Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

To be fair to Tiote, I think he has obviously been told (and rightly so) to improve the areas of his game that would see him become a decent international standard player. Unfortunately, that is where he is more limited, i.e. in his passing and attacking game. If he is told to stick to what he does best and be a play-breaker and not a play-maker then he will look decent again. He's the exact sort of player we will need on the pitch against the better sides in my opinion, especially at home when we want to get in their faces and gee the fans up a bit. If he can just make the tackles an knock it 5/10 yards to the likes of Cabaye then everyone wins.

I hope we move him on. Was an excellent defensive midfielder in his first 1.5 seasons here, but Pardew tried to change his game too much following the Arsenal goal, and now we're left with a midfielder who has absolutely no clue what he's meant to be doing or how to do it. Very similar with Scott Parker and Roeder's attempt to change him into the new Steven Gerrard after a wondergoal against Charlton. Given that we have significantly better options now we just can't afford to attempt to stick it out with him and hope he turns the miserable form around. Just have to hope Pardew sees this and that he's not too stubborn/arrogant to realise his experiment has failed and Tiote needs to be dumped.

I hope we move him on. Was an excellent defensive midfielder in his first 1.5 seasons here, but Pardew tried to change his game too much following the Arsenal goal, and now we're left with a midfielder who has absolutely no clue what he's meant to be doing or how to do it. Very similar with Scott Parker and Roeder's attempt to change him into the new Steven Gerrard after a wondergoal against Charlton. Given that we have significantly better options now we just can't afford to attempt to stick it out with him and hope he turns the miserable form around. Just have to hope Pardew sees this and that he's not too stubborn/arrogant to realise his experiment has failed and Tiote needs to be dumped.

:ben:

I don't really believe his problems are to do with being told to change his game. I think it's more to do with opponents working out how to pressure him and make him lose the ball.

There's a difference between changing your game and trying to add to your game though, and everyone should be trying to add to their game. I think that's what's happened here, Tiote is limited and what they are trying to add to his game he cannot consistently do.

He can't even consistently get the ball from his defenders without cocking up, man. Stop trying to make a sub from Twente into some sort of footballing riddle.

Harsh like as he was immense for us at times, but definitely is starting to scare me every time he gets the ball, especially when we're only 2-1 up away from home.

I don't really believe his problems are to do with being told to change his game. I think it's more to do with opponents working out how to pressure him and make him lose the ball.

It's a fair point, but I personally don't see it - at best it's just one of a number of factors that have led to Tiote's massive slump in performance standards.

For example, for the most part he was a great DM during his first 1.5 seasons here, prior to leaving for the ACoN along with Ba. If teams had wanted to figure him out, they'd have done it within a season, because in his first season here there were plenty of nail-biting moments where he was pressured in front of the back four and took major risks, sometimes getting caught out. Just prior to leaving for the ACoN he had a MOTM standard performance against ManU where he bossed the game - when he came back from the ACoN he was absolutely dire and looked (to me) overweight and slow. He hasn't recovered any kind of form since then, and I severely doubt club managers had all gotten together whilst Tiote was in Africa for a month or two and shared dossiers on him, all agreeing that pressuring him was the way to go. No, his form dipped, it has remained at the trough, and it has little to do with opposition teams doing anything different - much like Cisse being unable to do anything right now, it's more about confidence, fitness and mentality. If Tiote today was to play the same ManU side from December 2011, he'd be absolutely atrocious imo, because that's the kind of form he's in and the way he's playing.

And that's where I think Pardew needs to accept a big part of the blame, along with the other factors (fitness, confidence, the downwards spiraling standard of football in the team as a whole, and possibly teams pressuring him more). We know for a fact he wanted more from Tiote on the ball because he said so in the media - I specifically remember an interview where he says there's more to come from Cheik because he has the ability to have more of an impact on the ball, and that Cheik needed to take on more responsibility in this department (one that didn't involve an Essien quote, so a different quote but not one that I can easily find). On top of this, he's filled Tiote's head with this notion that he's some kind of warrior tank when the one thing Tiote didn't need was encouragement to be even more reckless. Maybe I'm letting my dislike of Pardew cloud things, but as with the Scott Parker example where an attempt to change the player on the basis of a one-off goal is made, if it's the manager who prompts the change then the manager needs to accept a big chunk of the blame.

As a side note (and a relevant analogy to Tiote), I think it's also a fact that players can forget to play the way they should be playing given their abilities. Aan Shearer was a prime example of this - under Gullitt he was absolutely gash by his own standards, and that would have continued under Sir Bobby had Sir Bobby not reminded Shearer to stop playing with his back to goal and start playing on the half-turn again (something both player and manager openly discussed, with a massive turnaround in form being the clear result of that change). If something as simple as that needed to be pointed out to the best Premiership striker of his generation then naturally the same can happen to anyone, and clearly guidance may be needed from the manager to turn things around again. Tiote needs to play a more simple game, to focus entirely on sitting, intercepting, and passing it away to the nearest teammate, in short playing exactly how Anita is playing right now or how he himself was playing in his first season here. The problem is that we have a manager who doesn't want to him play this way - Pardew wants Shearer to play with his back to goal so to speak.

Tiote needs to play a more simple game, to focus entirely on sitting, intercepting, and passing it away to the nearest teammate, in short playing exactly how Anita is playing right now or how he himself was playing in his first season here. The problem is that we have a manager who doesn't want to him play this way - Pardew wants Shearer to play with his back to goal so to speak.

did this against villa tbf, very noticeable when i was watching him...got the ball and moved it quickly and short...that site someone posted showed he made 20 passes with 90% accuracy after he came on

he can be effective if he keeps it simple, i've always believed this

one thing you didn't touch on in your post i felt was the moments of outright idiocy he has on a far too regular basis...if he cuts them down and plays the ball fast and short when he wins it he'll be ok again for us

anita should start every home game without question, can see how pardew might want tiote performing the same role away but with more strength (albeit it's not what i would do)

It's garbage, tbh. Trying to dissect Cheick Tiote as a footballer is as pointless as offering an objective critique of Gary Glitter's sexual performance.

ronaldo backs up flimsy opinion with nothing shocker

Flimsy opinion. :lol:

90% of the forum and pretty much every PL manager have Tiote's weaknesses sussed. If you wanna carry on being silly or pretending to be silly, fine.

It's garbage, tbh. Trying to dissect Cheick Tiote as a footballer is as pointless as offering an objective critique of Gary Glitter's sexual performance.

ronaldo backs up flimsy opinion with nothing shocker

Flimsy opinion. :lol:

90% of the forum and pretty much every PL manager has Tiote's weaknesses sussed. If you wanna carry on being silly or pretending to be silly, fine.

2 points:

agree his weaknesses were exposed and exploited

for the last year or more he's played in the most static team in the PL imo, as a team we've been constantly on the back foot and under pressure hence all the long balls and almost getting relegated

i don't see these things in isolation, the second enhanced the first to the point where he barely looked a footballer anymore, i agree, but he showed on saturday that if he has options for a short pass (which it looks like he now has) he can still win the ball and play it simple

no-one is saying he'll be a world beater again but don't tell me he can't make a passable PL DM 'cause that's horseshit...i'm not saying tmonkeys entire post was right but the last sentence or so is spot on, there is absolutely no reason he can't emulate the anita role albeit with a more defensive focus