Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

So basically our policy is to look to bring in players who are worth a lot more than we pay for them. And if another club wants one of our prized players they will have to pay a price that gives the targeted return. That's not all bad and better than some policies we have had in the past.

It's not a bad policy if the money is reinvested. But rebuilding the team every year on a tight budget is risky business. We essentially "got away with it" with Andy Carroll, but if you take key players out of your team and replace them with free transfers it won't always end well.

Generally speaking, successful teams are those who keep hold of their better players. You look at Newcastle squads since Bobby Robson and there has been very little continuity in any area of the field. You would hope that by giving his manager a long term contract Ashley was looking to change that but the departures of Enrique, Barton, Nolan and Carroll suggest we will be rebuilding yet again next summer.

It may be a business model and a good one BUT this is football and at times the player can be more important than a 300% profit margin. When it comes to players such as Tiote, Colo, Krul or Demba then a good profit should not matter, there is good reason to invest money in players we need rather than sell a prized assets to fund them.

If progression as a club is not the aim then why own us? surely the point is to be successful to win trophies and get into Europe not just making money on players. I cam'y see how selling Tiote is good for in anyway, even if it was for £50m how much of that would go on new players?

IF we are so financially stable then we do we need to sell, its not as though we need the money yes we need to make a few signings but why can't Ashley fund that seriously why not?

INVEST and give us the very best chance of a top 6 finish.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, after all we support a football team not a business model. And of course if other clubs come along in January and offer the required rate for Ba, Colo, Cabaye Krul and Tiote and we agree to let them go then it would be an unmitigated disaster. There has to be some balance to any transfer policy - however the principle of looking for value in the transfer market has to be a lot better than the alternative.

It may be a business model and a good one BUT this is football and at times the player can be more important than a 300% profit margin. When it comes to players such as Tiote, Colo, Krul or Demba then a good profit should not matter, there is good reason to invest money in players we need rather than sell a prized assets to fund them.

If progression as a club is not the aim then why own us? surely the point is to be successful to win trophies and get into Europe not just making money on players. I cam'y see how selling Tiote is good for in anyway, even if it was for £50m how much of that would go on new players?

IF we are so financially stable then we do we need to sell, its not as though we need the money yes we need to make a few signings but why can't Ashley fund that seriously why not?

Simples, Ashley aint interested in finishing in the top 6. 

Way to much cash required to make that viable year on year.

So basically our policy is to look to bring in players who are worth a lot more than we pay for them. And if another club wants one of our prized players they will have to pay a price that gives the targeted return. That's not all bad and better than some policies we have had in the past.

It's not a bad policy if the money is reinvested. But rebuilding the team every year on a tight budget is risky business. We essentially "got away with it" with Andy Carroll, but if you take key players out of your team and replace them with free transfers it won't always end well.

Generally speaking, successful teams are those who keep hold of their better players. You look at Newcastle squads since Bobby Robson and there has been very little continuity in any area of the field. You would hope that by giving his manager a long term contract Ashley was looking to change that but the departures of Enrique, Barton, Nolan and Carroll suggest we will be rebuilding yet again next summer.

I may have picked up some of that in my response to Skirge and I wouldn't disagree with most of your post. I have to say that I'm not sure that the departure all of those players you mention has necessarily weakened the squad, Enrique would be the obvious exception to me but I don't think the case for any of the others is that strong.

thats the point though as yet we aren't financially stable, we've just stopped making massive losses. the next set of accounts (those that include the carroll money i think) should tell us more about where the club is heading and then watch and see if ashley decides to take his money back.

regarding the 300%...if it means buying players we think should be worth/we can develop into players worth, 300% more then thats not bad. however many will read into it that if anyone offers 300% more than what we paid then we WILL sell.

:thup:

I can understand the business model but you have to keep the foundations of a team intact. Losing Tiote, Krul, Demba, Coloccini - the core players if you like (the foundations) would massively set us back. Ashley needs to understand that you have to keep the core if you want to succeed in the long term. Sure, the level of potential profit in the short term is quite attractive but the bigger picture needs to be looked at.

Of course, Ashley has broken foundations before so the situation concerning possible outgoing transfers is always precarious.

Valencia and Udinese are very good at this, very good at finding adequate replacements quickly and turning a profit. I am less confident as to our ability, especially since even though we've done very well we've hardly plucked players out of total obscurity, merely the top tier of the french league.

Tiote is too integral of a player to assume we could adequately reinvest in a better player who would fit in. I do not believe we will use the money to buy a big name player either, we are no less likely not to try and sell them on, would likely not make such a profit as with buying cheap players and taking a bigger risk. I say even if Tiote does want to go we force him to stay, if that puts him off playing next year at least we'll have made somewhat of an example that we aren't necessarily going to balk at the first big offer, and if he acts professionally and keeps the performances up, even if we do sell him in the summer his value is hardly going to plummet, he has plenty of time on contract.

Maybe we will end up like Valencia, selling our big names and replacing them competantly year on year. I just wouldn't count on it, more likely is we sell and have a disappointing second half of season without him, and never adequately replace, or at least disrupt the team spirit and ethic with all the chopping and changing.

You really should tell the local press about these objectives, if you haven't already. Sure they would love to expose them, and fans would love to know about them.

The 'direct line' between Oliver and Shepherd (that Ryder told me personally about) now exists between the communications (PR) team at the club and Douglas/Ryder. Ryder's own views are limited to his blog and webchats. NCJ cannot afford to bite the hand that feeds - and instead works as a sounding board for the club's agenda. As you may have already guessed, every press statement (including Llambias') from the club is written by Wendy Taylor and co. approved at boardroom level, and distributed to the press.

I've been advised by a national tabloid sports journalist that they couldn't report such a story without some form of recording.

Basically in the past Shepherd was indirectly "The Club Insider" except he never actually spoke to Oliver, his mate Les Rayner did.

Guest Haris Vuckic

My mates in the room wearing is TIOTE 24 shirt before we head out to the game.

If it's owt bad I'm simply not telling him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/7390652/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Cheick Tiote has told skysports.com that he is flattered by reported interest in him, but insists he 'loves' Newcastle United.

The Ivorian has emerged as one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premier League since joining Newcastle in 2010 from FC Twente.

His progress was rewarded in February this year with a six-and-half-year deal - but recent weeks has seen speculation increase that Newcastle could face a fight to hang on to him.

Chelsea were first to be credited with an interest, but Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool are all now said to be keeping close tabs on his situation.

However, Tiote insists that he is not thinking about leaving - although he is flattered by the interest.

"I am flattered by clubs interested but there is nothing official," he told skysports.com.

"When teams such as Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United are interested in you it makes you think twice, but I love Newcastle, I belong to Newcastle and I enjoy my life here."