Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Here it's pretty common to issue a verifiable apology as soon as possible (too late and it works against you, as is seen as insincere and motivated only to mitigate punishment). I'm no law expert though, and you might be right that it's only done when guilt is beyond doubt.

An apology (or lack of) actually carries weight on a penal sentence here. The whole point of our system is rehabilitation so remorse plays a part. And it's observed in footballing courts.

Our system tends to be very adversarial - ie one side will put the worst possible interpretation on statements and events and the other side will respond in an equally extreme way. Both sides will be talking crap a lot of the time, but that's the game. The court then has to make sense of it.

If you try to be a nice guy and move into the middle ground without being forced there, you'll be taken advantage of. That's the reasoning anyway.

Not trying to paint our legal system as a lovey-dovey thing, far from that :lol:

Just that remorse is a mitigating factor when sentencing. So in football the first thing players do (like Ufjalusi did), is very publicly apologise before the FA issues the ban.

Here it's pretty common to issue a verifiable apology as soon as possible (too late and it works against you, as is seen as insincere and motivated only to mitigate punishment). I'm no law expert though, and you might be right that it's only done when guilt is beyond doubt.

An apology (or lack of) actually carries weight on a penal sentence here. The whole point of our system is rehabilitation so remorse plays a part. And it's observed in footballing courts.

Our system tends to be very adversarial - ie one side will put the worst possible interpretation on statements and events and the other side will respond in an equally extreme way. Both sides will be talking crap a lot of the time, but that's the game. The court then has to make sense of it.

If you try to be a nice guy and move into the middle ground without being forced there, you'll be taken advantage of. That's the reasoning anyway.

thats the way throughout the world, however when it comes to sentencing and beyond (parole, early release etc) things like admittal of guilt,remorse and contrition are all big factors in the UK.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6434796,00.html

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton admits he does not know whether Hatem Ben Arfa will remain at the club after his return from injury.

The French winger, who is on a season-long loan at St James' Park from Marseille, suffered a horrendous double leg break against Manchester City last weekend following a challenge from Nigel de Jong.

Ben Arfa, 23, has undergone surgery but is expected to be sidelined for six months with the injury, meaning he will be unable to make the 25 appearances necessary to trigger an automatic move to the Magpies.

Boss Hughton does not know what the future holds for the winger but thinks it is going to be a tough recovery from hereon in.

"I don't know what is going to happen in terms of his transfer," Hughton told the Newcastle Journal.

Discuss

"It is something for the various parties to discuss when the time is right. At the moment all we can concentrate on is making sure we get him back to full fitness.

"The hard work starts now. He has had the operation and now he has to start thinking about rehab. This is the really tough time for any player who suffers a serious injury.

"Most do at some point in their careers, most will have a long-term injury but it is sad it has happened so early in his.

"It is mentally tough when you know you have such a long time without playing football.

"That's the hardest part of a serious injury and that is what Hatem has got ahead of him."

Ben Arfa had looked like an excellent signing by Hughton until his injury, with the flair player netting a superb long-range effort against Everton in September.

Anyone hear Kevin Davies on the radio just now. Said something along the lines of 'Them kind of tackles happen all the time, most players just get up and get on with it'. Moron

Tbf Ben Arfa probably could have played on with a double leg break, pansy foreigners!

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton admits he does not know whether Hatem Ben Arfa will remain at the club after his return from injury.

The French winger, who is on a season-long loan at St James' Park from Marseille, suffered a horrendous double leg break against Manchester City last weekend following a challenge from Nigel de Jong.

Ben Arfa, 23, has undergone surgery but is expected to be sidelined for six months with the injury, meaning he will be unable to make the 25 appearances necessary to trigger an automatic move to the Magpies.

Boss Hughton does not know what the future holds for the winger but thinks it is going to be a tough recovery from hereon in.

"I don't know what is going to happen in terms of his transfer," Hughton told the Newcastle Journal.

Discuss

"It is something for the various parties to discuss when the time is right. At the moment all we can concentrate on is making sure we get him back to full fitness.

"The hard work starts now. He has had the operation and now he has to start thinking about rehab. This is the really tough time for any player who suffers a serious injury.

"Most do at some point in their careers, most will have a long-term injury but it is sad it has happened so early in his.

"It is mentally tough when you know you have such a long time without playing football.

"That's the hardest part of a serious injury and that is what Hatem has got ahead of him."

Ben Arfa had looked like an excellent signing by Hughton until his injury, with the flair player netting a superb long-range effort against Everton in September.

I guess to me that is the worst part of this episode (well aside from losing him for almost the whole season). With him playing, he was 90% ours, the 25 games clause was to protect Marseille, but it also works in our favour. Given how good he was and the impact he would have had on our team, I could not see Hughton refusing to play him for 25 games just to avoid buying him . But now everything is up in the air and it gives any of a variety of parties the perfect excuse not to go through with the deal. I would not be surprised if we've seen the last of HBA in a black and white shirt

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

Discuss

I guess to me that is the worst part of this episode (well aside from losing him for almost the whole season). With him playing, he was 90% ours, the 25 games clause was to protect Marseille, but it also works in our favour. Given how good he was and the impact he would have had on our team, I could not see Hughton refusing to play him for 25 games just to avoid buying him . But now everything is up in the air and it gives any of a variety of parties the perfect excuse not to go through with the deal. I would not be surprised if we've seen the last of HBA in a black and white shirt

:nope: hatem is an emotional

seen as he was greeted upon arrival in Newcastle

and argues that received after the tackle by the Cro-Magnon man

do not worry it will be next season

he found his club  :snod:

Guest GAMMELL

Discuss

O0

Anyone hear Kevin Davies on the radio just now. Said something along the lines of 'Them kind of tackles happen all the time, most players just get up and get on with it'. Moron

I'd just like to remind everyone that the neanderthal saying this is in the England squad. I despair. FFS.

Discuss

O0

That's how I'd see it. It may well have the effect of bonding Ben Arfa with the club, and the team as a whole bonding closer together. Long-term, some good may come of it.

It may well be the opposite case with Man City. Not all their players will be happy at what's happened here.

It's Kompany, he wears 4. De Jong wears 34.

I knew De Jong was 34 and thought Kompany was also in the 30's, you're right though, Kompany is 4.

Kompany took 4 after Onuoha went to the mackems, he was a high number last season.

If anything, the broken leg might stop us being pipped to his signature. He'll not join Man City, Spurs now have VdV, Arsene Wenger saw how Eduardo was affected and I doubt Chelsea or Man United would be in. Clubs that were already undecided will see it as too big of a risk. Plus, Ben Arfa is now another victim of falling in love with the city/fans.

If anything, the broken leg might stop us being pipped to his signature. He'll not join Man City, Spurs now have VdV, Arsene Wenger saw how Eduardo was affected and I doubt Chelsea or Man United would be in. Clubs that were already undecided will see it as too big of a risk. Plus, Ben Arfa is now another victim of falling in love with the city/fans.

If Wenger is put off because he comes back the same way as Eduardo, why do we want him? Eduardo was gash after his injury