think O'hara is a good example, also Onouha, they haven't made it at their own clubs but would still make it in an average to decent Premiership side.

Our current defense is young, so if we're after another addition I'd welcome experience.

Our midfield is aging, so if we're after another addition I'd welcome a hungry youngster.

It all depends on the situation, so it's a hard question.

very much depends on the position and the player in question, at cb its always good to have an old head available, same with gk imo but other positions like out wide on the wings is where a young player is preferable

Successful teams replace most of their aging players with new ones and rejuvinate the side into a new generation, then we pick up their 'experienced' scraps and ultimately go backwards.

We should just follow the Wigan model with the exception is we're probably slightly more capable of holding onto players. Wigan's team would be great if they weren't so shit and needed to sell their best players every summer.

All our most experienced players have been our worst players pretty much, but that's not because they were experienced.

Most of our 'experienced' players have actually been in terminal decline when they arrived, obviously nobody wants that. I would take a couple of wise heads for the right price... i.e. if Campbell is free and his wages aren't mental - but I wouldn't be signing anyone over 27 on a long contract for any sort of transfer fee.

Not in the quality bracket that we're looking at anyway.