Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd be happy to get rid of him, but I've got an awful feeling that he'll leave us and do a Milner.

Without trying to derail the topic, at the time, not a single person (other than KK) would have turned down 9million cash up front for Milner, with his sell-on clause pre-bundled in for another 3million to make it a total of 12m. At the time he was very average with no signs that he would progress in the way that he has.

Same situation for Taylor now, he could go on and be a good defender, but right now, he hasn't progressed in 6 years let alone 3, still does the same things he always has. If he does well somewhere else, good luck to him. But right now, some cash for our 4th choice center back to help strengthen other areas is a good deal for us.

Good riddance, the fact it took this long to negotiate showed they fucked about and now we had enough.

We're been trying to tie him down for a new contract for almost two years, if he really wanted to stay he would have accepted a decent wage compared with his other team mates.

but oh no Taylor has other ideas, he see's himself as the big dog, and the way the club has supported Carroll's knock out punch, plus seeing him loved by the toon obviously didnt help matters either. 

Goodbye Taylor, u gaylord!  :kinnear:

If we can sell Taylor for between £5-10mil then bring in Marc Wilson of Portmouth on the cheap = happy days

:kasper:

English players are always overpriced

Aye but his contract is up in 10 months, if someone offered £5m I'd snap their fucking hand off.

Can see us getting about £2-3m now or if we're lucky £1-1.5m in January.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we lose him. I think he makes a pretty good right back in the defensive mould (a la Gary Neville) and would walk into our first team in that position. Not to mention he can play both CB and RB, is a homegrown talent and is not a bad player.

Good teams are often built around homegrown players. You'll struggle to find many examples of top teams built entirely on imports.

We have no idea who is to blame, the club or the player. The wage demands are probably pure speculation. The timing suggests the club fears losing him for nothing, but the penny-pinching nature of Ashley suggests he could be 'balancing the books' and the fact he has released this on the back of a 6-0 win - an easy time to release bad news.

If we lose him, I think we'll be weaker. It's hard to just click your fingers and replace a decent homegrown player. Some might disagree he's decent, but proven players don't come cheap and unproven players are a gamble. We may (and knowing us, probably will) end up with worse.

I'd much rather keep him because a back four of Enrique, Colo, Williamson, Taylor looks alright to me.

Just when you start to think this club is going in the right direction. For f*** sake he's a quality defender, one of England's better defenders aswell, not only that but he's NUFC through and through.

He as a future Newcastle captain in my honest opinion, and now it looks like he's off.

Well said stiffler i totally agree. I remember most of the bell ends on here were glad when Milner etc went aswell. Probably worth a look back to see who they are and some will still unbelievably not see they were wrong (the biggest cretins of all). Coulden't believe it and was gutted myself, as the lads  quality was obvious, as is S. Taylor a quality player in my opinion. This will be another one of many we will live to regret IF he leaves, mark my words.

Big IF though still, as the lad clearly loves NUFC and hopefully this is the club forcing his hand and he'll decide to stay. If he doesn't stay we best get a replacement in very quickly as Colo and Willy look good so far (early days yet still) but if one or both get get injured we could be up s*** creek as no ones 100% sure if Campbells still up to it. Kadar's injured, still a bit young and better off as a replacement at LB for now.

We'll get about £4m for him imo.

So that is were the money is coming from for the Tiote deal.

Yep.

Do you think we'll sell him (injured) before Tuesday?

I think someone will make an attempt for him, yeah. Gosling is injured for far longer but it didn't stop us taking a chance on him. I guess the difference is who Taylor will want to go to, considering his supposed wage demands here.

Nobody will want him in January like.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we lose him. I think he makes a pretty good right back in the defensive mould (a la Gary Neville) and would walk into our first team in that position. Not to mention he can play both CB and RB, is a homegrown talent and is not a bad player.

Good teams are often built around homegrown players. You'll struggle to find many examples of top teams built entirely on imports.

We have no idea who is to blame, the club or the player. The wage demands are probably pure speculation. The timing suggests the club fears losing him for nothing, but the penny-pinching nature of Ashley suggests he could be 'balancing the books' and the fact he has released this on the back of a 6-0 win - an easy time to release bad news.

If we lose him, I think we'll be weaker. It's hard to just click your fingers and replace a decent homegrown player. Some might disagree he's decent, but proven players don't come cheap and unproven players are a gamble. We may (and knowing us, probably will) end up with worse.

I'd much rather keep him because a back four of Enrique, Colo, Williamson, Taylor looks alright to me.

I strictly disagree he's a crap fullback, the only reason he looked good because we always had turds playing at rightback before him.  Beye made taylor looked gay at rightback. 

Chelsea really only have Terry, Alex and Ivanovic to play centre back right now. I would be more than happy with a straight swap of Taylor for Mancienne. Mancienne will also provide more options at centre back, defensive midfield and right back. Hope he doesn't join Wolves again.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Arsenal 2001-Present

Real Madrid - Countless times

Inter Milan - Its entire history

I think this is bad news tbh, absolutely sure he'll do a "Milner" when he leaves, and go on to be a quality CB. We'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 million I think for him right now, we don't have the biggest squad and Taylor can fill two roles CB and RB.

I hope this is not true or just a scare tactic by Newcastle to get some progress, 60k is outrageous I agree, but some club may be prepared to pay him that.

We'll get about £4m for him imo.

So that is were the money is coming from for the Tiote deal.

Yep.

Do you think we'll sell him (injured) before Tuesday?

I think someone will make an attempt for him, yeah. Gosling is injured for far longer but it didn't stop us taking a chance on him. I guess the difference is who Taylor will want to go to, considering his supposed wage demands here.

Nobody will want him in January like.

Problem is chairmen want to see their cash investment on show ASAP, cash for an injured player is not the done thing. Freebie transfer a different matter tho ^^

If his wage demands are to be believed then i cant see us paying it.  I know I wouldn't.

Arsenal 2001-Present

Bollocks.

people can stop dreaming about us getting Ben Arfa, other than a strictly loan deal,  cus thats another turd who's demanding in excess of 80K .

no fucking deal.

I strictly disagree he's a crap fullback, the only reason he looked good because we always had turds playing at rightback before him.  Beye made taylor looked gay at rightback. 

Seen him put in some quality performances there, a couple of times against Arsenal spring to mind. Sure he had poor games, but so did Coloccini who is suddenly flavour of the month, not to mention Enrique. He has the ability.

We don't have Beye any more, so I stand by the fact he would walk into our team and those aren't the sort of players you sell unless you can line up a better replacement.

He's our best center back by miles

:facepalm:

People have forgotten just how piss poor Colo was when we got relegated, at one point Taylor was the only player who was giving us a fighting chance against going down, Willo has been decent indeed but he's not by any means proved in the EPL, just because we've beaten Villa 6-0 dosn't mean their going to keep doing this all season, Sol Campbell is 35 and i still not match fit, so i'd pretty much rather have our one proven premier league center back than any of those 3.

Taylor was just as culpable if not more so for a lot of the goals he and Coloccini conceeded. For example I can remember Colo getting a bollocking for a goal we let in against West Ham in our relegation season yet it was Taylor getting stupidly dragged out of position that was the reason Colo was left trying to mark two men. That was one of many.

He's overrated and a bit of a knobber to boot. If he's not willing to accept £40k a week sell him and bring in Marc Wilson.

Guest Geordiecunny

My only concern is with our other defenders because I can't see any other defenders at the club who are both proven and likely to hang around for a number of years.

I can't see Colo knocking around for the rest of his career, maybe another 3 years or so. Williamson seems to have real quality and could be someone who's one good season away from a big move. Campbell, aside from questions over his fitness, isn't a long term player: 2 years tops. Kadar and Tavernier are totally unproven and Perch is primarily a full back.

So whilst it isn't a disaster, I can see it meaning that we need to bring someone of real quality and experience in in a couple of years time- and if Ashley is still in charge this means trying do so for a maximum of £3m or so.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Arsenal 2001-Present

Bollocks.

Perhaps its entire history was a broad stroke, but its entire existence was set up as a club for Foreigners! Certainly, associate their success with 'imports' over homegrown talent though. Certainly more often than not.

Guest Roger Kint

Taylor is back in October, being a shoulder injury it clouds the medical side of a deal going through as its a reoccurring thing but i fully beleive someone will be in for him even though we may end up with under £3m by Tuesday. Hopefully with sizable add-ons and sell-on clause.

Just when you start to think this club is going in the right direction. For f*** sake he's a quality defender, one of England's better defenders aswell, not only that but he's NUFC through and through.

He as a future Newcastle captain in my honest opinion, and now it looks like he's off.

Well said stiffler i totally agree. I remember most of the bell ends on here were glad when Milner etc went aswell. Probably worth a look back to see who they are and some will still unbelievably not see they were wrong (the biggest cretins of all). Coulden't believe it and was gutted myself, as the lads  quality was obvious, as is S. Taylor a quality player in my opinion. This will be another one of many we will live to regret IF he leaves, mark my words.

Big IF though still, as the lad clearly loves NUFC and hopefully this is the club forcing his hand and he'll decide to stay. If he doesn't stay we best get a replacement in very quickly as Colo and Willy look good so far (early days yet still) but if one or both get get injured we could be up s*** creek as no ones 100% sure if Campbells still up to it. Kadar's injured, still a bit young and better off as a replacement at LB for now.

Milner was a first team player, the only reason people were happy enough to see him go was due to the £12m fee.  Taylor on the other hand is our third or fourth choice center back.  He is not a fucking quality player and if you think we should have paid him £60k a week you're mad IMO.