Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

The money should be made available to sign him. We've spent virtually nothing since we got promoted, trimmed the wage bill, received a wedge of cash for going up, sold loads (30k??) of season tickets, increased sponsorship/advertising and signed a new deal with Puma.

If the club can't make £4m available now then we may as well not bother trying to stay up. Pay the money and get the lad in and playing ffs.

The money should be made available to sign him. We've spent virtually nothing since we got promoted, trimmed the wage bill, received a wedge of cash for going up, sold loads (30k??) of season tickets, increased sponsorship/advertising and signed a new deal with Puma.

If the club can't make £4m available now then we may as well not bother trying to stay up. Pay the money and get the lad in and playing ffs.

This. And fnas buying all the merchandise when we got promoted/buying some of the old adidas shirts and the new Puma ones. Clever marketing by bringing rhe home kit out a month later than the other 2.

i fully agree but i just can't see in our current situation despite the new income from TV, merchandise etc Ashley releasing funds. 

imo Ashley sees the new cash injection into the club as his chance to balance the books more so its a more attractive propostition so he can sell.  Splashing out £4-5m wouldn't help this plan.

Guest neesy111

if we haven't got £4m then we can't pay Marseille £4m no matter how good a deal it maybe.

we have got 4M, ashley is trying to claw back his losses this season

No we haven't, we haven't got a pot to piss in,  we are skint and still got a huge wage bill to pay for.   We wouldn't be scraping around looking at loans and freebies if we money in the bank. 

Which is why it's imperative that we survive. We aren't going to do that with the current playing staff.

remember our income get's an extra 40M+ this season, so to say we're skint isn't exactly true!

yes and that £40m will be going into the clubs coffers to cover the aforementioned wage bill and costs,  i'm sure Ashley will be wanting to use that and other income the club can generate in the PL so he doesn't have to put another £20m in to keep us going again.

This isn't some kind of defence of Ashley and i'd love us to just sign the lad but if the club hasn't got the money then we haven't got it, simple as.   We aren't in the Shepherd era anymore and Ashley isn't going to spend money if it puts us further in debt.

the club will have a surplus of around 10-15 million if figures from last season should be correct, when taking into account the extra money we receive from tv this season!

if ashley decided to put his 20M in, then the club would be flush with money actually!  when we got relegated we still had a turnover of around 80M, considering our wage bill is now around the 40M mark, then it's simple ashley is looking to make a profit from the club this season to payback his debt's on the club

Guest neesy111

i fully agree but i just can't see in our current situation despite the new income from TV, merchandise etc Ashley releasing funds. 

imo Ashley sees the new cash injection into the club as his chance to balance the books more so its a more attractive propostition so he can sell.  Splashing out £4-5m wouldn't help this plan.

it would, ever heard of protecting your investment!  it's what sir john hall did when he bought the club outright!

the club's balance sheet for this season will be well into the black, as the books are already balanced due to us being in the premiership

I love this £40m figure that gets thrown about. Some people talk as if when the BBC league tables get updated to include our name, a man from the PL comes and hands over a big cheque "To: NUFC, 40 million pounds only..." :lol:

Come on nobody knows the true finances of the club, really. None of you know what our income is, what our spending is and it's importance to the financial situation of the club. It's all a big mystery and even if you were told the figures I doubt anybody on here could make head nor tail of it all.

I reckon we could spend £4 million on a player without completely crippling the club though. But that's just a hunch.

I love this £40m figure that gets thrown about. Some people talk as if when the BBC league tables get updated to include our name, a man from the PL comes and hands over a big cheque "To: NUFC, 40 million pounds only..." :lol:

;D

Come on nobody knows the true finances of the club, really. None of you know what our income is, what our spending is and it's importance to the financial situation of the club. It's all a big mystery and even if you were told the figures I doubt anybody on here could make head nor tail of it all.

I reckon we could spend £4 million on a player without crippling the club though.

This. Understandably, it's natural to speculate from the bits and pieces that we do procure/deductively reason, but it seems unfair to hang the club for not throwing money at this when we don't know the situation inside out.

It seems clear though, at least, that we don't trust the club/management to act in our best interests if many of you feel we can afford to secure Ben Arfa but are reluctant to spend for our survival!

Regardless of the outcome of this i'm quite happy and enthused that we've been front of the line for this transfer and spotted the potential move early, just like with Gosling, at least that part is doing alright and bodes well for future transfers imo.

it would, ever heard of protecting your investment!  it's what sir john hall did when he bought the club outright!

the club's balance sheet for this season will be well into the black, as the books are already balanced due to us being in the premiership

Ashley is totally different to SJH,  he is a gambler and i think he's quite happy to take his chances on the current players keeping us up and if he doesn't have to spend anything he'll be delighted.

Not going to get into an argument about balance sheets etc cos i don't know the figures plus i'm getting into an argument over something i actually agree with you about as i think we should release the funds and pay the transfer fee. (i just don't Ashley has any intention!)

Guest neesy111

Regardless of the outcome of this i'm quite happy and enthused that we've been front of the line for this transfer and spotted the potential move early, just like with Gosling, at least that part is doing alright and bodes well for future transfers imo.

this is where smokescreen's begin to appear!

I know, its actually more then £40m :)

Guest malandro

All businesses are run against projected income. Based on last season figures if we spend nothing more on players the club should, as Neesy says, have made a profit of £10m-£15m by the end of the financial year.

Guest neesy111

the minimum payment you get from the premiership is 30M pound, that is fact!

also depending on how much your team is on for tele this will increase (i.e. 500k a match I think it is), so NUFC will likely to make around 40M + prize money from the following season

Guest VegasToon

Where did the 4 million come from?  The only time I've seen it, is an article saying we did make a bid for 4 million, but it was rejected.

I reckon we could spend £4 million on a player without completely crippling the club though. But that's just a hunch.

Looking at the last financial report and adding the extra TV money (I believe its gone up since the last time we were in the Premiership) and a conservative estimate of the reduction in the wage bill will give you a good idea of where we are, its certainly not exact of course but not a total mystery either.

Don't kid yourself. It's about recruiting young players for the long term plan of selling them on for profit.

As part of "a five year plan to break even" no doubt

Guest neesy111

Don't kid yourself. It's about recruiting young players for the long term plan of selling them on for profit.

that break even, is to payback the debt so we are debt-free!  we will defo break even this season

that break even, is to payback the debt so we are debt-free!  we will defo break even this season

I doubt that, we're already over three years into his plan after all.