Jermaine Jenas

Ishmael

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't remember Jenas being much trouble? Always seemed professional and looked like he was going to become world class 02/03 season. Had a slow season in 03/04 then Souness played him a lot out wide 04/05 and he was never the same here. 

He was trouble from towards the end of 02/03 - on a constant pissed-up prowl of Baha Beach Club more than once a week alongside Dyer.  He was never the same player full stop once his professionalism suffered - can’t say I blame Souness as the rot was already well and truly set in. 

33 minutes ago, Stifler said:

When I first started following football, Jenas was probably my favourite outfield player. I thought he was going to be the best big thing.

He suddenly went to Spurs, and Spurs were below us at the time. It was probably the first or one of the first indications that Shepard had checked out.

As it turns out, that debut game aside, he wasted his opportunity. He could have been so much better. Now both Spurs, and Newcastle fans would forget about him if he wasn’t on our TV all the time.

We were below Spurs when he left - and we only recouped what we paid, which indicates how far his stock had fallen.  He’d been shite for two years by that point. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He was trouble from towards the end of 02/03 - on a constant pissed-up prowl of Baha Beach Club more than once a week alongside Dyer.  He was never the same player full stop once his professionalism suffered - can’t say I blame Souness as the rot was already well and truly set in. 

A lot of footballers went out at that time, I don't remember any stories of Jenas being particularly troublesome the same way we got stories about Bellamy, Bramble, Dyer...

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

A lot of footballers went out at that time, I don't remember any stories of Jenas being particularly troublesome the same way we got stories about Bellamy, Bramble, Dyer...

He wasn’t as much of an out-and-out arsehole as those three, but he was always there with them

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

When I first started following football, Jenas was probably my favourite outfield player. I thought he was going to be the best big thing.

He suddenly went to Spurs, and Spurs were below us at the time. It was probably the first or one of the first indications that Shepard had checked out.

As it turns out, that debut game aside, he wasted his opportunity. He could have been so much better. Now both Spurs, and Newcastle fans would forget about him if he wasn’t on our TV all the time.

My feelings exactly. The fact he was playing the Champions League with us and then leaving to join an 11th? Placed Spurs really pissed me off. And then the way he would talk about us after was a slap in the face. So glad I’ll never have to see him represent us as a pundit for the rest of my life. The fact that he did was bewildering

Just all strange career choices and decisions for one so allergic to living in a goldfish bowl. 

delighted he’s been found out nationally as a player and person. Little scrote who is a legend in his own mind 

23 hours ago, J7 said:

Do I need to change my user name? 

No, you use that because of Joelinton.

If anyone asks its JOELINTON not Jenas.

Stick to that and you'll be fine! 🤣

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He wasn’t as much of an out-and-out arsehole as those three, but he was always there with them

He wasn't really. Just wasn't cut out for the pressure that Bruno seems to revell in.

Some players love being recognised and adulated but he wasn't one them. Obviously had ideas above his station and ability and was showing it by the end, but we did make a decent profit on him and it went downhill for him the second he left us.

Been a total prat since but not on Owen levels. 

Another one to be forgotten, only to come up in random pub quizzes in 10-20 years time

He used to scuttle about side to side, someone called him the crab, can’t remember who!

His stuff about coming back from the England squad to a lower level was just self indulgent bullshit. He compared himself to Lampard, At the same age Jenas was at Newcastle Lampard was still at West Ham, Jenas was given champions league starts and training with internationalswhen Lampard was in a side scratching around the bottom half. 

Ultimately Jenas wasn’t good enough, he was decent in all attributes but top in none. Wasn’t a great passer, didn’t score that many goals, wasn’t good at protecting a defence, couldnt dictate play. That’s why it was spurs who came knocking and not one of the “sky 4” as was

Edited by WilliamPS

4 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

He used to scuttle about side to side, someone called him the crab, can’t remember who!

His stuff about coming back from the England squad to a lower level was just self indulgent bullshit. He compared himself to Lampard, At the same age Jenas was at Newcastle Lampard was still at West Ham, Jenas was given champions league starts and training with internationalswhen Lampard was in a side scratching around the bottom half. 

Ultimately Jenas wasn’t good enough, he was decent in all attributes but top in none. Wasn’t a great passer, didn’t score that many goals, wasn’t good at protecting a defence, couldnt dictate play. That’s why it was spurs who came knocking and not one of the “sky 4” as was

Obviously thought he was destined to be one of the best and the step from Forest to us would be how his entire career would go. Unfortunately for him his ability wasn't at the same level as ego, as at the time only really Arsenal/Chelsea/Man U was a real step up...then enter Souness

3 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Jenas was one of the 'young guns', who in the end did for SBR. Part of that pack along with Dyer, Bellamy and Bramble.

Arrogant pricks they were and probs still are.

Out of those you mention, I have a bit of time for Dyer, although he infuriated me when he played. The rest, completely agree. 

Thing with Jenas he blamed us for his development but he got his 'big move' eventually and his career still didn't amount to much. Since those comments he's been about 50/50 with us. Praises us sometimes but gets his digs in when he can. 

Just now, Stuy_O said:

Out of those you mention, I have a bit of time for Dyer, although he infuriated me when he played. The rest, completely agree. 

Thing with Jenas he blamed us for his development but he got his 'big move' eventually and his career still didn't amount to much. Since those comments he's been about 50/50 with us. Praises us sometimes but gets his digs in when he can. 

Jenas and Bellamy have definitely been more pro-NUFC since the takeover.

2 minutes ago, Fak said:

Jenas and Bellamy have definitely been more pro-NUFC since the takeover.

I haven't listened to Bellamy lately, if he is fair enough. There was a point where he didn't have a good word to say about Newcastle, or the fans. 

9 minutes ago, Stuy_O said:

I haven't listened to Bellamy lately, if he is fair enough. There was a point where he didn't have a good word to say about Newcastle, or the fans. 

Got plenty time for Bellamy. Off the pitch he comes across as a decent person...(seem to recall he owns/runs various community charity projects), and was the only one with the nerve to call out Souness for the p***k he was

14 minutes ago, Stuy_O said:

I think Bellamy was just hurt over the whole thing. He's a bit of a fucked up bloke, by his own admission.

59 minutes ago, Stuy_O said:

Newcastle were a bigger club in 2002 than Spurs were in 2005

Tottenham are more like what the media think Newcastle are than what Newcastle are. 

56 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Got plenty time for Bellamy. Off the pitch he comes across as a decent person...(seem to recall he owns/runs various community charity projects), and was the only one with the nerve to call out Souness for the p***k he was

Didn't he get fired by Cardiff for bullying academy players? :lol: Always seemed a snide little cunt to me, like. 

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Newcastle were a bigger club in 2002 than Spurs were in 2005

Totally agree. Hence the emphasis on big move.  He is however player who just reminds me of our slow demise. 

Take your pick - losing to Belgrade on pens, Souness replacing Bobby, losing to Sporting Lisbon, Chelsea’s takeover. All contributed.