The number 9 shirt - is it more than just a shirt?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

The number 9 shirt is held in high regard at Newcastle but many fans regard it as nothing more than a mere number and shirt. Where do you stand on the number 9 shirt? For me its a special shirt and always will be.

If every Newcastle number 9 was great, then it wouldn't be so special. What's makes it great is that every now and again we get a player above the norm who we can adore. The Shinton's, Pingel's and Cunningham's help add to the legend imo, 

And now the Carroll's O0

Guest johnson293

I think its maybe deemed a bit less special now due to squad numbers where a player gets a shirt and can't change it, whereas before, you could play anyone in any number and they 'earned' the shirt. In the past we have had some truly great No.9's such as Hughie Gallagher, Jackie Milburn, Malcolm McDonald, Andy Cole and Alan Shearer of course.

However, in between, I bet there are a fair number who wore the shirt, and didn't do as well, or leave as many good memories.

From the late 70's through to the early 90's, can anyone name many of our 'great' number 9's??

Paul Goddard wore it, but while he was a decent player, he didn't break many scoring records in it.

I think its good for a local lad to have it again - I just hope he can do well, and can take the pressure, it will surely bring for him because of its history.

I think its maybe deemed a bit less special now due to squad numbers where a player gets a shirt and can't change it, whereas before, you could play anyone in any number and they 'earned' the shirt. In the past we have had some truly great No.9's such as Hughie Gallagher, Jackie Milburn, Malcolm McDonald, Andy Cole and Alan Shearer of course.

However, in between, I bet there are a fair number who wore the shirt, and didn't do as well, or leave as many good memories.

From the late 70's through to the early 90's, can anyone name many of our 'great' number 9's??

Paul Goddard wore it, but while he was a decent player, he didn't break many scoring records in it.

I think its good for a local lad to have it again - I just hope he can do well, and can take the pressure, it will surely bring for him because of its history.

did hughie gallacher ever wear a no.9 ?

It is a special number but I don't think it should be kept back for, say, a big money signing or anything like that. More shite players have worn it than greats - hopefully Andy Carroll will propel himself to the latter category. Good luck to him.

I think its maybe deemed a bit less special now due to squad numbers where a player gets a shirt and can't change it, whereas before, you could play anyone in any number and they 'earned' the shirt.

This sums up my thoughts on player numbers up for me rather well.

Guest chris

Its  special to newcastles fans and players who no the history of the shirt. Other clubs

dish there no9 round to anybody

Its  special to newcastles fans and players who no the history of the shirt. Other clubs

dish there no9 round to anybody

so have we.

it's special to newcastle fans cos the press have told them it is.

Guest guinness_fiend

Every club has their sacred shirts.  The higher the calibre of players in a squad, the more numbers are revered (Liverpool is a good example).

Personally, I don't care who wears number 9, as long as they perform in it.

it's special to newcastle fans cos the press have told them it is.

Aye, just like we'd rather win the FA Cup than the Premier League.

Lose 4-3 then win 1-0 :pow:

Should it be more than a shirt? Probably not. But it is and we can't escape that. Only a few clubs have 'special' shirts and we're famous enough to be one of them. The stream of past  number 9s will ALWAYS be mentioned, whereas for most clubs it just wont.

Personally, I like that in this era of oil tycoon owners, strange kick-off times and identical meccano stadiums......we still have tradition and nostalgia.