Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Very surprised by this. Don't feel any desire to laugh at Villa fans to be honest, just surprise and a wonder at what must have gone on behind the scenes.

Why they didn't feel too bad at having a chorttle at our expense ?

Good for Villa.

Better it happens now then during the season-- and everyone could see it coming.

Sell Milner; bring in Ireland; hire a decent manager and they'll be in better shape then they would've been with MON.  They'll probably land Hitzfeld.

Hitzfeld won't manage another club. Switzerland is his last job.

Very surprised by this. Don't feel any desire to laugh at Villa fans to be honest, just surprise and a wonder at what must have gone on behind the scenes.

Why they didn't feel too bad at having a chorttle at our expense ?

Bit more than a chortle! They celebrated like they'd just won the PL. Bit different to having a laugh/taking the piss.

Fuking mental, poor Villa.

Can we have him please?

I was going to ask if you were joking, but I've just had to remind myself how far we've fallen since I was pointing out o'Neill's was totally unproven as a top quality manager. I do think he's someone who can consistently achieve that top ten/UEFA hole with virtually any club, and that combined with his particular style as a manager mean it might not actually be a bad move for us just now. Still don't like him and don't much want him, though - would be happier to press on with Hughton.

Hope the vile c*** supporters are devastated.

Same!

Been waiting for something to laugh at Villa about since the horrible c***s acted like small time c***s about us going down. Hopefully they flog all of their best players and plummet.

Don't count your chickens - unless Lerner's lost interest, which he hasn't really so far as I'm aware, I'd be over the moon if I were them and this could be the best thing to happen to them since o'Neill was appointed. The timing's pretty horrible of course... but nevertheless.

Why the f*** would you be over the moon ? Are you insane ? The bloke totally transformed a strugglling prem club into one of the top clubs 8 clubs in the country, there's nothing better out there available for Villa right now.

Randy Lerner transformed them. Any manager in the league could take a team that changes from one of the lowest budgets in the league to one of the highest in Europe from the bottom half to the top. He's still finished no higher than every Villa manager I can remember and looked clueless has to how to take them further. What is this nonsense about Liverpool ffs  :lol: His tactics and transfer policy (What is it, 3 foreign signings ever?) belong in the bottom half.

He barely bought anyone as he was brought in just before or after the window had closed, took over a team that had finished just above the relegation spots and suddenly they were top half of the table. He's worked wonders with the likes of Agbolohar (sp?), Milner and Barry. Lerner had a part to play in all that of course, but it's his manager that's transformed thm. As a side note, Lerner's Cleveland Browns have been one of the worst franchises in the NFL for as long as Lerner has been in charge, he's not thought of in great light on this side of the pond.

Lerner is the man who has done most to transform the club, far far more than MON has.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is talking nonsense, I'm afraid.

Or appreciates the influence on the team on the pitch better. Look at us, we were backed to the hilt and probably beyond our means by Freddy, put a crappy manager in there like Souness and your strggling at the wrong end of the table. Have fun without O'Neill, you'll miss him more than you think, if Lerner doesn't get the appointment right, and trust me he doesn't always hit a home run with his appointments at other organisations.

Look, who appointed o'Neill? And why did he do it? Because Lerner thought he was the best guy to approach at the time, and it wasn't too bad a move. I'd say his biggest mistake - especially if the money really has dried up, which I'm under the impression it hasn't - was showing too much loyalty when he first got disturbed by o'Neill's inadequacies, especially in spending the huge pots of money Lerner was apparently positively asking him to spend. Appointing managers isn't easy, but Lerner's short track record suggest he'll go about it in the right way, and even more to the point, everything else he'll do will be totally conducive to the success of that appointee. Our failure, along with that of other clubs/chairmen, is not so much found in picking the wrong CV from the application pile as from asking any new/prospective manager to work in f***ing nightmarish conditions.

Moyes should go for it if he gets offered the chance, that's someone who deserves a chance at the big time and I think it could be a nice match. I don't know enough about the manager market and Aston Villa's position just now, so I don't know if they could make an obviously better appointment.

Moyes has got better things going on at Everton, Villa would be a sideways step in my book (apart from having some money to spend, not alot).

I'd disagree, with money being the single biggest factor. Like I say, I'm unclear about Villa's financial position just now, but I'm pretty confident they've still got a lot more around than Everton and even more flexibility. Also, as I was sort of saying about, the general atmosphere that Lerner has created seems to be great - intelligent management and ambition. Unless things will change at Everton any time soon, I think Moyes has taken them as far as anyone could, given the rest of the league (Man City, Spurs, Villa all spending big alongside the usual). I think he's shown he can spend big money, little money, can be tactically flexible, get the best out of players and generally keep all this going in very difficult circumstances for many many years. If Everton hadn't been in a mess overall, I think he would have had them in the Champions' League at least twice, and obviously quite probably far more afterwards as once you're in it's hard to get you out. Only bad fortune saw them drawn against a good Spanish team which was able to beat his unimproved team of over-achievers in the qualifiers after they finished 4th a few years back.

LOL Lerner did not appoint O'Neill, it was the guy before him Ellis.

Oh and Moyes, the big time ??? You're kidding right ? Everton are just as big if not bigger than Villa, why would he move from the place where he's built up that is short on cash, to another that he hasn't built up, that are also short on cash.

It was all pre-takeover negotiations. o'Neill joined on the condition that Lerner was coming, and Lerner told Ellis who to appoint.

'Chance at the big time', I think he'd have a chance at the big time with Aston Villa, and that he has no chance with Everton. In pure prestige terms, I'd agree Villa would be a sideways step at best - probably slightly backwards in my view, even. But it doesn't have to stay that way forever and I know which club is more likely to add to its reputation in the vaguely near future.

I don't think it's true about the cash, I also think what money they have is more fluid, will be more forthcoming and more positively applied.

Can we have him please?

I was going to ask if you were joking, but I've just had to remind myself how far we've fallen since I was pointing out o'Neill's was totally unproven as a top quality manager. I do think he's someone who can consistently achieve that top ten/UEFA hole with virtually any club, and that combined with his particular style as a manager mean it might not actually be a bad move for us just now. Still don't like him and don't much want him, though - would be happier to press on with Hughton.

Same!

Been waiting for something to laugh at Villa about since the horrible c***s acted like small time c***s about us going down. Hopefully they flog all of their best players and plummet.

Don't count your chickens - unless Lerner's lost interest, which he hasn't really so far as I'm aware, I'd be over the moon if I were them and this could be the best thing to happen to them since o'Neill was appointed. The timing's pretty horrible of course... but nevertheless.

Why the f*** would you be over the moon ? Are you insane ? The bloke totally transformed a strugglling prem club into one of the top clubs 8 clubs in the country, there's nothing better out there available for Villa right now.

Randy Lerner transformed them. Any manager in the league could take a team that changes from one of the lowest budgets in the league to one of the highest in Europe from the bottom half to the top. He's still finished no higher than every Villa manager I can remember and looked clueless has to how to take them further. What is this nonsense about Liverpool ffs  :lol: His tactics and transfer policy (What is it, 3 foreign signings ever?) belong in the bottom half.

He barely bought anyone as he was brought in just before or after the window had closed, took over a team that had finished just above the relegation spots and suddenly they were top half of the table. He's worked wonders with the likes of Agbolohar (sp?), Milner and Barry. Lerner had a part to play in all that of course, but it's his manager that's transformed thm. As a side note, Lerner's Cleveland Browns have been one of the worst franchises in the NFL for as long as Lerner has been in charge, he's not thought of in great light on this side of the pond.

Lerner is the man who has done most to transform the club, far far more than MON has.

Or appreciates the influence on the team on the pitch better. Look at us, we were backed to the hilt and probably beyond our means by Freddy, put a crappy manager in there like Souness and your strggling at the wrong end of the table. Have fun without O'Neill, you'll miss him more than you think, if Lerner doesn't get the appointment right, and trust me he doesn't always hit a home run with his appointments at other organisations.

Look, who appointed o'Neill? And why did he do it? Because Lerner thought he was the best guy to approach at the time, and it wasn't too bad a move. I'd say his biggest mistake - especially if the money really has dried up, which I'm under the impression it hasn't - was showing too much loyalty when he first got disturbed by o'Neill's inadequacies, especially in spending the huge pots of money Lerner was apparently positively asking him to spend. Appointing managers isn't easy, but Lerner's short track record suggest he'll go about it in the right way, and even more to the point, everything else he'll do will be totally conducive to the success of that appointee. Our failure, along with that of other clubs/chairmen, is not so much found in picking the wrong CV from the application pile as from asking any new/prospective manager to work in f***ing nightmarish conditions.

Moyes should go for it if he gets offered the chance, that's someone who deserves a chance at the big time and I think it could be a nice match. I don't know enough about the manager market and Aston Villa's position just now, so I don't know if they could make an obviously better appointment.

Moyes has got better things going on at Everton, Villa would be a sideways step in my book (apart from having some money to spend, not alot).

I'd disagree, with money being the single biggest factor. Like I say, I'm unclear about Villa's financial position just now, but I'm pretty confident they've still got a lot more around than Everton and even more flexibility. Also, as I was sort of saying about, the general atmosphere that Lerner has created seems to be great - intelligent management and ambition. Unless things will change at Everton any time soon, I think Moyes has taken them as far as anyone could, given the rest of the league (Man City, Spurs, Villa all spending big alongside the usual). I think he's shown he can spend big money, little money, can be tactically flexible, get the best out of players and generally keep all this going in very difficult circumstances for many many years. If Everton hadn't been in a mess overall, I think he would have had them in the Champions' League at least twice, and obviously quite probably far more afterwards as once you're in it's hard to get you out. Only bad fortune saw them drawn against a good Spanish team which was able to beat his unimproved team of over-achievers in the qualifiers after they finished 4th a few years back.

Oh and Moyes, the big time ??? You're kidding right ? Everton are just as big if not bigger than Villa, why would he move from the place where he's built up that is short on cash, to another that he hasn't built up, that are also short on cash.

It was all pre-takeover negotiations. o'Neill joined on the condition that Lerner was coming, and Lerner told Ellis who to appoint.

'Chance at the big time', I think he'd have a chance at the big time with Aston Villa, and that he has no chance with Everton. In pure prestige terms, I'd agree Villa would be a sideways step at best - probably slightly backwards in my view, even. But it doesn't have to stay that way forever and I know which club is more likely to add to its reputation in the vaguely near future.

I don't think it's true about the cash, I also think what money they have is more fluid, will be more forthcoming and more positively applied.

Do you honestly think Lerner had any clue who the hell Martin O'Neill was ? Ellis made the appointment. End of story. Lerner can take credit but he didn't make the appointment nor would know anything about him. Lerner knew and knows nothing about "soccer" trust me, he got rid of the hated Ellis and put up some money for transfers, he's also stayed out of the limelight, that's all gone down well, but his manager and the previous regime have made his job easy. Now's his test, he's got to get this appointment right, I hope he fucks it up :) But whatever he needs to get some advice from some experts because he can't make that decision himself.

Everton have just as much chance of becoming more fluid than Villa, the signs are clearly there that the money at Villa has dried up.

Can we have him please?

Same!

Might agree with you on Everton, but you're wrong about O'Neill - his appointment was OK'd by Lerner as a manager was needed there and then and the takeover was still going through. I think that Lerner has more potential than Bill Kenwright as a chairman, but it would take more than that for Moyes to move.

I think there may be some parallel between Redknapp and O'Neill here. Both managers were used to running the show, both managers had been indulged by their chairmen but when Lerner said enough, it looks like MON may have bolted. Levy did likewise and Redknapp may grumble but he gets on with it. Villa's wages/turnover ration ain't great.

For me their fans behaved ridiculously and without any class what so ever that day. Call me bitter but if it was at SJP, would those in SJH Corner take the time to create several banners? Would those in the Gallowgate stay behind to simply goad them like those in the Holte end did? Doubt it.

If there's any club I want to see fail other than Sunderland this season, it's Aston Villa. 

Bizzare decision like, if he's left due to him doubting weather he could take the club any further then surely he'd have left at the end of last season. Surely there's something gone on behind closed doors.  Hope they dont take Hughton either, if anything would condemn us to relegation, it would be him fucking off now. Dont think he'd leave even if approached though tbh.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Southgate maybe as an outsider?

Outsider as in muthfucker from outerspace?

EDIT:

I have now thought, are there any 'fresh' managers out there? Remember when MoN was a young up and coming manager? Strachan was one too around the same time, I know the Football League has 40 or so managers under the age of 40, but are any of them actually highly touted? I think the Managerment scene has become a bit stale.

Can we have him please?

Same!

Do you honestly think Lerner had any clue who the hell Martin O'Neill was ? Ellis made the appointment. End of story. Lerner can take credit but he didn't make the appointment nor would know anything about him. Lerner knew and knows nothing about "soccer" trust me, he got rid of the hated Ellis and put up some money for transfers, he's also stayed out of the limelight, that's all gone down well, but his manager and the previous regime have made his job easy. Now's his test, he's got to get this appointment right, I hope he fucks it up :) But whatever he needs to get some advice from some experts because he can't make that decision himself.

Everton have just as much chance of becoming more fluid than Villa, the signs are clearly there that the money at Villa has dried up.

Which is why he appointed o'Neill, he took advice. Because his track record was as impressive as Souness', most of the footballing community thought o'Neill was the new Ferguson/Clough/Platini, so Lerner let the winds take him. He did this because he was self-aware enough to not presume he knew better. It was probably the wrong decision in my view, as I seem to remember there were better options available at the time (I forget who - maybe Jol?), but I appreciate the reasoning behind it. He was going for what he was told was the best.

Like I say, Lerner (and his people, I keep referring to them because it isn't just a one-man team running things and you're right that Lerner didn't know much about football when he turned up) effectively used Ellis as a puppet during that period. It was a tricky period as all parties, o'Neill, Ellis and to a lesser extent the Americans, had to cover their backs in case the protracted deal didn't go through, while at the same time wanting to make the best decisions they could. Among other things, o'Neill didn't want to sign for stingy Ellis, Ellis was afraid of being left with a frantic bloke who he could never work with if the deal broke down, and the Americans wanted to make sure Ellis didn't appoint someone they didn't want and spoil their investment.

I'll let brummie comment on the idea Ellis' time made Lerner's subsequent job easy. It's not a straight-forward story, admittedly, but not too many people look back on Aston Villa's pre-Lerner structure fondly.

Re: finances, from what information I have, that just isn't the case. Only time will prove to us one way or another, neither of us are in a position to know for certain. Whatever is the case will obviously shape our other views.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was mentioned in relation to the vacancy on Central News.Ex Villa stalwart and all that jazz,it's not out of the question,imo.

I know the connections are there, but if people are saying Chris Hughton is a 'Yes Man', then Gareth Southgate was Sally from 'When Harry Met Sally' 'Yes Man'. If the rumors are true, he never actually ran the team and asked senior players what to do. Which, for some reason, I can believe. Southgate to Villa would be such a huge disappointment to any Villa fan - big step down after MoN.

Can we have him please?

Same!

Might agree with you on Everton, but you're wrong about O'Neill - his appointment was OK'd by Lerner as a manager was needed there and then and the takeover was still going through. I think that Lerner has more potential than Bill Kenwright as a chairman, but it would take more than that for Moyes to move.

I think there may be some parallel between Redknapp and O'Neill here. Both managers were used to running the show, both managers had been indulged by their chairmen but when Lerner said enough, it looks like MON may have bolted. Levy did likewise and Redknapp may grumble but he gets on with it. Villa's wages/turnover ration ain't great.

Like I said before Lerner probably had no clue who the hell O'Neill was, taking any credit in his appointment is a bit far fetched.

Villa's turnover versus wage issue, is a chairmain level problem not a Manager's, and it's not helped by the fact that Villa fans hardly turn up in numbers.

We won't be lucky enough though for them to appoint a Souness type manager, that sort of shit only happens at Newcastle. I'm sure Lerner will take some good counsel and bring in a good replacement, but he'll have to be good just to maintain the work that O'Neill has done.

Brummie, you can gloss it up all you like but where were Villa before o'neill took over?  I know Lerner has spent decent money but that seems to have dried up.  If I was a Villa fan I'd be gutted.

Well, strictly speaking, we'd finished sixth under O'Leary two years before MON arrived.

You want O'leray back ? And if you take that one year out of the equation, it's not so rosey.

Yes it is, actually.

Since football was invented in 1992, our average position is about 7th.

And no, i dont want O'Leary back, but assuming villa pre MON was entirely about DOL's last two years is daft.

I wonder what our average position is.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Villa fans won't be appointing the next manager,and I'm sure being a Yes man will probably appeal to Lerner.

Never said they would be, but you can't deny they'd be disappointed if Southgate was hired.

Other differences are the standard of football, a couple of cups and Champion's League qualification, all of which always helps with the turnover...

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Screw it. I've just finished writing up my coaching prospectus for another job I applied to, might throw my name into the hat!  :smiley6600:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Perhaps its just my own view on Southgate, but they'd be really scrapping the barrell if they appointed him. Though I'm not entirely sure who they could appoint, like I said above, the management scene is very stale and doesn't seem to have changed at all in the last 10-15 years in regards to talented managers/reputation.