Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

seems odd that most people would be delighted if we signed Ben Arfa outright now, but would be against a loa deal which specified we would be obliged to sign him for a pre-agreed fee if we stay up this season

I think most would just be delighted to sign Ben Arfa regardless of contract details.  The details of the contract are only being talked about because they are preventing us from signing him.

:thup:

seems odd that most people would be delighted if we signed Ben Arfa outright now, but would be against a loa deal which specified we would be obliged to sign him for a pre-agreed fee if we stay up this season

I think most would just be delighted to sign Ben Arfa regardless of contract details.  The details of the contract are only being talked about because they are preventing us from signing him.

To be even more honest most have never seen the lad play, have seen a few clips of him on youtube or heard he's good on football manager and think we have to sign him now and should spent every penny on him straight away.

To be even more honest most have never seen the lad play, have seen a few clips of him on youtube or heard he's good on football manager and think we have to sign him now and should spent every penny on him straight away.

I've seen him play full games and think he's the type of player our team is crying out for.

I've seen him play full games and think he's the type of player our team is crying out for.

To be honest a midfielder, attacking or not, wouldn't be top of my list of players we need replacements for. That worries me more than whether Ben Arfa signs or not. He's a player who would no doubt play well at home and poor away so in a sense a luxury player which is possibly the last thing we need right now.

Putting a straw man up does nobody any favours Phil.

It's true though there has been 257 pages of arguing about a player probably 80% of the people on this thread have never seen play even once. It's crazy lol

He's a young player rated at a price we could ordinarily never dream of paying that plays in a position we seriously need to fill, and through good fortune he's unsettled, cheaper, available on some sort of loan on the right terms and seems keen to come and play for us.  Considering that on past form the alternative will be a final day signing of an underwhelming and over-priced player from the lower leagues who favours a position we've already got covered, I don't think it's surprising that people think we should grab the opportunity instead of fucking around.

Putting a straw man up does nobody any favours Phil.

It's true though there has been 257 pages of arguing about a player probably 80% of the people on this thread have never seen play even once. It's crazy lol

He's a young player rated at a price we could ordinarily never dream of paying that plays in a position we seriously need to fill, and through good fortune he's unsettled, cheaper, available on some sort of loan on the right terms and seems keen to come and play for us.  Considering that on past form the alternative will be a final day signing of an underwhelming and over-priced player from the lower leagues who favours a position we've already got covered, I don't think it's surprising that people thing we should grab the opportunity instead of f***ing around.

If the club has limited funds to spend of players which it does, and this would remove 5-8m worth of funds from the club plus add another top earner is that what the club needs right now ? And that doesn't mean to say I want the other option to be the crap final day purchases we've had of past.

If I thought the club would go out and buy players of a good quality for the other more important positions then fair enough but I know after being out this "big fee" that they won't.

Yes, it's exactly what the club needs right now. A player who can get the ball from midfield to Carroll so he can actually put it in the net isn't a luxury, it's absolutely crucial.  We need points to stay in this division and for that we need goals.

Yes, it's exactly what the club needs right now. A player who can get the ball from midfield to Carroll so he can actually put it in the net isn't a luxury, it's absolutely crucial.  We need points to stay in this division and for that we need goals.

Which Hughton won't play away from home, he'll play 4-5-1 with a strong tackling midfield. I'm not saying he's right I'm saying that's what'll happen he's more or less said it already and did it last year.

He rated at the same level as Benzema and Nasri coming through the OL youth system.

Which Hughton won't play away from home, he'll play 4-5-1 with a strong tackling midfield. I'm not saying he's right I'm saying that's what'll happen he's more or less said it already and did it last year.

We're going to be relying on our home games for the points to keep us up anyway!

To be honest a midfielder, attacking or not, wouldn't be top of my list of players we need replacements for. That worries me more than whether Ben Arfa signs or not. He's a player who would no doubt play well at home and poor away so in a sense a luxury player which is possibly the last thing we need right now.

A good central midfielder, attacking or not is number one for me on the list, Nolan will offer nothing against the top 15 teams in the league, Smith is terrible, Guthrire and Barton blow hot and cold, mostly cold and are both injury prone. All in all a terrible central midfield. A close second would be RB/Striker equally.

We're going to be relying on our home games for the points to keep us up anyway!

So would it not be helpful if we had a defence who could then stop teams scoring ?

Conspicuous by their absense at Old Trafford. Ben Arfa could easily have replaced Nolan in that match for all he gave us.

I'm not sure I'd call him a midfielder, at least not a typical one.  Ben Arfa reminds me as much of Bellamy as any of our more recent players.  He's got loads of pace and can dribble past players with the ball in the way that Dyer could when he was up for it.

A good central midfielder, attacking or not is number one for me on the list, Nolan will offer nothing against the top 15 teams in the league, Smith is terrible, Guthrire and Barton blow hot and cold, mostly cold and are both injury prone. All in all a terrible central midfield. A close second would be RB/Striker equally.

Nolan will play most if not all games after being handed the captaincy, of this I have no doubt. I'm not saying we don't need a new midfield, we do, but we also need someone who can put the ball into the net more often and a defence that can run after someone.

So would it not be helpful if we had a defence who could then stop teams scoring ?

They might have more of a chance of that if the ball wasn't in our final third for about 75% of the game thanks to not having an outlet from our immobile midfield.

This argument goes round and round but if you don't have a midfield that can stay up the pitch and keep a reasonable percentage of posession it puts untoward pressure on the defence. NO defence can survive that for 90min.

I just finished watching the 4-3 against Leeds in 2001/2002. What a game.

I know we don't have the players to do it this seaon ofcourse, but those goals were counter attacking football at its best. Maybe Ben Arfa could be our weapon to achieve this. But i just cannot see us buying him now :/

Conspicuous by their absense at Old Trafford. Ben Arfa could easily have replaced Nolan in that match for all he gave us.

Please don't begin to think I'm defending any of them, if we had my way I'd have got shot of Smith, Nolan, Guthrie and Barton in a heartbeat. All am saying is this is how or manager sees the team and plays them. Away from home he will play the likes of Smith and Nolan or Barton and Nolan nearly every game. At home Guthrie will get more of a chance. If Ben Arfa came then he would be taking over from Guthrie at home. Which yes is an improvement but I just see other positions more of a problem.  Scares the crap out of me how piss poor our right back is, any manager with any sense will attack that every game.