Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

When you think this can not get better.., Martinez turn them down... Villa is a laughing stock..,

He hasn't "turned us down", we haven't even spoken to him, let alone offered him the job.

Read this:

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2374417,00.html

Of course he turned you down, you made an official approach and he decided to stay at Wigan.

He said he wanted to stick to his commitment to Wigan and didn't want to speak to us. Who knows if he'd even have been offered the job?

Weird. I wonder what they couldn't offer Martinez to convince him to leave Wigan. ???

Unless they just weren't impressed by him.

I still think manager's are being told sell before you buy...and even then it could be a case of being told to sell and not having the whole lot to spend. Seems weird Benitez and now Martinez would turn them down.

What makes you think that?

We spent the best part of 30m in the January transfer window, having been told by the media that we had no money all season up till that point.

The simple fact is, we asked for permission to speak to Martinez, Wigan said ok, Martinez had agreed verbally a new contract with them, and stuck to it.

Nobody else has turned us down, beyond that nonsense on SSN about Benitez the other day.

That £30m was just the Milner money pretty much plus an extra few million.

When you think this can not get better.., Martinez turn them down... Villa is a laughing stock..,

He hasn't "turned us down", we haven't even spoken to him, let alone offered him the job.

Read this:

Of course he turned you down, you made an official approach and he decided to stay at Wigan.

He said he wanted to stick to his commitment to Wigan and didn't want to speak to us. Who knows if he'd even have been offered the job?

I think you're clutching at straws on this one.

You wanted to speak to him about the managers job and he made it clear he wasn't interested.

Weird. I wonder what they couldn't offer Martinez to convince him to leave Wigan. ???

Unless they just weren't impressed by him.

I still think manager's are being told sell before you buy...and even then it could be a case of being told to sell and not having the whole lot to spend. Seems weird Benitez and now Martinez would turn them down.

What makes you think that?

We spent the best part of 30m in the January transfer window, having been told by the media that we had no money all season up till that point.

The simple fact is, we asked for permission to speak to Martinez, Wigan said ok, Martinez had agreed verbally a new contract with them, and stuck to it.

Nobody else has turned us down, beyond that nonsense on SSN about Benitez the other day.

That £30m was just the Milner money pretty much plus an extra few million.

So even if it was just the Milner money (which was 16m after Ireland) there's another 14m on top of that.

Lerner has been superb in providing money. His failings are naivety in trying to be Mr Nice Guy when he's looking for managers. They did this last August, too.

Read this:

What did they want to speak to him about like, the weather?

Of course he turned youd down, you asked to speak to him , he said no :lol:

Obviosly not because he doesn't find it an attractive club like, because it is.

Read this:

You wanted to speak to him about the managers job and he made it clear he wasn't interested.

I know.

We wrote to Wigan ten days ago for permission. Who knows how many other people we're talking to? You make it sound like we offered him the job, when we didn't.

He wants to stay at Wigan, fair play to him. To be honest, it's a bullet dodged in any case, as he should never even have been under consideration.

Martinez seems like a decent manager to be fair, I can't see a massive manager heading to Villa at the moment, despite still being an attractive job.

Neither O'Neil or Houiller were massive names.

Read this:

I know.

We wrote to Wigan ten days ago for permission. Who knows how many other people we're talking to? You make it sound like we offered him the job, when we didn't.

He wants to stay at Wigan, fair play to him. To be honest, it's a bullet dodged in any case, as he should never even have been under consideration.

Agree there, Brummie. Don't think Martinez is much cop to be honest. I think a good manager will always shine through even though he might not have the best team in the world to pick from. Coyle would be a good example - when managing Burnley.

Was fully expecting Jol to be spoken to by Villa before he got the Fulham job.

I'm surprised Martinez turned down the job, he might never get another offer from a big club. Happy though as I think he might have bid for Zog if he'd went to Villa.

I'm surprised Martinez turned down the job, he might never get another offer from a big club.

His profile is big enough for him not to worry too much about turning down Aston Villa.

Hardly the most appealing club, Villa. 

N'Zogbia more likely to stay at Wigan now?

I wouldn't say so.  He wanted to leave before Houllier left Villa.

I thought Martinez would have made a bid for Zog, if he took the job at Villa.

I'm surprised Martinez turned down the job, he might never get another offer from a big club.

His profile is big enough for him not to worry too much about turning down Aston Villa.

Hardly the most appealing club, Villa. 

That is bollocks.Villa are a huge club,I'm surprised Martinez would rather be at Wigan,but maybe the Bent money has taken any transfer pot any new manager,or Houllier if he'd stayed,away.

Villa are dull.  They have a squad that is lacking any real potential to drive on.  They're about to sell one of their better prospects and it doesn't appear like they have the spending power to compete with the likes of Tottenham and Liverpool for the 5th/6th places they should probably go for.

Uninspiring.

Villa are dull.  They have a squad that is lacking any real potential to drive on.  They're about to sell one of their better prospects and it doesn't appear like they have the spending power to compete with the likes of Tottenham and Liverpool for the 5th/6th places they should probably go for.

Uninspiring.

Compared to Wigan they are the equivalent of Real Madrid.

Read this:

I know.

What a pathetich lie this is what I hate about football. How some fans can be blind. Yes you wanted him yes you offered him the job admit it! If what you said was right you could have said it yesterday or even earlier. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reports indicate that Villa made a move to appoint Martinez, not merely asked if he was interested.

Obviously, and anyway, they're both the same thing basically.

They aren't going to say "Are you interested? Tough, we don't want you!".

Funnily enough, that's exactly what happened to me today.  Not necessarily a definitive 'we want you', but there is nothing to say that Villa didn't merely ask if he was interested.

Media comments indicate that they were pretty fixed on getting Martinez though. 

Read this:

I know.

What a pathetich lie this is what I hate about football. How some fans can be blind. Yes you wanted him yes you offered him the job admit it! If what you said was right you could have said it yesterday or even earlier. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:lol: