Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

ifa official concerned by football 'brutality'

By Tim Franks

BBC sports news correspondent

Fifa's Dr Michel d'Hooghe

D'Hooghe wants players to be punished retrospectively for bad tackles

Fifa's top medical official has said that football at the highest level is being disfigured by "criminality" and "brutality" on the pitch.

Dr Michel d'Hooghe told BBC Sport he is concerned by the number of serious injuries caused by dangerous tackles.

"Some players come on the field... simply to provoke injuries in other persons - to break a career," he said.

The Belgian added: "I have two eyes, where I can see what happens - how some acts are really criminal."

D'Hooghe is the chairman of Fifa's medical committee and one of the longest-serving members of the executive committee of football's world governing body.

He was speaking out following a recent series of serious injuries sustained by players after reckless challenges - but he made it clear he was not referring to any player specifically.

Theo van Seggelen, the general secretary of global players' union FIFPro, has defended his members.

"I don't believe there is a player in the world - and we have 50,000 members - who would deliberately try to injure someone else," said Van Seggelen. "That would not be acceptable."

D'Hooghe also said that if referees fail to spot bad tackles, then football authorities must be able to punish players retrospectively.

Newcastle United have expressed frustration that the Football Association, under current Fifa rules, cannot discipline Manchester City's Nigel de Jong, because match referee Martin Atkinson did not award a free-kick for his recent tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa. The challenge resulted in the Newcastle United player sustaining a broken leg.

D'Hooghe said if there is clear video evidence, an FA should still act, adding: "It's not because it's not been seen on the field that suddenly nothing happened."

Fifa has proved itself enormously resistant to the use of video technology to aid referees, but D'Hooghe insisted this could be less controversial than goal-line aids.

He says he intends to raise the issue at Fifa's next executive committee meeting in three weeks.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Outstanding! well the FA have to take notice of FIFA especially someone with this kind of clout.

I just hope none of our players break an opponents leg in the next game, that would be a right slap in the face.

Outstanding! well the FA have to take notice of FIFA especially someone with this kind of clout.

I just hope none of our players break an opponents leg in the next game, that would be a right slap in the face.

wouldn't be, if it was with intent then they'd get what they deserve.

Guest teepee

Superb interview from Danny Murphy on SSN criticising McCarthy, Pulis & Allardyce.

agreed - it doesn't apply to dejong however... and i also think that the players have a responsibility...

Guest BooBoo

According to the Telegraph today, HBA has snubbed De Jong's and Man City representatives' request to visit him in hospital.

I wouldn't purely on the basis it's took this long for him to sympathise, tell him to f**k the s**t!!

De Mongs jackies have only picthed up because the twat was dropped from the Dutch side and there is a bit of feeling brewing about dodgy tackles, other shitheads like him, Henry and Cattermole.

Guest Geordiesned

According to the Telegraph today, HBA has snubbed De Jong's and Man City representatives' request to visit him in hospital.

Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa has rejected Nigel de Jong's attempts to visit him in a Manchester hospital after suffering a double broken leg in a challenge with the Manchester City midfielder.

Newcastle winger Ben Arfa, on a season-long loan from Marseille, was due to leave hospital and return to his native France on Thursday to begin the first stage of his rehabilitation after breaking the tibia and fibia in his left leg.

De Jong, dropped from the Holland squad by coach Bert van Marwijk in the wake of the incident with Ben Arfa during City's 2-1 victory at Eastlands on Sunday, is understood to be distraught by the 23-year-old's injury and had told City officials that he was keen to visit the Frenchman to express his regret.

But on making contact with Ben Arfa's representatives, it was made clear to City that the player did not wish to meet De Jong or any representative from the club.

Ben Arfa's surgery has been described as a 'complete success' by Newcastle and the club are hopeful that he will be able to return to St James' Park later in the season.

Gordon Taylor, the Professional Footballers' Association chief executive, has delivered a thinly-veiled criticism of De Jong by reminding the Dutchman that he has a 'duty of care' to his opponents.

Taylor said: "Nigel is a very committed player. He goes in strongly in a physical contact sport. However, you also have a duty of care to your fellow professionals.

"We're losing 50 players a year through injury and I don't want any of those leaving the game because another player was careless."

City manager Roberto Mancini has admitted that the club's owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan, expects his £350 million investment on players to be rewarded with Champions League football at the end of this season.

Mancini said: "The owner will be happy with third or fourth place this season because the target is the Champions League.

"But if the big clubs start to make life difficult for themselves, then who knows [how high we can finish]?"

Still can't get around that De Jong hasn't gone out to the press to even pretend he's sorry.

I suspect he's been advised against that by lawyers. If Ben Arfa's career is over, he could get sued, with an apology used as evidence.

Still can't get around that De Jong hasn't gone out to the press to even pretend he's sorry.

I suspect he's been advised against that by lawyers. If Ben Arfa's career is over, he could get sued, with an apology used as evidence.

I thought it was the opposite, demonstrable remorse would weigh in his favor (that's how it's reported in Spain at least).

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ben Arfa's surgery has been described as a 'complete success' by Newcastle and the club are hopeful that he will be able to return to St James' Park later in the season.

No one else panic at this bit? I can just see it now - Mike Ashley cackling manically as he watches Ben Arfa's legs transplanted onto Shola Ameobi.

No one else panic at this bit? I can just see it now - Mike Ashley cackling manically as he watches Ben Arfa's legs transplanted onto Shola Ameobi.

Ashley "its alive Decker,!  ALIIIIIIIIVE"

"Yes master"

FrankinShola "grrrrrrr"

I thought it was the opposite, demonstrable remorse would weigh in his favor (that's how it's reported in Spain at least).

Your courts must operate in a different way.

Insurance companies over here invariably advise against apologising. The only exceptions would be where your guilt was already clearly established and it might work (slightly) in your favour.

Here it's pretty common to issue a verifiable apology as soon as possible (too late and it works against you, as is seen as insincere and motivated only to mitigate punishment). I'm no law expert though, and you might be right that it's only done when guilt is beyond doubt.

An apology (or lack of) actually carries weight on a penal sentence here. The whole point of our system is rehabilitation so remorse plays a part. And it's observed in footballing courts.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

Et à la question : « Hatem envisagerait-il de recevoir de Jong ? », Michel Ouazine répond : « J'en ai parlé avec Hatem, ça ne pose aucun problème ! Mais ce qui se dit depuis ce matin est inadmissible. Je ne sais pas qui tire profit de ce mensonge, mais ce n'est pas normal ».

http://www.le10sport.com/Football/Ben-Arfa-accepte-de-recevoir-de-Jong-081040137.html?c=3439

Et à la question : « Hatem envisagerait-il de recevoir de Jong ? », Michel Ouazine répond : « J'en ai parlé avec Hatem, ça ne pose aucun problème ! Mais ce qui se dit depuis ce matin est inadmissible. Je ne sais pas qui tire profit de ce mensonge, mais ce n'est pas normal ».

http://www.le10sport.com/Football/Ben-Arfa-accepte-de-recevoir-de-Jong-081040137.html?c=3439

Basically they are saying the Mail have made this up and Ben Arfa hasn't refused to see De Jong or anyone from City and that they never tried to see him and that his agent will release a statement this afternoon to clarify this.