Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

"aiming for the title "

in most league years that would be silly comment, but this league is mental.  It feels more wide open this year, everyon is beating everyone else.

IF we are 5th or higher by dec 1st, then we should go for it....given couple of quality additions in jan.

???

Guest firetotheworks

"aiming for the title "

in most league years that would be silly comment, but this league is mental.  It feels more wide open this year, everyon is beating everyone else.

IF we are 5th or higher by dec 1st, then we should go for it....given couple of quality additions in jan.

Fucking hell, you do narf talk some shite.

Guest Stephen927

He isn't saying we have a realistic chance. If we're 5th by say February and not too far away from the top places, why not push on? It's all pie in the sky stuff, but we shouldn't just settle for safety if our league position suggests the team is better than that. I don't think we should sign players that would break the bank and our wage budget, but it should at least mean we have a different mindset in games.

He isn't saying we have a realistic chance. If we're 5th by say February and not too far away from the top places, why not push on? It's all pie in the sky stuff, but we shouldn't just settle for safety if our league position suggests the team is better than that. I don't think we should sign players that would break the bank and our wage budget, but it should at least mean we have a different mindset in games.

Why on earth wouldn't you push on? If youre in a good position at that time of the year whats the sense in dropping off and becoming complacent, keep trying to win?

Guest Stephen927

Why on earth wouldn't you push on? If youre in a good position at that time of the year whats the sense in dropping off and becoming complacent, keep trying to win?

Exactly..

I don't think we'll be in that position but nothing wrong with a bit of optimism from the lad.

Can you imagine if this was the other way round with Sunderland being 5th, and discussing being 5th in Feb and 'pushing on' on SMB? Everyone on here would piss themselves. Couple of injuries to us (any of Colo, Enrique, Tiote, Carroll) and we would really struggle to produce the form we're currently enjoying.

I find the term 'pushing on' a bit ridiculous actually. If you are winning enough games to get yourself into a position to potentially win the league, keep playing the same way and you will keep winning. I dont see much of a difference in the mentalities of try to win every game, and trying to win the league. Its just whether you have the ability to do so that matters.

Guest firetotheworks

If we're 5th by January I'll drink the regurgitated piss that Messi drank after Nolan's 8th goal of the season.

Guest firetotheworks

If we're 5th by January I'll drink the regurgitated piss that Messi drank after Nolan's 8th goal of the season.

quoted just in case..........

Ahee ha hoo....nah.

"aiming for the title "

RTG will have a field day with that comment

"aiming for the title "

hahahahahaha! Fuck off you! You of all people.

I can see Ben Arfa's future being not dissimilar to his past - a floating position within the team, put where he's needed when he's needed (replacing any one of Jonas (when more quality's needed), Ameobi (obvious enough), Barton (when more attacking directness is required) or Nolan (guy needs a rest, sometimes...)) and withdrawn when he sometimes isn't. Not sure how he'll like that... But if he's maturing, which is plausible, his overall qualities might improve and negate the others' advantages meaning he can play more (tracking back, consistency etc.), and/or he might buy into our musketeer routine and appreciate the team's success and what role he has in it, so it could work out.

Either that or... Reinvent the 3-5-2..? Willoccini+Enrique, Enrique drifting left to assist Jonas' semi-wingback duties while Barton is entrusted even more with his measured wingback role, as was particularly the case at Arsenal (his tenacity and medium-long passing skills brought to the fore ahead of his lack of pace/trickery). Meanwhile, Tiote squeezes all the wanker 4-1-3-2 formations, and Nolan and Ben Arfa develop an understanding and do what they see fit in defence and attack... the latter probably more often drifting wide when attacking to make up for our reduced wing presence. And still got both the blunderbusses up front to wreck havoc, pressing from the front - one or the other also floating back and forth, switching positions with Nolan and/or Ben Arfa as has already been happening lately (we haven't really been playing a 4-4-2 lately by conventional standards).

Thing with unconventional tactics is they need great team spirit, communication, organisation and a certain amount of intelligence to be successfully implemented... which we actually have.

Well, there isn't enough creative thought in the world sometimes...

"aiming for the title "

Time to apply this rule:

:tiote:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

"aiming for the title "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:spit:

I reckon if we're fifth by January, we should just pack it in and hope that the bottom teams don't do enough to catch up with us and we can sneak 17th.

If we're still fifth and mathematically safe we could forfeit every remaining game and reward the lads with a nice long holiday.

I reckon if we're fifth by January, we should just pack it in and hope that the bottom teams don't do enough to catch up with us and we can sneak 17th.

If we're still fifth and mathematically safe we could forfeit every remaining game and reward the lads with a nice long holiday.

If we are 5th by then.. then its only fair that we push on and win the league

:lol: