Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Hope the vile c*** supporters are devastated.

Same!

Been waiting for something to laugh at Villa about since the horrible c***s acted like small time c***s about us going down. Hopefully they flog all of their best players and plummet.

Don't count your chickens - unless Lerner's lost interest, which he hasn't really so far as I'm aware, I'd be over the moon if I were them and this could be the best thing to happen to them since o'Neill was appointed. The timing's pretty horrible of course... but nevertheless.

Why the fuck would you be over the moon ? Are you insane ? The bloke totally transformed a strugglling prem club into one of the top clubs 8 clubs in the country, there's nothing better out there available for Villa right now.

No, Lerner & co. did that, he's been holding them back in my view. The only thing you might be right on is the idea they can't get anything much better just at the moment.

Brummie, you can gloss it up all you like but where were Villa before o'neill took over?  I know Lerner has spent decent money but that seems to have dried up.  If I was a Villa fan I'd be gutted.

then you read emile heskey 60,000 a week and suddenly villa fans dislike makes sense

I'd love to see how much he's spent (wasted) compared to David Moyes, now there's a manager who has a right to quit over transfer backing.

Guest Geordiesned

MsiDouglas

Got the impression from my old Midlands colleagues MON not popular. Jovial public image bore little resemblance to way he conducted himself

Brummie, you can gloss it up all you like but where were Villa before o'neill took over?  I know Lerner has spent decent money but that seems to have dried up.  If I was a Villa fan I'd be gutted.

Well, strictly speaking, we'd finished sixth under O'Leary two years before MON arrived.

Guest firetotheworks

I wouldn't be gutted if I was a Villa fan tbh, I'd be happy at the possibility of seeing football that isn't just crosses and crosses and crosses and crosses and you get the idea.

Fuking mental, poor Villa.

Can we have him please?

I was going to ask if you were joking, but I've just had to remind myself how far we've fallen since I was pointing out o'Neill's was totally unproven as a top quality manager. I do think he's someone who can consistently achieve that top ten/UEFA hole with virtually any club, and that combined with his particular style as a manager mean it might not actually be a bad move for us just now. Still don't like him and don't much want him, though - would be happier to press on with Hughton.

Same!

Been waiting for something to laugh at Villa about since the horrible c***s acted like small time c***s about us going down. Hopefully they flog all of their best players and plummet.

Don't count your chickens - unless Lerner's lost interest, which he hasn't really so far as I'm aware, I'd be over the moon if I were them and this could be the best thing to happen to them since o'Neill was appointed. The timing's pretty horrible of course... but nevertheless.

Why the f*** would you be over the moon ? Are you insane ? The bloke totally transformed a strugglling prem club into one of the top clubs 8 clubs in the country, there's nothing better out there available for Villa right now.

Randy Lerner transformed them. Any manager in the league could take a team that changes from one of the lowest budgets in the league to one of the highest in Europe from the bottom half to the top. He's still finished no higher than every Villa manager I can remember and looked clueless has to how to take them further. What is this nonsense about Liverpool ffs  :lol: His tactics and transfer policy (What is it, 3 foreign signings ever?) belong in the bottom half.

He barely bought anyone as he was brought in just before or after the window had closed, took over a team that had finished just above the relegation spots and suddenly they were top half of the table. He's worked wonders with the likes of Agbolohar (sp?), Milner and Barry. Lerner had a part to play in all that of course, but it's his manager that's transformed thm. As a side note, Lerner's Cleveland Browns have been one of the worst franchises in the NFL for as long as Lerner has been in charge, he's not thought of in great light on this side of the pond.

Guest Geordiesned

Who's your next Messiah? Ron Atkinson or David O'Leary? hahahahaha twats

Noddy Holder or Barry from Auf Weidersehen Pet? :lol:

Well, strictly speaking, we'd finished sixth under O'Leary two years before MON arrived.

You want O'leray back ? And if you take that one year out of the equation, it's not so rosey.

Can we have him please?

I was going to ask if you were joking, but I've just had to remind myself how far we've fallen since I was pointing out o'Neill's was totally unproven as a top quality manager. I do think he's someone who can consistently achieve that top ten/UEFA hole with virtually any club, and that combined with his particular style as a manager mean it might not actually be a bad move for us just now. Still don't like him and don't much want him, though - would be happier to press on with Hughton.

He would be a massive step up, but considering the rumours why he's leaving Villa to how we are currently run there's no chance on earth he'd come here, it would be out of the fire and in to the sun.

Heh, yeah pretty much. Only thing is Lerner's mob are intelligent and strong-minded. So far as I'm aware, they've always done what they think is best for the Aston Villa's future and it's usually been right. In contrast, our lot are short-sighted cowards who might actually respond to o'Neill's assuredness, funnily enough - I know at first sight he can appear like Keegan, but I think the dynamics would be different and could (not definitely would) turn out more in his favour... at least long enough for him to give us stable premiership mediocrity for 2 to four seasons. Of course, our board have shown they only need six months to turn that kind of position into relegation, but that's another story.

I'd love a manger to come in to pressure the board, I thought Keegan was that man, not with threats of walking, but in terms of selling the club and the idea of spending to build quickly for a better future. I have doubts MON would make a difference to this lot, and the result would be the same, a club looking for a new manager.

Thing is it is a daft move for MON, the offer for Milner is huge, and anyone would take it, so his reasons are flaky, but even worse is his timing, 5 days before the start of the season. I know there's no loyalty in football, and if results went against him his job is on the line, but leaving like this at this time feels like he's trying to do as much damage as possible, very Keegan like imo.

Can we have him please?

Same!

Why the f*** would you be over the moon ? Are you insane ? The bloke totally transformed a strugglling prem club into one of the top clubs 8 clubs in the country, there's nothing better out there available for Villa right now.

Randy Lerner transformed them. Any manager in the league could take a team that changes from one of the lowest budgets in the league to one of the highest in Europe from the bottom half to the top. He's still finished no higher than every Villa manager I can remember and looked clueless has to how to take them further. What is this nonsense about Liverpool ffs  :lol: His tactics and transfer policy (What is it, 3 foreign signings ever?) belong in the bottom half.

He barely bought anyone as he was brought in just before or after the window had closed, took over a team that had finished just above the relegation spots and suddenly they were top half of the table. He's worked wonders with the likes of Agbolohar (sp?), Milner and Barry. Lerner had a part to play in all that of course, but it's his manager that's transformed thm. As a side note, Lerner's Cleveland Browns have been one of the worst franchises in the NFL for as long as Lerner has been in charge, he's not thought of in great light on this side of the pond.

Lerner is the man who has done most to transform the club, far far more than MON has.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is talking nonsense, I'm afraid.

Same!

No, Lerner & co. did that, he's been holding them back in my view. The only thing you might be right on is the idea they can't get anything much better just at the moment.

No they didn't ffs, look at that first season, look at what he did with a squad that the previous season was almost relegated.

Amazing stuff, and quite ridiculous timing. I've no real problem with Villa tbh (OH NOES, THEY TOOK THE PISS OUT OF US! AT THE FOOTBALL!) but this has to be good news for the likes of us. Especially considering we're playing them second game.

Agree with whoever said it makes a nice change for it not to be us in utter turmoil.

You want O'leray back ? And if you take that one year out of the equation, it's not so rosey.

Yes it is, actually.

Since football was invented in 1992, our average position is about 7th.

And no, i dont want O'Leary back, but assuming villa pre MON was entirely about DOL's last two years is daft.