Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

I find that impossible to believe.

It had better be bollocks.

Nee stink without shite mate. :lol:

It's been McLaren nailed on, Rafa nailed on, Martinez nailed on today.

Tomorrow it'll be three more randomly chosen names.

Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham.

Roberto Martinez is the bookies favourite. The fuck!? :lol:

He's a record of playing fairly attractive football, buying players who increase in value, Premiership experience and generally pretty likable. Be an interesting move.

Guest gggg

Roberto Martinez is the bookies favourite. The fuck!? :lol:

He's a record of playing fairly attractive football, buying players who increase in value, Premiership experience and generally pretty likable. Be an interesting move.

And getting worse results than Steve Bruce.

Roberto Martinez is the bookies favourite. The f***!? :lol:

And getting worse results than Steve Bruce.

Come on, he hasnt got any quality to work with at Wigan. Did great at Swansea. Could be a great manager. Good move by Villa if they manage to get him.  Hopefully this doesn't mean Zog is set for Villa...

Guest WashyGeordie

Hmm, what odds on him taking N'Zogbia there with him to replace Young?

They aren't a Champions League club though.

Catch 22.  :cheesy:

Guest gggg

He had the same quality Steve Bruce had and took them from a comfortable position to lucky to survive. He should be over performing with them like Coyle has done at Bolton if he's showing signs of being a great manager but he was about 15 minutes away from relegating them and being out of work. Now he's getting a promotion for it?

Lots of managers do well in the lower leagues but don't cut it in the PL. He could be one of them just as much as he could be a great manager based on his CV. A big gamble based on not very much so far by Villa.

Just heard on the radio that Villa have been given permission to talk to him.

Yep, in The Guardian sports section this morning as well. Heard a couple of pundits suggest he would be a good man for the job last week as well.

Martinez leaving would surely increase the likelihood of N'Zogbia being available. He might even cite it as a reason to put in a transfer request.

The complication is Martinez would no doubt want him at Villa. Wouldn't surprise me if he's even mentioned in the negotiations, particularly if Ashley Young is to be sold.

Still think he would choose us ahead of another similar level club like Villa. Especially if the sell Young and/or Downing.

Why?

Because he's been reported to still have an attachment to Newcastle/friends here etc, and we have Ben Arfa, Tiote and Cabaye to be his French-speaking mates.

Personally I think a bit too much emphasis is placed on the whole 'he has mates/international colleagues here' thing. It might help a little but players ultimately look after themselves.

I've thought the same whilst reading the Gervinho thread. Clutching at straws IMO.

Personally I think a bit too much emphasis is placed on the whole 'he has mates/international colleagues here' thing. It might help a little but players ultimately look after themselves.

I've thought the same whilst reading the Gervinho thread. Clutching at straws IMO.

With Gervinho I agree with you, as he might have the likes of Arsenal and Man City to choose from.

But I don't see any reason why N'Zogbia would choose to join someone like Villa instead of coming here, unless he purely picks his new club based on who offers the highest wages. They're just as average as us, but without the stadium, fans and past history with him that we have.

I don't disagree that players usually look after themselves, I just think in this individual case we have a head start over similar clubs.