Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

I agree with neesy like. We've left things far too late, what was the deal with hughton getting things done early?

You tell me? What deal was that?

End of last season Hughton saying we had an 'advantage' over everybody else knowing what our future was meaning we could prepare early for bringing people in. Yet we're now seemingly behind in terms of recruitment...

We've brought in three players, if Ben Arfa signed tomorrow would you still say we were behind?

If...

I'd still say we'd be behind in terms of improving the team. The way it stands we've only got 1 new player who is fit and ready to go and he's seemingly very average.

We're no further forward from last season and the way we stand we're going to really struggle. I'm not panicking about it because ultimately there is nothing we can do, but that doesn't mean I can't point the blame at the management for failing to strengthen at all before the first game.

Behind who then?  What Ben Arfa can offer has been our biggest weakness by a country mile for ages now, he could potentially improve us hugely.  Also campbell will be fit 2nd or third game, and he'll improve the defence a hell of a lot IMO.

No way of knowing whether we could have pushed this through any quicker, so cant really place blame.

Prob Marseille slowing it down if anyone to attract attention. The Niang nonsense was just unexpected & seems unlikely we'll get him now to me. Theres not really any benefit in them letting him go anymore if he'll only join a side who will take him on loan. They cant get any decent cover in with a loan fee.

I agree with neesy like. We've left things far too late, what was the deal with hughton getting things done early?

You tell me? What deal was that?

End of last season Hughton saying we had an 'advantage' over everybody else knowing what our future was meaning we could prepare early for bringing people in. Yet we're now seemingly behind in terms of recruitment...

We've brought in three players, if Ben Arfa signed tomorrow would you still say we were behind?

If...

I'd still say we'd be behind in terms of improving the team. The way it stands we've only got 1 new player who is fit and ready to go and he's seemingly very average.

We're no further forward from last season and the way we stand we're going to really struggle. I'm not panicking about it because ultimately there is nothing we can do, but that doesn't mean I can't point the blame at the management for failing to strengthen at all before the first game.

Behind who then?  What Ben Arfa can offer has been our biggest weakness by a country mile for ages now, he could potentially improve us hugely.  Also campbell will be fit 2nd or third game, and he'll improve the defence a hell of a lot IMO.

Of course if Ben Arfa comes I'll be a lot more optimistic, but that's still very much up in the air atm.

Campbell I have mixed faith in tbh, but if he does come good then credit to Hughton.

I still think overrall this has been pretty underwhelming, better than I expected orginally like, but nowhere near enough that's actually required.

Headline saying he's not left, Marseille want to keep him, he wants to go to Newcastle.

something really doesn't add up about that does it?  he's at the french champions, can go to other teams who'll have better domestic campaigns than us and he'll not get an increase in wages

yet he wants to come to us

hm.... ???

Its pretty obvious, he wasn't to play in the Premiership, he wants to showcase what he can do and you don't showcase yourself in the French, German or Portuguese leagues.

Aren't OM in the CL :lol:

And top end of the German League >>>>> Fighting relegation in the PL I'm afraid for showcasing talent. 

Showcasing talent doesn't just mean playing where the TV ratings are highest you know?  Playing in a shit team that might struggle against relegation is not likely to help him on a personal level is it?

He's not staying with Marseille though, due to the problems he's had their.  Also you have a limited number of games in the Champions League vs a league campaign.

The fact is the Premiership is the most watched league on the planet and despite the shit we've been through we're still reasonably high profile.  If we're fighting relegation that won't necessarily stop him from playing well either.  If a truly high profile German side came in for him then maybe he'd go their instead, but most German sides wouldn't be a better showcase.

Apparently Ben Arfa agrees :lol:  Unless you can think of another reason why he's so set on coming here?

I think he definitely wants to come here like, I can just see Marseille putting the stoppers on it and making him stay.

Isent Ben Arfa known to be a rebel?

If he dont want to play there, i am sure they will let him go.

Ben Arfa not happy in a squad, will be terrible for the moral in the dressing room.

Its the only thing i have against him coming here also tbh...

so when do people panic, 3 days before the end of the transfer window.

with the injury to leon best, we need at least 4 bodies in now

in rare agreement with neesy here like, fucks me off when people come up with the "don't panic" shit - it's plain and clear what's needed and ashley's track record suggests we won't get it so why fucking ignore that?

personally not panicking 'cause i don't expect us to sign any decent players unless they're loans, think we're pretty much set now

How would panicking help, like?

so when do people panic, 3 days before the end of the transfer window.

with the injury to leon best, we need at least 4 bodies in now

in rare agreement with neesy here like, fucks me off when people come up with the "don't panic" shit - it's plain and clear what's needed and ashley's track record suggests we won't get it so why fucking ignore that?

personally not panicking 'cause i don't expect us to sign any decent players unless they're loans, think we're pretty much set now

How would panicking help, like?

give us something to bitch about?

Guest BooBoo

Predicton- "We're working on bringing the right players to the club for the right price. We know where we need to strengthen. I don't anticipate any new faces for Monday but hopefully by the end of the month."

Predicton- "We're working on bringing the right players to the club for the right price. We know where we need to strengthen. I don't anticipate any new faces for Monday but hopefully by the end of the month."

i actually read that in my head with ch voice.

Newcastle wary of entering a bidding war - Mark Douglas, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United have suffered a setback in the chase for Hatem Ben Arfa after Marseille tried to initiate a bidding war for the services of the France midfielder.

United believed they had struck a deal to take Ben Arfa on loan over the weekend but there has been an apparent change of heart at the Stade Velodrome, with Marseille putting a temporary block on the deal yesterday.

The French champions had come to a verbal agreement with United over a £770,000 one-year loan but a meeting scheduled for today has been postponed, indicating the deal is not as advanced as first thought.

United officials are understood to be relaxed about the situation but Newcastle will not be drawn into a bidding war for the player, and will move on to other targets if necessary.

Sources in France indicated to The Journal that they may be looking to smoke out more interest in the player before letting him conclude his desired move to the Premier League – but with Ben Arfa adamant that he does not want to join Benfica, Rubin Kazan or Hoffenheim, it looks unlikely to have the desired effect.

The player is currently with the national team preparing for their friendly against Norway tonight but he is understood to have instructed his agent that he wants to play in England – and sees United as the perfect stage for a fresh start to his career. Marseille know they need to get players off their wage bill to finance a move for Brazil striker Luis Fabiano and will sell either Ben Arfa or Senegal striker Mamadou Niang to push it through. Marseille president Jean-Claude Dassier said yesterday it would “not be realistic” to sell both and it is clear that he would rather broker the permanent sale of Ben Arfa than a year-long loan.

But despite claims from France of a fresh bid for Paris SG striker Mevlut Erding the Magpies simply are not prepared to blow their budget on a player rated at around £6m.

Chris Hughton has a restricted budget which is even ruling him out of signing some players on loan. Newcastle are understood to have an interest in Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne but the loan fee may prevent any deal taking place.

That being the case, it is even more crucial that Hughton has all of his players fit for the trip to Manchester United – and there was mixed news on that front yesterday.