Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest Geordiecunny

My only concern is with our other defenders because I can't see any other defenders at the club who are both proven and likely to hang around for a number of years.

I can't see Colo knocking around for the rest of his career, maybe another 3 years or so. Williamson seems to have real quality and could be someone who's one good season away from a big move. Campbell, aside from questions over his fitness, isn't a long term player: 2 years tops. Kadar and Tavernier are totally unproven and Perch is primarily a full back.

So whilst it isn't a disaster, I can see it meaning that we need to bring someone of real quality and experience in in a couple of years time- and if Ashley is still in charge this means trying do so for a maximum of £3m or so.

Taylor isn't anymore likely to hang around then anyone else though is he?, this situations proves that.  Coloccini may or not not end his career here but if he doesn't we should get a fee.  Also if you're worrying that Williamson might get a big move somewhere else that also provides cash to spend a hell of a lot more then £3m on new defenders.  Its nonsense to say that if Ashley's still here we can't expect to buy a player for more then £3m no matter what the situation.  Plus Williamson cost about £1m didn't he?

I'd be very very surprised if Ashley ever spends more than £3-4m on any player again. Besides, anyone coming in for more than that might expect 60k type wages and this situation surely proves that we don't pay that.

Proves nothing of the sort, just that we don't think Taylor is worth that.

Agree to disagree on that one. I think he's one of our best players and if we aren't prepared to pay him more than 40, we're unlikely to give anyone 60.

Anything over 2 million I'd take gladly, especially if the alternative is paying 40k/week for the next 36 weeks then having him leave for nothing. 

I think this is what's driving it, pure financial prudence basically. We seem to have worked out what the wage structure needs to be and we're now seeing the effects of it being implemented.

Yes, it will mean missing out on some transfer targets. Yes, it will mean some players leaving.

On the other hand, it will mean an end to spunking untold millions on overpaid wasters. I don't think Taylor is one of those, but he has to fall into line as well.

Home grown players are great if they are of the necessary quality. That's no justification for paying them inflated wages if they aren't.

Fair point, though that seems to be where we disagree. I think Taylor is the necessary quality because I think he walks into our first team.

As for the wage demands, I don't know who to believe. If the player is asking for too much then fair enough, but Ashley has enough form when it comes to penny pinching that I remain sceptical.

Who, or where, does it say Taylor is demanding £60k pw?

Seems that in situations like this numbers are just pulled out of the air and taken as fact.

sky sports news reporting that

Yeah 100% leaked by the club.. £40k offer - £60k asked for they knew they had to show why he was being transfer listed.

Guest johnson293

Slightly disappointing that its come to this, but if the £60k/week wage demands are true, then I dont blame them for listing him now.

At the end fo the day, he's not the greatest defender, isn't a full England Cap yet, now has a very suspect shoulder, and we are a club just promoted, with no guarantee of survival. Its the sky high wages that have (partly) put us in the situation now with the alleged wage ceiling.

If we can get £3-4m for him before the window closes, then I suppose that's better than nothing next summer.

With Williamson and Coloccini forming what could be a decent partnership and Campbell also on the sidelines, Taylors' best hope was probably right back, but even then we now have 3 players who can play there (R Taylor, Simpson and Perch).

If some/all of any fee could be put toward Ben Arfa or another creative midfielder, I'd be happy enough.

Home grown players are great if they are of the necessary quality. That's no justification for paying them inflated wages if they aren't.

Fair point, though that seems to be where we disagree. I think Taylor is the necessary quality because I think he walks into our first team.

As for the wage demands, I don't know who to believe. If the player is asking for too much then fair enough, but Ashley has enough form when it comes to penny pinching that I remain sceptical.

What has he done over the last two years to deserve a pay rise?

Anything over 2 million I'd take gladly, especially if the alternative is paying 40k/week for the next 36 weeks then having him leave for nothing. 

I think this is what's driving it, pure financial prudence basically. We seem to have worked out what the wage structure needs to be and we're now seeing the effects of it being implemented.

Yes, it will mean missing out on some transfer targets. Yes, it will mean some players leaving.

On the other hand, it will mean an end to spunking untold millions on overpaid wasters. I don't think Taylor is one of those, but he has to fall into line as well.

I, for one, am happy with this.

And to use this cunt as an example (not that there haven't been masses more of his kind here) but every time I think about what Michael Owen 'earned' during his time here I feel fucking nauseous.

Unless we get 4-5million i wouldnt sell him.

Aye, much better to pay his wages until he buggers off for nothing.

There's another possibility too, apparently we've offered 40k he wants 60k, I'm sure the common ground is 50k. Offer him them,  make sure it does not come into effect until the end of his surrent deal, he'll probably take it. If that is an amount Ashley would rather not, try to sell him in the next window, at least we would likely get more than a couple of million, which will not get us anyone of any quality to replace him, and we  desperately will need to replace him, the squad is too thin not to.

I can't work out how someone who supposedly loves the club could think asking for £60kpw is a good thing for its future the season back in the prem fighting for survival. Why that person would have problems with a relegation clause for reducing the wage I do not know because if it does happen again, we couldn't keep playing on with 100% wages and would impact the club greatly. surely he should put the club before him?

The club have done the right thing, but as always way too late. This should have been done at the end of the season allowing interest to build and decent offers coming in, as it stand we will see £2m for a defender worth £8m under a lengthy contract, and again, that's simply not acceptable by the club.

Taylor has been set back by the club, its coaches, its managers and why he's stalled in his development, no one could thrive in that, especially a young defender who's as thick as pig shit. At a decent club with proper coaches and stability he'll improve a lot, and worryingly will come somewhere close to the early promise he showed. Like it or not Bramble improved greatly after leaving here, and that was only to Wigan who again aren't the most stable, if Taylor goes to Chelsea or Arsenal, he'll be in England contention within a year or so; if Dawson can Taylor can.

With his injury and this latest development he as a player now at the club is FUBAR, he should be considered not to make our 25 (if we have 25) meaning he won't play till xmas, and why play a player over others in the 2nd half of the season when he's leaving? In total he could miss out in 18 months of football, and two years at the highest level, and if he's hell bent on leaving I hope this happens.

He's lucky to be paid £30k ATM, even with his contract running down £40k is a decent offer in our position, the sticking point for him is when the like of Colo is collecting £70k and he's nearing a free, he's then thinking he's worth it. He's not, and problem is Colo isn't worth half of that, but we overpaid in fee and salary and still high earners like him are still an unfortunate yardstick for negotiations.

A lot of people on here think I'm a Taylor fan, and I am, just as much as I am an Andy Carroll fan and any other local lad making it through the ranks and playing for our club, because its who I can relate too, but more than that I'm a Newcastle fan and put the club before any player, something people cannot get their head around, and if Taylor cannot put the club before himself, then I don't want to know, and becomes another fallen idol of mine like Given.

What has he done over the last two years to deserve a pay rise?

Read the post again. I don't know who to believe, whether the major pay rise is just media speculation or fact. They often throw around random numbers as speculation when it comes to players wages.

I would also be curious to know how much Sol Campbell is on, given the club's stated policy of investing in youth.

[sic]

"Led to understand Newcastle United very reluctantly have placed Steve Taylor on the transfer list. The club and Steven's representatives have been in negotiations for some time; we understand that Newcastle United have offered 4 year contract worth ~£40K a week. Steven Taylor wants £60k a week. Newcastle United have strict wage policy, they made it very clear about the strict finances at the club."

That from a twit/blog?

Anyway, it's no big loss with our current set-up. He's got bad advice from his father and now from his agent. Or.. he does want out following the bust-up with AC and finding no-one sided with him. He's a clown by all accounts and they tend to wear people thin when they don't know when to stop, dressing room harmony is going to be better without him by the looks of it. Football-wise he is middle of the road, he had heart though.

Don't know what to make of this bonus dispute that supposed to be rumbling around the rest of the team, I don't believe it at present but, well it's possible I guess.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Oh god.

I hope this doesn't lead to us signing David Wheater who is basically in the same situation at Boro with his contract running out the end of this season and negotiations on going.

[sic]

"Led to understand Newcastle United very reluctantly have placed Steve Taylor on the transfer list. The club and Steven's representatives have been in negotiations for some time; we understand that Newcastle United have offered 4 year contract worth ~£40K a week. Steven Taylor wants £60k a week. Newcastle United have strict wage policy, they made it very clear about the strict finances at the club."

That from a twit/blog?

No, I was sad enough to type it out as he (David Craig) spoke on SSN.  :harry:

Theyve taken the email address off the statement now, must have had mackems emailing them.

Eh? :lol:

I can't remember which statement it was last year or the year before but it included an email address and loads of sunderland fans emailed them taking the piss.

As if there ever was an email address in this statement :lol:

T H E Y  A R E  T A K I N G  T H E  P I S S  ;)

Theyve taken the email address off the statement now, must have had mackems emailing them.

Eh? :lol:

I can't remember which statement it was last year or the year before but it included an email address and loads of sunderland fans emailed them taking the piss.

That was selling the club.. this statement about Taylor never had an email adress

Oh god.

I hope this doesn't lead to us signing David Wheater who is basically in the same situation at Boro with his contract running out the end of this season and negotiations on going.

He is a better and cheaper option though.

[sic]

That from a twit/blog?

Anyway, it's no big loss with our current set-up. He's got bad advice from his father and now from his agent. Or.. he does want out following the bust-up with AC and finding no-one sided with him. He's a clown by all accounts and they tend to wear people thin when they don't know when to stop, dressing room harmony is going to be better without him by the looks of it. Football-wise he is middle of the road, he had heart though.

Don't know what to make of this bonus dispute that supposed to be rumbling around the rest of the team, I don't believe it at present but, well it's possible I guess.

Think its what David Craig said on SSN